Logs After Death

Discussion in 'TTT Suggestions' started by Chewie, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Chewie

Chewie deadrun mod VIP Bronze

I always seem to come across a situation when you die and you need to find out what actually happened during the situation to know whether to report or not, e.g. someone killed you for 'shooting them' but you don't actually remember, and you can't check the logs until after round! Between the time the round is over and the new round starts is very limited to actually check the logs. Having the logs being available after death would make it easier for the staff (causing less reports) because you actually know whether to report or not! I don't see how anyone could abuse this excluding ghosters which I rarely see within the servers.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

You don't know until you look at the logs if you did a traitorous act around the time you were killed? You forget that you shot someone right after they kill you?

I could see it being useful for someone damaged me mid round and didn't kill me, and I don't know who. But as far as not remembering if you shot that round, maybe you just need to remember when you shoot at people. Which if you shot at them but didn't damage them that would show in the shot logs which are not visible via console command anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chewie

It was just an example that I happened to see today..

4. Alisae

Alisae VIP Silver

In theory this could work but like you said:
    And although having less reports to deal with would be nice sometimes, it still is what the staff is there for.

Don't let this discourage you from making more suggestions though! It's just my opinion on it, hehe.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  5. Rek

Rek Ø

6. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

7. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

I will say it again like every time someone suggests this.

Players need 0 access to logs or anything like this.

It causes arguments and is utterly pointless.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Squidd

Squidd VIP

I agree with this. (As I was the one in question for the example)

The more info we have the better. Cant always rely on the mods.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Carned

They wouldn't be mods if they weren't reliable.
    Literally any and everything you could see in the logs is literally the most basic of staffing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Squidd

Squidd VIP

Ive had situations where I could have used the info myself, as the report has been disregarded by a mod who missed it, or left before dealing with the report.

I'll always say the more information we have access to the better. In this situation, we already have access but the method of retrieving it is overly difficult and time sensitive.
    I see no hurt in letting players access the logs real-time once they die.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Carned

I do, and I've listed them.

• Arguments
    • Players thinking they know more than staff (You dont!)
    • Players can't see shot logs, thus leading to assumptions
    It's really not worth it for the 1/500 times a mod may leave.
    If they do then you can report on the forums using ttt_damagelog, but then again I dont really think reporting for a single RDM is quantifiable enough to be on the forums.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Squidd

Squidd VIP

I'd understand your opinion if we didn't already have access to the info.
    But.
    It's already there. The system is implemented. Its just poorly optimized for use. This isn't a question of," Can we have damage logs?"
    This is a question of,"Can getting the damage logs not be a pain in my ass?"

As for the arguments against, I usually only see more educated players using the Damage logs, which can assist mods in expediting reports, not hindering.
    Having better damage logs would also help against miscommunication, and protect players for Staff Members mistakes/abuse.

And to add further, I wouldn't have to make single RDM reports if the !report system while a mod is missing wasn't so horrible.
    But thats an topic for another thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Carned

My point still stands.

Staff don't need help with anything, you are only hindering them by even getting involved.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  14. Squidd

Squidd VIP

As does mine. Players already have the info, just make its less of a hassle to retrieve. We also need protection against Staff Mistakes/Abuse.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Carned

Like i said previously.

The 1/100 mistakes are really not worth the other negatives.

16. Darth West

Darth West I am Darth West, Dark Lord of the Sith. VIP

It could help.

But it won't, because staff members don't need 20 or so people hassling them because they think they know more than the staff. I mean as a staff member you see people saying "I looked at the logs *coughs* and I saw someone shoot once and stop. THATS RDM". Then proceeds to spam the living hell out of you with questions. This toooootally helps. I mean who doesn't want to clutter the staffs chat with pointless questions about every single case of damage, I love distracting staff from doing their job.

^

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Squidd

Squidd VIP

I don't get it.. You're acting like making something more accessible will change something.

We can already see the logs.
    Making it so we can see them post-death rather than post-round won't change anything other than convenience.

Players like you're describing will already harassing staff in that manner because they ALREADY HAVE ACCESS.
    This isn't a debate over IF we should have logs, it's a matter of WHEN we can receive them.

I'd argue that receiving logs immediately would actually LOWER staff spam, as they can see for themselves right away, rather than making a possibly false report.

You're really missing the point of the thread. If you don't want any logs available, then make a new suggestion, as it has nothing to do with this thread.

18. DocFox

Your obviously didn't look at what was said all of the other times this was suggested.

You know, if it's been suggested, and denied, before, it was for a reason. That's one reason staff ask people to search before posting a suggestion.

Carned is simply reiterating what has been said on all other suggestions like this.

19. Chewie

Perhaps, but it's been months since it was last suggested and don't you think protocol has changed since then? We had them at one point, and they got taken away due to ghosters, but realistically you rarely seen ghosters on the servers anymore, even so if there were ghosters, it's so easy to find out who's the traitor when dead.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  20. DocFox

I'm sorry. When was this?