admin mentality

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Silent Rebel, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

Yo, play nice or i'll lock this thread. Conversation is good and this is a genuinely interesting topic to follow, but calling each other names and lobbing insults is not how we play around these parts partner. (y)

(also i know i'm a bit late, you can just rate me old that's fine)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    • Old x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  2. Jabba the Slut

Jabba the Slut That's Kinky! Lead Admin VIP Silver

None of that says he believes there are issues with the current staff and how they do things. He expressed that you had a good point in your ideal of staff being notable for some specific, beneficial reason. He does NOT say that his staff aren't currently living up to that model. As far as robots go, his demeanor and dialogue looks like Opalbot in disguise. "I see. Interesting." Other than that he quotes you back to you, (which albeit is a very good quality when hearing out player issues.)

Ah, and congratulations, on your new rank.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Dani

Dani Impersonating Staff Banned VIP

No, it was started to point out that staff aren't serious but for whatever reason they expect the players to be serious. Whether that's true or not is arguable, but the thread was definitely not started based on only the fact that staff are not serious enough.

And yeah, way too many of the staff members are robotic as fuck. Really overly professional, and completely fake-sounding. More of a NA mod problem than EU, but they do come over to the EU servers sometimes to sit in spectator and occasionally throw in some "can you please stop that"s or look for some unreported damage nobody cares about.

• Like Like x 2
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Zack

Zack Shepherd of Fire VIP

I know lead admin activity tends to tank, but that's due to a lack of hour requirement. Admins are still required to keep pace with at least what they charge their moderators with. Anyway, this argument comes from a dumb/sad place. Until the staff are shown to be the driving cause behind server riots, get over it. People are allowed to be who they are, not who you expect them to be. That shit never worked on me, and I hope the current admin team at least partially follows my example. Personality < Robot

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  5. olivia

olivia queen of dankness VIP

:thinking:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. olivia

olivia queen of dankness VIP

can’t make everyone happy. some view certain staff as unprofessional, others view those same staff as nazi try-hards. at the end of the day, staff are people too, doing the best they can. sgm isn’t perfect, but at least we make efforts to improve (whether you’re aware of those efforts or not).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Xerp

Xerp VIP

:locktopic:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ink

ink Genuine Happiness VIP Silver

Yo tbh these points aren't bad at all, I don't see why we all have to be so sarcastic towards people raising this. Most of our staff is pretty damn chill and shit, but in applications we expect the niggas to "be professional" 24/7 and quickly jump the gun if anything remotely joking happens. The standards for apps, staff, and players are really different and I personally don't like it that we've made the whole application and appeal process a sacred ground with nothing to change and expect everyone to write the same shit from the Application Guide to be a "good app". It's not too unfair to say that if we pick up people that are better than our standards so they are better later, but it's not really fair either to everyone that we have such a drastic difference between expectations of regulars and staff. This is not to say that Solar's particular case is the best example of this different standard cuz he had a conversation between the player and wrote it to only that guy assuming that only he will read it.

Plus cmon you can't just say you meant to kill a guy for a specific reason from a damn C4. C4 explodes in a huge radius and the fact that he killed a guy that had done a t act is just happenstance. He had no idea that he'd kill the guy at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Dani

Dani Impersonating Staff Banned VIP

Not sure what you are trying to convey here so I will reformulate my point in case it wasn't clear. The issue isn't that staff is too serious. The issue is also not that staff is not serious enough. The issue is that staff is not serious enough when compared to the standards they expect the players to follow. (And that last part is not necessarily my opinion, so don't fight me on that; I'm saying this is why the thread was created.)

I think that staff should act more silly, but that means they shouldn't expect us to act serious. We should all be silly. We're playing a dumb video game.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

no frick u go to heck

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

I didn't even read anything in this thread past my post, which was just a dumb joke. Quoting my resignation post:
    Honestly, of all the problems that we might have with the admins currently, them making a few jokes is the least pressing. In my humble opinion, it's not even an issue and I don't currently see any real hypocrisy.
    It's important to keep a certain standard (can't just shit-talk everyone). But beyond that, seeing these more light-hearted admin posts of late is a good thing in my book. Obviously, if tensions are high, keep it pro.
    But if it's a fairly minor thing, a joke (from either party) is a good thing. We really should not behave like animals clawing at each other's throats. And far as staff go, I'd take a human over a robot any day (my waifu is the exception).

1a) I mean I guess? It's 'easier' to just play the game. When you staff and have other responsibilities to consider, you can only do so many hours in a week or two. And the more you play the game and staff, the sooner you'll be 'sated'. Like a cup filling with water, eventually you'll be full. Keeping a moderate # of hours (15-25) is better than going for 40 every two weeks and ultimately tiring out.

2a) That is the main function of staff - they staff :confused: But I think I understand what you mean here, however there are other things that admins consider when picking up moderators. It is also expected of admins to observe the performance of their moderators and ideally also push them to grow and excel.

3a) For admins, I can kinda see that concern that you'd want the ones who really excel and stand out on virtually every metric - the most active, the most helpful, the most knowledgable, the most drive, etc. But for moderators, the people who are most often picked up are the ones who stand out as positive, engaging with the community, well-behaved, trustworthy, etc. You might not personally see them or really know them for whatever reason, but nobody gets picked up without deserving it by way of being among the best candidates for the position.

4a) Like... Buy legendary for 3 people..? - that's doing something notable for the community (keeps servers up), but I wouldn't pick up someone for gifting ranks. I think I understand where you're coming from here, but I don't know what "notable" feats you would have prospective moderators do. People are picked up on merit, whether that is grand and pompous achievments or just being helpful people.

I'm not saying your concerns/observations are wrong or lacking. I just fail to see the negativity you ascribe to them.
    In my opinion, there are other areas in terms of the staff team and staffing that need improvement much more than these.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Darragh

Darragh VIP

Yo, based on the original post, starting this thread, im just gonna put this here if everyone hasn't seen it.
    I mean, I may not like it, I may not agree with it, you may think its fair/not fair, but were all part of this community. We all have to play by its rules in the end. Unless a vast amount of players try change somthing nothing will really change.
    Thats all ive to say for now at least.

-Darragh

• Like Like x 2
  13. Zack

Zack Shepherd of Fire VIP

Badaboom. And you'll run yourself ragged trying to. Best post in the thread.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Dunno why everyone has a problem with mods being professional

It's the least professional staff team I've seen since joining 4 years ago

There are mods with "Literal Poop" ranks running around and yall wanna argue that the staff are too robotic. Give me a break.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. ink

ink Genuine Happiness VIP Silver

Yeah true mods are a lot more chill now than from 2014.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

holy shit guys i was gone for like 3 hours and you add another 2 pages of bullshit what the fuck

you guys just seem like a bunch of fucking idiots, you always agrue about shit with the staff teams but never offer up any plausible solution to the things youre trying to fix
    you just expect the upper administration, who you have a problem with, to fix it.
    how the fuck does that make any sense?
    also if you come at me with the "i've tried giving them my dumbass suggestions before but nothing happened" its probably bc your ideas are absolute dogshit and dont make any sense or theyve tried it before and it didnt work, its more often than not the first one tho bc holy shit it seems like every person who has a problem with the staff team offers up the same suggestions on ways to fix it and theyre usually dumb as fuck, and have been provided explanations of why theyre dumb as fuck before

take it from me, ya local toxic ex staff member and someone who complained about the staff team for a hot minute at some point in time.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

i just like playing ttt

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1