ALLOWING MODS TO NOT BECOME ROBOTS!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'TTT Suggestions' started by SoftWatermelons, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok here is how this all started.

a mod asked me why i shot this guy for 15 health. this is my reply "I saw a guy make the Jhadi sound and sparks come out of him it stopped and i saw the person who it came out of so i shot him and he killed me. he was an inno"

then the person who killed me said it was a person behind him that was basically out of my sight. the mod then slayed me for RDM. the mod then said if he was not set to rules he would have not slayed me. CAN WE GET SOME LOGIC IN THE RULES CUS WE CANT ADD EVERY DETAIL SO AT LEAST LET MODS DECIDE IF WE GET SLAYED OR NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    • Optimistic x 5
    • Dumb x 4
    • Friendly x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
  2. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

never

3. Ravin

Ravin Determination VIP

[​IMG]
    Mods like this? Don't think we have any.​

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Rek

Rek Ø

Please search for things before you suggest them.
    This all goes along the lines of these:
    http://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/canceling-reports.21385/
    http://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/non-serious-ttt.14057/
    http://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/the-forgiveness-concept.13622/
    http://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/forgiveness-on-reports.22796/#post-197074

Moderators do NOT have discretion.
    We cannot forgive.
    We have to follow protocol.
    If the person wants to forgive you and it isn't a really big deal, ask the moderator to get administrative discretion for you not to be slain.
    Though this won't always happen, it will sometimes.

We have to slay for any and ALL random damage right now.
    If you shot the wrong guy, you shot the wrong guy.
    It was a mistake, yes.
    So getting one slay for it shouldn't be a huge deal.

Feel free to report staff under here if you feel like we aren't doing their jobs well enough.

Any last thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Kythol

Kythol ok Moderator VIP

Alright, as the mod on at the time, here is what happened.

You saw jihad sparks come from BEHIND a person and shot said person because you thought he was jihading. That's simple enough. Because you shot the person who wasn't jihading, I slayed you. This was a difficult situation to come up with an appropriate response to. You started complaining in voice chat that I was being a "dick moderator" and that you shouldn't have been slain. I agreed with you that it was a difficult situation and that I didn't want to HAVE to slay you due to what had happened. However, I explained that I didn't have discretion to do otherwise, and you threw a fit over it and complained that I, as a staff member, should not be a robot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. LOL as u guys can tell ur all mods or admins reply ask the people what they want. wait..... i forgot. U GUYS DONT GIVE A SHIT!

• Dumb Dumb x 8
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. ZeRo

ZeRo :sneaky: Banned VIP Silver

Your problem comes from the fact that Moderators currently do not use a damage threshold as far as what point of damage should be considered as RDM. As a result of this, any amount of damage given without a proper reason is considered RDM. Logic is allowed in the game as long as you can prove your actions and back them up properly. If you cannot back up your information with evidence, then that can constitute in a slay.

If we want to avoid the slay for a miniscule amount of damage, then Moderators would require discretion, something @Rek mentioned. However, since we do not have that level of discretion, we are required to slay for what I mentioned in my previous paragraph.

8. MyriadOfChaos

MyriadOfChaos It was fun.... VIP

It was explained to him multiple times in game that mods are bound to a specific set of rules. Just because YOU dont like how the rules are setup does not mean they are subject to change to your preference and in my opinion @Ravin puts it best.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Miss Alice

Miss Alice winky face VIP

I believe that this has been explained thoroughly enough. I'll lock this up.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

Mods not having discretion prevents too much favoritism and prevents confusion ("Well, he got away with it with mod X, why would mod Y slay me for it?"). We have a clear and extensively explained set of rules. Moderators are the lowest form of staff with powers, and what we DON'T want is to be one of the servers where mods only slay when they want to and let their friends do as they please

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  11. Ravin

Ravin Determination VIP

We do care a lot. Moderators do not have the flexibility you would like to give us.

All of our rules are within your ability and influenced by what you do first, not second. 9/10 times you are slain because you did some sort of action, resulting in someone elses round being ruined or compromised. Be it an accident or intentional, anyone can claim 'it was an accident' and get out of a slay.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Rek

Rek Ø

We do very much care about our community.

We were all in your place before.
    Then we realized why the rules are in place are to protect the community at large.
    If moderators are given the ability to use discretion, some would abuse it, it's just a fact.
    They may not realize they are not using it properly, but moderators are not called admins for a reason.

We are one of the biggest communities because we have such a strict rule set, therefore providing the most efficient and serious gameplay around.
    People come to us to play a game of TTT, not to be abused by staff or to abuse commands, like other servers do.
    I once got perma-banned from a different server for killing an admin on there.
    We have strict rules in place for things like this not to happen.

tl;dr of this all:
    This rule you are arguing against, is simply to provide the best gameplay possible, whether you realize it at the time or not.

I hope you understand what we are saying.
    We aren't against change or suggestions.
    We aren't flaming against you.
    We are explaining.

I hope you the best in our community and for you to open your mind to see our servers in the same light we do, it takes time, but it is great when you realize how great these servers are.

I wish you the best Watermelon!
    Feel free to PM me with questions or concerns and don't forget to report staff who don't do their job correctly!

Goodnight man :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

Honestly, if anything you possibly described a situation of crossfire. Guy jihaded, you shot where the sparks came from, hit a guy for 15, as simple as that. You shouldn't have been slain for that in my opinion.

Maybe you just worded it confusingly and the moderator slayed you for your unclear response. Make sure you include as much detail as possible when either reporting someone or responding to a report. Moderators aren't robots, they make mistakes and they get confused. Like Rek said, moderators can't bend the rules or the punishments, if they see something as RDM, they're going to have to go through with the punishment unless they get permission not to from their admin.

You just got to understand that sometimes you're going to take unnecessary slays and unless it's completely wrong and you know for a fact that it is, it's just something that you gotta deal with sometimes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. The rules is the problem. If you guys are going to take this serious as your website name is then you guys have to consider ALL the possible outcomes. But that is technically impossible. Unless you have done it all. which is also impossible since possibilities are almost endless. but if someone give A very detailed explanation and it matches the records of what people said in game and in combat (if the mods pay attention, if not then why slay or ban for maybe a false report) then add up the values and come out with slay or not to be slayed. don't just slay me because i hit someone for 15 damage....

Im not saying do this with all reports but the ones that is logical or borderline "no slay". of course people can say OH he RDM all right! But that is the community speaking. and that is what TTT is all about. The Community.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  15. Rek

Rek Ø

I completely concur that this is a very reasonable suggestion.
    Also, TTT is about the community, 100%.
    I actually barely like the gamemode itself, I just love staffing and trying to make friends so that they keep coming back on the server to play.

The only issue with why this is not going to happen is what we discussed before: discretion.
    The reason why moderators cannot have discretion is that there are so many of us.

While some of us may be trusted to hold up the rules, we aren't trusted with discretion for reasons.
    Let me use a situation to explain this:

Imagine it is You, Noctorious, SmileyofChaos, MyriadofChaos, and me.
    Noctorious shoots SmileyofChaos for, let's say... 10 damage.
    No big deal up front right? I mean how does 20 damage affect his round in the entirety of it?
    However, let's say later SmileyofChaos is in a gun fight with MyriadofChaos and loses.
    Pretend I have unlimited discretion and say "Aw, that's nothing, no big deal." and don't do anything because no report was even filed in the first place.

But, let's say that he lost because he only had 90 health and if he had that 10 more health he would have killed the traitor MyriadofChaos and won the game for the innocents.

My point is, every little thing that happens in game has a butterfly affect.
    Some moderators don't understand this very well, whether it be an experience, age, or time thing.
    I'm not bashing on my fellow moderators, as I don't even have discretion so I'm in the same boat as they all are.

That is just one example, there are several others. Like what is "Intentional RDM and Leave", if someone says "Screw this server," and proceeds to leave, some moderators may ban for weeks, some may ban for the normal length.
    We just don't have the knowledge, feel, or experience to know what to do in some of these situations- hence why we are moderators and not administrators.

Does this make sense to you or am I wording things weird?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Ravin

Ravin Determination VIP

You do realize that our rules is what makes us one of the number one TTT Servers, right?

Most of our servers are in the top ten, claiming 3rd, fourth, and fifth. Those servers over ours, do not have multiple servers like ours do. Our community and userbase is one of the largest there is in Gmod.

Please don't make such a blatant claim as "The Rules are a problem" when we have hundreds of users that would disagree with you.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. the problem with that was if there was no report filed for rdm then why slay? also there was no detail of why he shot him for 10 damage. did he say sorry i mis-clicked. or say i was aiming for the traitor. there should be no action if there is no report. if we are fine with it why do something about it.....

• Dumb Dumb x 3
  18. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

Just because "hundreds of users" would disagree with him doesn't make his claim any less than valid. He thinks that there is a flaw within the way the rules works and we should listen to what he has to say and make constructive responses in order to develop the suggestion further, not make needless post (such as this one, and your first one) just to agitate him because you disagree.

Watermelon, the thing is that what you're complaining about is described within the rules of the server.

[​IMG]

Any amount of damage can make a significant difference within the game of TTT. We cannot have a set damage value that classifies RDM because then people would just abuse said damage value and get away with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1

19. not to be rude. but if your not first then why do u think i'm in here. its not perfect so i'm here to change that. with the Logic i gave being a mod is like being a detective. if you guys do that maybe you can get #1 or #2 just saying i know a lot of people who don't play because of the way mods handle things.

• Dumb Dumb x 3
  20. Rek

Rek Ø

Because it can affect other peoples game play.
    There are many threads on the topic of "Why do moderators slay without a report being filed"

The main tl;dr of it is that there are two reasons why:
    First, it is protocol to slay random damage as it breaks one of our main rules.
    Second, some people just don't report because they leave or don't know how to reopen the report screen.
    Lastly, everything affects the game, like in the situation I said above.

Do you understand better why this protocol is in place? You don't necessarily have to agree with it, some staff don't, but do you understand it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.