Accepted "The Silencer" - New T Weapon

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Opalium, Jan 1, 2017.

?

Which one of the options should be used for this weapon? (See the post for details)

1. Direct

22.9%
  2. Throwable

28.6%
  3. Stationary Placeable

37.1%
  4. Mobile Pulse

11.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opalium

Opalium Stay Awesome Banned VIP Silver

Just an idea that popped in my mind yesterday after a chat with @Casually Serious .

The Silencer/The Scrambler - A weapon that causes players to be "Silenced" for a short time, disabling their ability to use voice chat or text chat for the duration. Can be used to attack a target without them able to call for help.

Four ideas on how the weapon could work:
    • Direct: like a normal gun, directly shoot at a player to silence them. Maybe give it a noticeable sound to force the attacker to use it wisely and avoid alerting other players.
    • Grenade-like: a throwable weapon that explodes and silences all targets in a certain radius. Targets leaving the area of effect will no longer be silenced, so they will have a chance to call for help.
    • Placeable object: like a decoy or a C4, can place it on walls to silence all players in a certain radius for a limited duration. (Thanks, @Carned!)
    • Mobile Pulse: Activating the weapon makes it "pulse" from your location and silences everyone around you. The "pulse" keeps following you for the duration. For balance, either make a visual effect (like a pulse wave or the player model glowing a bit) or a sound effect from the player using it.
    Duration, shots available (if the first type is favored), radius and others are open for debate, as well as other ideas for improvement and balance. Would love to hear what you all think!

~Opalium

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

Could it make sense to be used like a decoy? Like a scrambler that blocks voip/text in a certain area?

A good T team could actively silence the entire map, making it feel like an actual planned thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Opalium

Great idea. Added it to the list as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Renko

Renko VIP Iron

X - Disagree Y- Agree

X/Y Direct - Because it only targets one player and just a scaring device like malfunction pistol for traitors.
    X Throwable - Very noticable for expert TTT players like (Me).
    Y Stationary - This is better if timed because traitors may put it in T rooms and will never break it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Acnologia

Acnologia modern desperado VIP Silver

+1

• Like Like x 1
  6. Falcor

Falcor ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ VIP Silver

smh DETECTIVE LIVES MATTER! and all we got is a boring jackhammer and a pretty intervention. and some shit tier guns aside from that. D LIVES MATTER.
    You can find my suggestion on page 2 of Weapon suggestions tyty

still I like the throwable weapon. like a sticky nade, area stun or this silence one does seems pretty cool.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Kyül

Kyül Caged Bird VIP Bronze

I believe it would be awesome to be able to shoot or affect (depends on what type of item it ends up being) your T buddy so they shoot silently and attract no attention. This would bring an extra element of team work to the table, and I believe it would be amazing. As for the general idea, I believe it is a very good idea indeed, and I favor it being a stationary thing, but you also getting to have it in your hand to directly target people or your T buddies (from up close), similar to the Med-Kits in Sven CoOp, where you have to get close to the target to affect him. But in this case, if your non T-buddy target doesnt see you they are unaware of them being affected, but if its your T-buddy they are notified. So basically like maybe a tripwire kind of thing where if you pass through as an inno you get silenced and as a T you become more silent. And you can pick it up again so that you can directly target players.

All around an awesome idea, and a 1+ from me.

8. Falcor

Falcor ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ VIP Silver

On second thought best options for a silence area effect imo would be a sticky nade. Or placeable. Like i can see a lot of tester rooms getting silenced for some incognito massacres.
    Placeable it can give you options of silencing an area longer and more planned attack. But a throwable will give T's more variety with using a silenced area effect.
    reallly like this idea opal

(im on the fence now between these 2)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Opalium

4th idea:

Activating the weapon makes it "pulse" from your location and silences everyone around you. The "pulse" keeps following you for the duration. For balance, either make a visual effect (like a pulse wave or the player model glowing a bit) or a sound effect from the player using it.

If you like it you can change your vote in the poll.

10. Adrian Shephard

Adrian Shephard VIP Silver

+1

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

Either mobile Pulse or Grenade like. Even tho a disguiser renders this obsolete, I think it would be a lot of fun to chuck it into a group of people and watch as they are confused as to why the can't speak. Although, there will always be that one player that looks up to the mod and asks "why am I gagged?"

TL;DR: +1 greande or pulse

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Desert

Desert Nein! Nein! Nein! VIP

+1
    I believe it should be direct, like a gun, mainly because this concept worked for the malfunction pistol. Although to force the traitor to be sneaky with it, it should be very limited in range, causing them to have get close and be hidden whilst having the gun equipped. High risk, High reward.

13. Cafedemocha

Cafedemocha 2319 VIP

+1 for the grenade :)

14. Mr Butters

Mr Butters For a few to be immortal, many must die. VIP

+1 for the pulse, I feel like the grenade would be more unhelpful than it is helpful. Seeing as when someone throws something you get an advantage between them throwing it, it exploding and them pulling their weapon back out.

That being said the pulse effect should be much like the disguiser where it only activates when you want it too via keybind. (Can not be deactivated once activated, must run its timer.)

Pulse duration - 3 seconds. As a base duration. why so short? because in-game 3 seconds of an aoe silence while you mow down a few people is plenty of time. That being said this should also have a duration point upgrade, not only does the traitor benefit from a longer duration but inno's can also benefit so the upgrade is a fairly balanced, the longer the time of your silence the more time to mow down a room of inno's but also the more time you are pulsing so people know you are a T.

Max upgrade - 6 seconds maybe. Just my thoughts :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Skyrossm

Skyrossm Ideal Female Moderator? VIP Emerald Bronze

This would be the coolest idea, but just make it a sound and not visual. Players around you won't be able to say anything and you can be detected from across the map.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

If it's a mobile pulse I think it should be a small beeping noise and maybe something visual to tell if someone has it enabled. its probably easier to do Stationary Placeable

17. Only as long as it doesn't also silence your T-buddies in any of the versions, because I could see it being used heavily as a way to loophole killing T-buddies as Traitor.

18. lNSPECTOR

lNSPECTOR Gadget... lNSPECTOR GADGET VIP

the time w/o voice chat cannot last long in case staff needs to communicate w/ players

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  19. Ravin

Ravin Determination VIP

Admin Chat would likely not be disabled for that very purpose.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. lNSPECTOR

lNSPECTOR Gadget... lNSPECTOR GADGET VIP

admin chat does not allow staff to talk to the player, just player to staff

• Dumb Dumb x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.