Answered Ghosting- a valid KOS?

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by Cereal KiIler, May 24, 2018.

1. Cereal KiIler

Cereal KiIler gib banan VIP

suppose someone ghosted me a valid kos, am I still allowed to kill the KOSed player?

2. Peach

Peach sweet c: VIP Silver

No, it would be RDM if you were to kill the player. This is because you have no reason to kill the player besides going off information that you shouldn't know in the first place.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. If the KOS was valid and ghosted to him as like "Dude, that guy was KOS'd.", killing the KOS'd player is allowed, but the ghosting is a different matter. Clearly the one who sent the message would be punished, but would the person who received it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

Yep, they would actually likely be banned for ghosting if they didn't come forward with it. No reason to follow up with what is ghosted to you, just to be safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Peach

Peach sweet c: VIP Silver

I found a thread very similar to this one: https://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/ghosting.35008/

In this thread there seems to be some confusion between the staff members as to what the actual protocol is. Because there really isn't any written protocol in the rules about this, it's all just implied. In the above mentioned thread there were talks that a clarification would be made to the rules. However if I am not mistaken there hasn't been any changes to clarify this yet. I see how it would make sense to punish both parties for ghosting, since they are both taking part in altering the round unfairly. It's just this is something I have never been taught. I've always been told that the person following the ghosted KOS was just RDMing since they are following information that wasn't present in the round, rather than them ghosting themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  6. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

No offense to @Peach, but because there is such confusion, could we get a definitive "Yes or No" answer from the leads? Or just a defined punishment? The way @Graze left it, it's still somewhat in a grey area, given the 'disagree to agree' ratio on these posts.

In case it is at all situational, here are the situations I can think of. In each situation, the ghosted information would be sufficient for a valid KOS.
    1. Player A acts upon ghosted information to kill player, reports it
    2. Player A acts upon ghosted information to KOS player, reports it
    3. Player A does not act upon ghosted information, does not report it
    4. Player A repeats ghosted information in public chat/mic. Makes it clear it is ghosted information. Does not act directly on it.
    5. Player A repeats ghosted information in public chat/mic. Does not make it known it is ghosted information. Reports it.
    6. Player A repeats ghosted information in public chat/mic. Does not make it known it is ghosted information. Does not report it.
    7. Player A repeats ghosted information in public chat/mic. Makes it clear it is ghosted information. Then, Player B acts upon that information, Killing or KOS's Player C.
    8. Player A repeats ghosted information in public chat/mic. Makes it clear it is ghosted information. Then, Player B acts upon information and attempts to kill Player C. Player C kills or KOS's Player A.
    9. Player A repeats ghosted information in public chat/mic. Player C kills or KOS's Player A.

7. Cereal KiIler

Agree, there should be added some protocol or clarification to the rules, as to is it considered as RDM, because it is quite confusing.

8. Juice Juice™

Is this gonna get a yes or no response? I know Graze said 'no reason', but given this server's reliance on technicality, I think it would be prudent to be 100% clear.

9. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

Nope, you can't kill off of it.

• Confusing Confusing x 1
  10. Juice Juice™

And in the situations mentioned above? Does not-reporting it (Just ignoring it), mentioning the details, yadya yadya, will there be altered punishments for those? Such as also getting a ghosting ban?

11. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

Depends on the entire context for pretty much all of those situations tbh. Usually history comes in to play and discretion is used. A lot of those that were reported would probably result in warnings and a slay for RDM.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Robyn

Robyn Floof Moderator VIP Silver

Suppose Player A was brand new to the server that day. Can you tell us what would happen for each and every individual scenario?

13. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

Not necessarily. It depends on the admin- discretion is fluid like that.

The safest bet is to kill yourself if someone ghosted to you and report them immediately. That should resolve any issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Cereal KiIler

That’s seems kinda unfair, to kill yourself beacuse someone else ghosted to you

15. Scotty

Scotty Heroes come and go, but legends are forever. VIP Bronze

He isnt say you have to. To avoid any RDM and punishment possible coming your way its suggested you kill yourself and then report it. You can continue on with the Ghosted info if you choose to but any punishment to follow will be on you if you choose to follow through with the ghosted KOS or ghosted call out.

16. Juice Juice™

It's the only way that, regardless of context, you have zero liability. It's discretionary because each case of ghosting has the potential to be unique. Even just ignoring it could get you in trouble, if you reflexively act on the ghosted data, or, say, begin to follow around the target, just waiting for them to commit the slightest technicality that lets you KOS them.