The new N word: The F word!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xproplayer, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

Then explain gay to mean stupid and retard to mean stupid.

Because they've been used, and are used in THIS VERY COMMUNITY BY STAFF OR FORMER STAFF AND ANYONE ELSE, in this exact sense.

It was such a big deal they made a god damn ad with a production company, staff, and script and EVERYTHING for this.

Yet, people still do it. So why shouldn't I make that analogy if it's the only proper analogy out there?

Before you say "If ppl jump off bridge then would u too" yadda yadda then you gotta stop acting like an out of touch parent for a bit. They'll still continue to do it. They've continued to do it. And it's not going away any time soon.

2. Replace the word "gay" with "recreational morphine" or "crack cocaine" and you'll realise instantly that just because a collection of people are using something other than its intended purpose, doesn't make it acceptable.

3. CorallocinB

So that's where I go back to why don't we ban gay from being used then? If people refer to things as gay (meaning stupid) as many times than they actually use the word to refer to gay people then it should be validly banned yet it isn't. Same goes for retard.

4. Gee, I dunno. Maybe because there's less vitriol in those words?

5. Zack

Zack Shepherd of Fire VIP

If you honestly, truly believe this, you don't know what freedom of speech entails, and shouldn't talk about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. Dani

Dani Impersonating Staff Banned VIP

I feel like faggot has lost its meaning and is just used against everything and everyone at this point. I think that most people who use it just use it like any other insult like idiot, fucker, retard, shithead or whatever. They all mean "person I'm angry at right now". If you use it to oppress gay people, sure, that's a big deal and should be met with a higher punishment. But how is me calling someone a faggot for killing me in-game any worse than saying shithead instead?

7. CorallocinB

Maybe that's a reason, or maybe that's a cop out. In either case, it falls into the same exact category that faggot is falling under which means the line is drawn where exactly?

It is drawn for words that are used as group-based slurs.

Retard can insult all mentally deficient people.

Gay can insult gay people, believe it or not. Want to know why? People have easily reversed the descriptive roles of what people originally would call themselves and turn it into an insult. Same reason Jap can insult Japanese people. Jew for Jewish people.

E X A C T L Y

8. Bravo

Bravo VIP

Evolution of terminology does not however become common usage until actual relevant sources start using a word - and even then, they have to be pretty respectable sources to have any meaningful validity.

As a side note... good job citing a perfect example of a "word" (it isn't, it's just a bastardization of an already bastardized word) that has a "pop culture" meaning but is massively controversial and effectively deemed an offensive slang term that is still broadly (and by broadly, I mean nearly entirely) treated as a racial slur; with next to no actual meaningful difference between it and the original purpose - one that is also noted as being used as an excuse to use a racially offensive term with a perfect shield for actual racists to hide behind by proclaiming its questionable pop culture meaning.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. E X A C T L Y nothing.

Gay isn't always a pejorative term. Faggot is.

Retard isn't always a pejorative term either. It's a medical term. Spastic is.

See the pattern?

10. CorallocinB

Im not talking about how a word's definition becomes valid based on the dictionary or Webster's. If people start using a word, like gay, to mean stupid, and it becomes widespread and webster won't recognize it, it doesn't mean they'll stop. In many circles, people will know the word to mean stupid rather than a gay person.

And this is where you start roaming in my territory again. I cited this word for the exact reason I argue about gay, retard, etc. to mean stupid. BECAUSE IT'S POP CULTURE. IT AGAIN WAS SO WIDE SPREAD THEY MADE AN ADVERTISEMENT TO NOT USE GAY AS STUPID. YET WE STILL DO AS IF IT CHANGED ANYTHING and if there was such an issue about this people would be campaigning around the country getting on Fox News saying "Gay is not stupid! Gay is beautiful!" or something. Yet we are still here still saying it as if it's commonplace without a care about what Webster says.

Gay being used as stupid.

Retard being used as stupid.

Address these and how they relate to Faggot being used as stupid. You may not realize it's being used to refer to stupid, but it is.

Because you're refusing to acknowledge this actual pattern. This exact pattern that made nigga famous. This exact pattern that has made gay = stupid.

11. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

Are you guys still repeatedly bashing your heads against each other? Maybe until this thread reaches 1000 replies?

You all have different viewpoints and will never accept the others so what’s the point?

Just move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Dani

Seriously though, why specifically those two words? If A calls B a faggot for RDMing them, will some gay member of our community hear that and think "Hey, that's me! He just used me as an insult!" and be offended somehow? Wouldn't gay people be glad that it's not an insult reserved specifically to oppress them anymore?

You seem to care a lot about people discussing things in this discussion you tell people not to care about. If you don't like the fact that people are discussing this, why don't you move on? Why make yourself part of it? It's not like anyone's being angry or toxic here. Some of these posts are pretty insightful; yes, even the ones with differing opinions.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  13. Because you're trying to reappropriate words for meanings they don't even have.

14. Carned I like but you but this is no time to be a fence-sitter.

15. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

I’d argue that it’s smarter to sit on my own opinion fence quietly than try to destroy eachothers fences to no avail.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. CorallocinB

But it's not just me.

It's the culture that uses it.

I never reappropriate the use of the word gay. Pop culture did. Same with retard.

I'd argue Faggot starting going the same path when South Park started using it every other episode. You know how many kids watch that show? It's pop culture.

I'm not taking some kind of mystical out of no where stand that Faggot can be used to mean stupid. It's been a thing for a while now. It's not reappropriation. Literally pop culture in many ways dictates how a society acts and runs. Kids watered down gay. They did the same with retard because popular media did the same. The same exact thing has happened to Faggot.

Why was there specifically teenagers in that ad? Because they from a younger age used gay to mean stupid. The demographic for this has always been kids and it spreads.

You can't tell me with a straight face that pop culture did not start to normalize retard and gay to be stupid. It wasn't some grass roots stand by some 8 year old in Texas. Popular media stared it and it caught like wild fire.

So with this connection made, let's make the argument "become a mature adult"

Hello our past generation, our parents, have been racists for ages. Why didn't they mature up? They were taught from a young age to continue because it was normal for them.

"Well, you're hopefully a person with a brain you know that gay isn't stupid"

Yea, I know. But Ill still use it, because it's what I grew up in. People will have these words they move from childhood to adulthood, always. This is no exception.

"Well then you're just someone who doesn't accept change and will be left behind."

To always be open to change is to never make an identity for yourself. This generation will regardless go down as a bunch of dribbling idiots with or without me.

17. Dani

I feel like if you come into a discussion thread with two sides discussing against each other and you tell them to just stop and that the discussion is pointless, you are not really "staying outside" or "being neutral", but you're now creating a third side to the discussion that you are arguing for. If you don't care about a discussion and if you're neutral about it, I feel like loudly proclaiming how little you care and how little everyone else should care is a bad idea.

It's interesting. English is not my first language so I used the word retard against pretty much anyone stupid (because I learned it from how people used it: as a synonym for "idiot"), until I learned at like 16 that it's apparently politically incorrect. I still use it a lot and so do the people around me, just like any other curse word. Faggot feels the same to me. I did know it has something to do with gays, but I picked it up the same way: People used it as "idiot", so that's how I did it too.

Nigger feels different to me. If somebody said nigger on the servers as an insult, I could actually imagine a black person hearing it and feeling down about it because it reminds them that they have been called that by racist people or something. I literally have nothing to base this on, but faggot just feels different to me. Like nigger is deeply connected with racism and faggot just really isn't connected with homophobia anymore.

This is how I learned those words. Nobody told me which words were worse than others or what history they have. I simply saw how they are used and this is how that made me feel about them.

18. .shirt

.shirt VIP

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  19. Aarow

Aarow VIP

It's not just the "F words." It's all slurs. For the sake of being definitive, cracker, spic, wetback, etc. are all banned, as well.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  20. CrownedWings

CrownedWings Quirkless but still kickin VIP

Hence why they are banned, it’s dumb that people are arguing about this. Majority of the time they used to offend people not for those other meanings.

I mean there’s always gonna be a troll in SGM that will come in and just spam Faggot or N*gger in the chat until they’re bored or banned depending on if a staff member is on. So they should stay banned because EVERYONE KNOWS THAT IT USED TO BE DEGRADING A GROUP.

P.S. Seeing this go on for several pages is stupid. They’re banned for a reason and they should and probably are gonna stay banned.

Edit: @Aarow I’m just agreeing and quoting you.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.