Answered What exactly is considered game influencing information?

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by Elvis, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

https://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/wasradys-appeal.54691/#post-576226

The man just explained in SB that he was trying to get through the door as a prop. How is that game influencing information? How is that information at all?

What exactly is and isnt game influencing?

3. GHOSTING
    1. Providing current-round-related, game-influencing information to a player, or players, through means of communications other than world or team chat.

2. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

Telling someone what to do, i.e. "open the door" "scan the body" "use the c4" "buy a radar" can all affect what that player does and thus affect the round. And giving information "xxx is a traitor" "there's 3 players left" "there's a health station in x room" can all affect what the player does and thus affect the round. Dead people aren't supposed to affect the round.

3. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

Why cant i rate this dumb?

Lets go to the extended rules for a minute.

3. GHOSTING
    1. Providing current-round-related, game-influencing information to a player, or players, through means of communications other than world or team chat.

I can understand telling someone to ID a body is ghosting. The body may have DNA or last words, thus affecting the round. I can see telling someone to buy a radar as ghosting cause it can then tell them they are the last person alive. I can see all of that, except open a door. How is "open the door" providing round related, game influencing information? Does the door know something we dont?

According to you, just telling someone to do something is ghosting. If I tell them to type kill in console, is that ghosting? If I tell them to shoot a picture frame, is that ghosting?

4. Pokeben10

Pokeben10 tell me pretty lies Moderator VIP Silver

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  5. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

Yes, this is how we normally handle ghosting. Issuing any kind of command to a player can be round influencing, as opening that door may (at least to the player) indicate direction that they must take. If I say "open that door" you may infer that the traitor, or the person you wish to kill, is over in that direction. The player messaging you may be attempting to lead you to the traitor, and in that situation you wouldn't know. Thus, we don't allow dead players to communicate with alive players. We are just trying to keep the game fair and fun for everyone, and I do agree that the punishment is a bit extreme, especially when wasrady wasn't necessarily doing anything too major, but I do not see an issue with how jabba handled it.

This even plays out with our current rules. If you check the MOTD it says that ghosting is:
    "Using private or third party chat to provide living players with round-related information they were not aware of, whether you are alive or dead."
    and additionally:
    "This includes giving away information about your death or another player's location."

By opening the door you can potentially change the outcome of the round, and inadvertently lead the player to the traitor or the innocent.

6. Temar

Temar Administrator VIP

So you say its ghosting just because he used !pm even so he just wanted a door open, had nothing to do with player locations etc and are basing the ban on the change in player actions alone
    what about props them self, they can change ALOT more than getting a player to open a door, as your action may change after seeing props moving, were they are going, I've seem times when multiple props were attacking someone like to say hes the T, hell they might even be explosive props.... but thats fine as you didn't !pm
    even so they can influence the round far more than that simple !pm

7. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

If you are using a prop to influence a game in such a way that it is clear that you are trying to compell the alive people to act, yes, that can also be considered ghosting, though I would rather distance myself from that because it gets too far into the intent category. Either way, asking an innocent player to do anything influences the round beyond what you are capable of doing as a possessed prop.

8. Voca

Voca o.o Administrator VIP

The actions you described are not fine tho.

A possesed prop humping a player doesnt say hes T unless in the scenario of players asking the proos to lead em to a T, and those scenarios while few, have always resulted in bans.

If possesed prop is humping a player Randomly with toxic intentions and they do it an excessive amount of times its treated as toxic gameplay

And with your example of an explosive prop flying near a player it will be treated the same way as when a prop flies into a Trip mine to kill someone, as RDM. Since if someone shot the possesed Explosive while it flew next to someone they would be influencing the round, not with info but with actions

So your above examples are already punishable behaviors.