Answered What good comes from keeping slays on rdm and leavers?

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by john redcorn, Jan 6, 2020.

1. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

I’ve thought about this a bit more since the thread earlier;

Assigning slays to players based rdm without staff definitely makes sense, as a staff member wasn’t online to monitor the player and enforce the typical punishment

However keeping the slays on after an rdm and leave ban definitely makes less sense to me not the moderator assigned an original punishment in the forms of rounds missed which was evaded, so the player gets a certain number days missed in the form of a ban. The player comes back, and then has to serve the first offense of his punishment after serving the fourth offense from last play session.

These leftover slays aren’t enforced and no mod will bat an eye will the player leaves the server immediately. The slays themselves aren’t track at all either, only the ban.

why should a player serve his previous offenses arfter serving his worst offense? If this truly is the way it should be, how will these slays be enforced in the future? If they wouldn’t be enforced, what’s the point of adding to a punishment something that won’t be enforced?

2. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

I personally don't see what the moral problem is, the player is shown the rules and knows, or at least has a chance to know, what the punishments are when they join. If they leave they are aware that they have slays to serve and they should also, if the read the rules, be aware of the ban they will receive for rdm and leave. So the player should know when they leave that they will be banned for X days and still had slays left to serve. The reason mods don't enforce these slays after the ban is because they don't have evidence of the initial offenses that lead to the slay so if they ban them again for rdm and leave and then the player appeals there's no evidence to go on, this has been the way it was back when you were staff.

From a workload perspective, adding the extra step of remembering to remove the excess slays doesn't seem like much but when you're busy with 4 or 5 reports per round every little bit piles up. Maintaining both fast and accurate service is already a lot of work with the addition of death scenes. It would be easier, if this was implemented, for slays to be auto-removed when an rdm and leave ban is placed.

3. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

Well the good part is once they come back they can serve the slays that were assigned to them.
    The bad part for them is once they come back they can serve the slays that were assigned to them.

4. john redcorn

Yup, I know why you don’t enforce them, that was more of a rhetorical question for “why do give this player an additional non enforced punishment on top of an enforced five day ban”. Would make more sense if the players deserve further punishment than the protocol ban to add the remaining number of remaining slays as days to the ban length since that makes sure they are actually served, rather than keeping them on and having them instantaneous evaded immediately on rejoin and hurting the server pop in the process.

5. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

I didn't actually think they would accept my last post lol

But to actually provide an answer, I don't think it's fair to be slain after returning from a ban. You could serve nearly 300 slays per day if you could be slain and banned at the same time.

On the other side of the argument, adding the slays to the adminstats kinda helps with keeping track of the amount, but that's about it.

I do not remember ever adding slays to a steamID back in '16-17, especially AFTER the ban. I was trained to not apply slays once the ban threshold was reached. However, there were occasions where I'd ban currently slayed niggas for something unrelated.

6. john redcorn

I'd love clarification on this; Sorry if it seems like something I should of brought up while I was still on the team, but removing those slays is something I did personally for RDM and Leave bans.

7. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

I don't believe there is a concrete reason for why we do this. I think the biggest reason being that we do not want to get rid of the slay for the RDM report because they did in fact earn it by rdming. RDM and Leave is a different punishment than simply RDMing, and so doing both at the same time makes sense to me. That being said, I can understand if a moderator or an admin felt the need to remove the slay. We just do it because of tradition it seems.