Why is damagelogs disabled for users other than staff?

Discussion in 'TTT Discussion' started by Snb, Jun 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Snb

Snb Member

Title.
    I am only asking why since I don't know the details surrounding it,
    was it to avoid abuse? avoid getting loopholed by the regulars?
    or is it something else that a typical user doesn't know or understand?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Hashira

Hashira VIP

I think it should be enabled, like on most servers, to help admins do their jobs/ save their time , and make reports more concise.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 do you know how it feel to feel alone VIP Bronze

This has been suggested and talked about a lot on the past, such as here, where you can find a little more detail about it I believe. But to be short, staff members are the only group that has access to f8 logs because it contains stuff that could be abused or for loopholing purposes/ used with negative intentions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dodley27

Dodley27 Dolfin VIP Bronze

i think normal users should be allowed to view damage logs only at the end of the round if they cant already

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Fiz

Fiz local jihad pro VIP Bronze

f1 menu has a bind menu and an option is printing the damage logs into your console.

6. Wolfy53

Wolfy53 VIP

This will never be implemented. Most regular players want to see this happen and pretty much the whole staff is opposed to it happening. They are too worried about backseat moderating and people reporting for random damage like a crowbar hit in the beginning of the round that was probably an accident but since you can go back and see who did it you report them for it since intentional/accidental damage=rdm and you don't need a corpse to report for it. As far as backseat moderating goes i could see a few people that play here regularly being a real pain in the ass about it. I don't have an opinion either way because even if this was implemented i still would not use it anyway because i don't really care about that stuff much.

You can review the damage logs of the round that just ended if you type ttt_print_damagelog in the console i believe. people will claim this is not good enough to be useful as a damage log. They want to be able to go back more than the last round and see the full log. Staff members believe that every part of the log will be scrutinized and people will be reporting on behalf of other people. Some players here will definitely abuse this method by calling out staff members for not doing their job or they will make a forum report if they do not agree with the punishment that was/wasn't handed down by that staff member. Although i do get that sometimes the staff member is the only one on and if there are a ton of reports dropped in their lap they may not put their full attention into each report. If i had to choose whether or not this is a good idea i would say it is not.

I did not expect to type out this much but it just kind of happened. Once again, i do not care either way about the damage logs but if i had to choose i would say keep it the way it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ThatAintFalco

ThatAintFalco You should’ve followed the damn train CJ VIP

If I remember correctly from a thread made a while ago, one of the main reasons why normal players can’t see the damage logs is to reduce the amount of backseat moderating. It’s not going to happen regardless of the countless threads that are made supporting this topic.