Unreported Damage

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by Pacifist, Aug 19, 2018.

?

Should unreported damage be non-mandatory? (Please read before voting)

Poll closed Sep 2, 2018.
  1. Yes

69.6%
  2. No

30.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

There's a difference..?

Anyway, I did a long think about this and have read other responses.
    My baseline is that I only report it if I have to report it - or if someone is causing trouble. And sometimes that means having to report a 21 damage misclick. Which is silly. It'd be nice if I could just stick with reporting the latter type.

But then on the other hand, for these situations, I already have the option of asking the victim "Hey buddy, hey pal, this guy hit you for X - would you like to forgive it?" - and they almost always say yes 'cause they don't really care about the 21 health.
    Which means I get to be a slightly smaller dick (y)

Mods aren't gonna get stressed; Helix already said to focus on the reports already made and just to use spare time for unreported.
    Though our threshhold is low at 20 and some weapons do more in 1 shot, we (mods) already have the discretion to forgive accidental RDM - as long as it fulfills the criteria (which misclicks do in like 99/100 cases). We don't have to needlessly hound players.

For me, all in all, ... I don't really feel like this would change much.
    For my money, we should be as lax as we can within the system as it is now. I think that's the sweet spot of not being so lax or careless that it devalues our rules, while also not being so strict or vindictive that it devalues the experience on our servers.

So... I'm neutral*
    I obviously like having greater freedom in approaching situations...
    But with the freedom already given, I can enforce the rules in a way that I consider fair ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Old Old x 1
  2. Saturnity

Saturnity SGMs Personal Planet VIP

It really just depends on the staff on. A lot of them will not be so up-tight.

I mean, the way I see it, is if I don't report someone for damaging me, then I don't want them to be reported, it simply means "I don't give a shit that this person did ____"

They could also add a CANCEL option to the reports,

3. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

I appreciate the intent of this, and I would actually love to see a system that's less aggressive. However the list of requirements for required action simply don't encompass enough for me to be comfortable giving this my support.

If a player was to get shot and die immediately at the start of a round and lose their traitor round, and then leave the server out of frustration, a staff member should be there to back them up even when they leave. Smaller situations like this, and plenty of other hypothetical situations keep me from seeing the merit that this new system would have compared to what we have now. Staff would still be required to look for unreported damage of more than one person, so the stress and possibility of missing it are both still factors for any staff member. I concede it might make us look a little bad to people who aren't educated about the process of things, but I firmly believe that the effort that's put in is rewarding effort.

Besides, I've never taken unreported damage too seriously. I really only ever reported damages that were clear and blatant rdm, or very very likely to be rdm. I never considered it the responsibility of a staff member to go in painstaking detail to report any line of damage that isn't accounted for elsewhere that also has the potential to be RDM. There simply isn't time for something like that most of the time.

I really do like the meaning here, but I have to disagree that this is the way to go about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

Well I suppose I could come and say that if the person is killed it must be reported, as this thread is really only about Unreported Damage... however the conditions are not exactly set in concrete here. I'm sure if this goes through someone with more finesse would be better suited to sort out the details.

The issue I have with the "I don't take unreported damage seriously" argument is that at the same time it is required of moderators and admins. Just because there isn't much empathizes on it, doesn't mean that we aren't required to look and report. The argument that we are already pretty lax means that what I am suggesting is pretty much already the norm. Moderators and admins already pick and choose what they want to report, so there isn't any consistency there, and many times it has a chance to be pretty bias. The moderator or the admin is the one deciding whether or not something should be reported, and the system works fairly well. However, right now the person does not have the option to simply consider whether or not the damage is worth their time or not because it must be reported (it is mandatory). If it isn't mandatory right now, then why have so many staff members disagreed? That is just my opinion on this matter.

Basically, I suggest this because the system we have right now is basically this:
    "It's ok if you don't do unreported damage... however it is required of you..." and that sends a weird signal, and each mod interprets it differently. Thanks for your input though graze, I'll have a look at the conditions and see if I can't meet you half way with it.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Daddy Nexxus

Daddy Nexxus Toxi-Fessional VIP

yeah i didn't do unreported damage

edit: maybe once or twice

6. If unreported damage ever becomes mandatory, @A Slightly Ferocious Cat is gonna get banned for beating the shit out of me every round. XD

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    • Confusing Confusing x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. jshore

jshore VIP

I mean we have people go AFK whole rounds being non beneficial to there team yet they don't get slayed. There are also a lot of other ways to be non beneficial that the rules allow.

8. rigby250

rigby250 VIP

I agree with this. It seems like it could become a little overbearing for staff members if they have to manage both reports and look through the logs to try and find unreported damage. It also kind of bugs me when a mod asks me about the small amount of damage I did to someone for going down a ladder with and accidentally landing on top of them due to Gmod's goofy physics

9. Agent Knockout

Agent Knockout Шуми Марица, окърваена! Плаче вдовица, ранена! VIP

+1(kinda).While a great suggestion nonetheless for taking stress away from moderators,it also may damage newer players' experiences as they may not properly be able to report it...even if that was said earlier in the thread...I see the solution in a sort of middle ground where unreported damage may be checked if the mod or above has the said time to do so and a majority of other reports are already checked.

10. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

That's how it is intended to be handled currently. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.