Accepted TOS / Information

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Yellow, Dec 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyn

Robyn Floof Moderator VIP Silver

Correct besides give them to helix and see your internet provider’s locations. Pretty sure helix deleted the file and I don’t have anything from back then as I distanced myself from that shit

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mr. Rogers

Mr. Rogers Lil Tokyo VIP Silver

Making a post on the internet that you don't want your IP to be looked it is the absolute best way to ensure nobody looks at your IP.

• Funny Funny x 6
  3. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

I understand the concern that malicious users may want to take your IP and do bad things with it, but you also have to understand the reality of the situation. As a lead admin I myself used the IP tool less than 5 times. Frankly, the tool itself is only useful in determining whether or not someone is alting, but if the IP's match then the forums will immediately tag that shit the second they go to make an account. Most of the time, alts are caught in that net. However, the alts that aren't are probably using VPN's, or they've found a McDonalds wifi network. Either way, it is rather naïve to think that the tool is being utilized to find information on users. I can name the instances where a rogue moderator has taken users' IP's and dumped them for the world to see on none of my fingers. To my knowledge it has never happened. Now, there have been cases where admins and moderators have used IP information to track time zones' of other staff members in an attempt to bust a leaker, but that was shut down immediately once I became aware of it. There was also another case where a moderator was concerned that a tmod who had recently been promoted was just after said mod's IP address. We took necessary precautions and removed the tmod's ability to check IP's once they got mod.

But really, what I want to stress is that IP tracking can be wildly inaccurate. Were you to check my IP you'd find that it has me located in a town that is at least 50 miles away. Even if a staff member were to track your IP address, and they saved it (for whatever reason), they'd have inaccurate information. Plus, leaking that shit is a crime. You legit cannot do that. It wouldn't even be worth it, the user would be permabanned and we'd just report their ass to the authorities.

With all that being said, I generally think that it should be restricted to admin or higher. I remember talking about this with someone while I was lead, but iirc it wasn't possible with the way permissions work on zenoforo. I could wrong though so don't listen to that last part. Ultimately, I am giving this a +1. Moderators don't really need accsess to this tool.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Chad

Chad Banned VIP

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH
    Leaking IP is not crime.
    The authorities would laugh your ass out.

Nerdy ass mother fucker talking about IPs hahahahahah
    Mother fucker was wearing a Serious Gmod Hoodie & SANDLES HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

I was just parroting what someone else said. Yeah, it isn't necessarily illegal, but you best know someone would be banned for doing shit like that.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. Titan

Titan SGM's official music nerd Administrator VIP Bronze

"there is no federal law that criminalizes all of the conduct that may be called doxing, such as publishing someone’s contact information. However, there is a federal law against stalking that may apply to many doxing incidents. 18 U.S. Code § 2261A provides:

'Whoever—

(2) with the intent to kill, injure, harass, intimidate, or place under surveillance with intent to kill, injure, harass, or intimidate another person, uses the mail, any interactive computer service or electronic communication service or electronic communication system of interstate commerce, or any other facility of interstate or foreign commerce to engage in a course of conduct that—
    (A) places that person in reasonable fear of the death of or serious bodily injury to a person …; or
    (B) causes, attempts to cause, or would be reasonably expected to cause substantial emotional distress to a person …

shall be punished as provided in section 2261(b) of this title.'

Most victims of doxing should also look to their state law. Much of the conduct that is considered “doxing” may fall under multiple state laws relating to cyber stalking, stalking, harassment, threats, or extortion."

Source

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  7. Yellow

Yellow VIP

Xenforo 2?

• Old Old x 3
  8. Sticky Bandit

Sticky Bandit Never fall below your standard VIP Bronze

literally just go to a profile and hit the moderation button in the top right, it's really easy to get an IP lol.

And as someone who's had moderators abuse this tool against me, I would have to say I agree. There's really no reason to give moderators this information, they literally cannot do anything staff related with it.

Mods can't run IP Checks. Mods can't see IP addresses in game. Mods cannot ban an IP address... sooo why do mods even need this power anyway? They're going to have to go straight to an admin to do anything with an IP in the first place, might as well restrict it so unstable people won't have access to that information.

Using a VPN is definitely a good idea, but it does not excuse criminal behavior. Just because you aren't using a VPN doesn't mean your IP address should be leaked, your home network DDOS'd, and your address found and provided to your local swat team. VPNs also kind of suck for gaming, they add a shit ton of ping.

Can someone please explain to me what it is that moderators need an IP address so badly for?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ori with a gun

ori with a gun just vibin VIP

I wouldn’t worry that much about mods DDoSing you, and if any actually did I’m sure they’d get immediately demoted/banned. If it’s that big of a deal, use a VPN. I assure you you don’t have to worry about this
    Still a +1 mods simply don’t need or would ever use this, Admins handle most forum stuff and if has to deal with anything involving IPs and alts, it’s 99% an admin thing. Don’t be worried about this, but I’m fine with it being removed.

if you’re reading this you’re stinky

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. Sticky Bandit

It is something to worry about, a couple mods got together in the past and compiled a list of locations on a bunch of the staff team members. And mods in the past probably have ddosed and done bad things, high school dumb drama will always happen in gmod, best to just remove the potential!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. RyanHymenman

RyanHymenman Conscript the women and kids Administrator VIP Silver

I also don’t want anyone thinking this is being ignored. We have been discussing eliminating the IP function from moderators. This would either require Highwon to edit a role, or it would require us to individual restrict access from every moderator.

But yeah, it is being discussed, trust me. We do take user security very seriously

Edit: I have been corrected. There is no way to remove IP access from the role

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Nathan776

Nathan776 Administrator Administrator VIP Silver

We have changed it so when users are promoted we will change their individual perms to restrict access to IP addresses.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  13. Yellow

Yellow VIP

So current moderators still have it? Or has that already been changed

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Nathan776

Nathan776 Administrator Administrator VIP Silver

I removed the IP viewing permission from all current moderators too.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

Is this website even compliant with CA laws / GDPR which are very restrictive?

Assaulting someone is illegal, but it still happens, are you going to tell the victim "well its illegal" this is a low effort take sorry Jabba you can do better.

Y I K E S lets just ignore all the actual federal laws that have been broken but current and former staff of SGM, they're just staff on a gaming forum right?

Both of ya'll thinking 2fa is invincible is cute, the weakest link is all that matters, usually you can exploit the process to reset / remove 2fa in event of access to that being lost. Low effort take.

Agreed 100% with this thread title, it should be Admin+ (And given some of the current admins and the fact the S doesn't stand for serious, maybe it should be lead only since the leads are supposedly active compared to previous leads)

• Dumb Dumb x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Old Old x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Pokeben10

Pokeben10 tell me pretty lies Moderator VIP Silver

I don't see the reason for the hostility in this comment. Yeah, I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to 2FA and all that stuff. I was simply relaying what I was being told.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. RyanHymenman

RyanHymenman Conscript the women and kids Administrator VIP Silver

I’m sorry but nitpicking points like this is just low. It is quite clear that jabba was stating that the threat of legal action and legal repercussions is a deterrent. Nowhere did he say that it would stop something from happening

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Yellow

Yellow VIP

You just insulted about 2.000 of his posts

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. iii

iii eye-eye-eye or triple eye is fine VIP

Is it really that nitpicky to point out that leaving the information in the open to be exploited just because it's against the law to exploit it is stupid?
    edit: Also, it's not like it's impossible to dox someone with enough anonymity that the staff won't know who to ban and the victim won't know who*(edit2) to report.

I think you all are overreacting.

Xpro's post is super old though, considering it's literally already been made admin+.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Sticky Bandit

Thanks brother! I know the Xenforo “moderating” role makes it impossible to remove it generally, so I thank you for doing this pain in the ass shit for us!!

Thanks brother, I do appreciate it!

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.