The new N word: The F word!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xproplayer, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

Well the argument for Faggot here is in that it can mean an insult to gay people, it can mean cigarette, it can mean food, but in America and some other areas it has followed the path of gay and retarded AKA reverting the insult to being the same as "stupid" as an insult instead of "shaming gay people" as an insult when used at people.

People with a brain can try to contextualize the word when used for cigarettes or food. But when it's used as an insult it has two meanings. Shaming gay people, or stupid. To be gay is to not be stupid and to be stupid is not to be gay. That's how the word is used when it isn't used as a way to shame gay people.

The same reason people call others assholes, b*tches, b*stards, f*cks, dipsh*ts. To drive home a point of anger, insult, and show what they've done is a problem. My post explicitly stated earlier there's a chain of words that people refer to when they want to start driving home a point whether it's out of anger, or in all just use. Yea, what Rick said earlier it's a sh*t-tier word use, but these words are used in everyday common society for these exact reasons. Stupid is the base insult, but when people want to become more vulgar edgy and say something that people understand because it's such a word that gets their attention they start referring to the 4 letter words. It's no different than saying Faggot when saying someone is stupid. They'd likely go stupid, gay, retarded, slew of 4 letter words, faggot, whatever else they think of when they're in a fit of rage as progression.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Toest

Toest "I am the bus" ~ Falcor, all the time VIP

I guess theres nothing else that can convince you of my viewpoint so I wont try. I just dont agree with your mindset of its meaning having changed so that it isnt a gay slur in most cases.

3. CorallocinB

You've either been kept in a bubble your entire life or have been home schooled at this point. I've counted the number of times on my hands I've heard the use of the word as an insult to shame gay people from my parents/grandparents who come from an entirely different era than us. Any other time I've used it and or heard the word it hasn't been used to shame gay people. It's literally the equivalent to gay, retard, other words that are just absolutely watered down to mean stupid.

I can see your point of view. Your point is: No matter what change in the word happens, it's a word that is used to insult gay people. To say it as an insult, even if you didn't mean to shame gay people, it still hurts gay people even though you never meant it in the first place. If you used it as a way to say stupid, then you're calling gay stupid. It's at this point where you're disconnecting from my argument and anyone else's argument who has used the word in the same exact way I've been describing. Like I said earlier, to call someone a faggot is an insult (yes it can be harassment and punished that was established), but depending on how it's used it's homophobic or it's an alternative edgy word for stupid.

To be stupid is to not be gay.

To be gay is to not be stupid.

4. Bravo

Bravo VIP

Robo it feels fairly pointless to try and defend the usage of a particular word as an insult, when by default any insults can be reported as harassment and, provided proof, pretty much automatically succeed. The question here is whether the word can be used in a non-insulting way (for example, as Xpro said, self labeling) without being banned - as it currently stands, because it is being held up in the same exceptional way as the N word in theory it's essentially banned from all usage; even self labeling and entirely non-insulting usages.

However - DieKasta's comment implies that this is not in fact the case - and as such the word should PROBABLY be removed from that section in the rules - because if one word is banned from pretty much all usage, but the other is tolerated in non-offensive usages the two should not be categorized together.

5. CorallocinB

Yea I'm arguing something entirely else. Im aware of the other uses of the word faggot to not be an insult. I'm not saying if Faggot is used as an insult whether to mean stupid or to shame gay people should be allowed. I've stated that should be treated as harassment.

I'm taking a losing path to try to argue the use of the word as an insult to mean something other than shaming gay people because it has two definitions as an insult because the second it becomes homophobic the staff will start cleaning their ban hammers.

6. "The way I use this word isn't offensive so people that are upset by it are just being melodramatic," is the basis of your argument.

You're a contrarian all the time but for all the wrong reasons. I get uncomfortable when people are using the n-word in game because I'm black and I'll usually say something because it's not cool. Just because you and everyone like you isn't affected by it doesn't mean it's acceptable.

EDIT: Nobody's infringing on your rights by telling you not to use a word that by its very definition is insulting. As I said earlier, context is important but there's one-hundred other ways to talk about cigarettes and food (it's not even that popular here in the UK why make it a thing). Just a thought.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  7. CorallocinB

The way I use the word IS an insult. I've never said it wasn't. Depending on the person, it can be offensive. You're missing the entire point. It's just not to be offensive to a GROUP OF PEOPLE which is the entire reason the word is banned from any use at all.

If I use it as a homophobic slur, it's a group-based slur meant to offend all gay people.

If I use it as a way to call someone stupid, it's an insult to one person and only one person. Like one would call stupid, gay, retard, b*tch, b*stard, f*ck, etc. (Btw yea I feel so little about the word faggot I wouldn't censor it. So you got me there just because Idc about it doesnt mean others aren't affected by it. But if they're affected by it the way I use it they need to get with the times. But then again the times are we're offended by everything even though we still say gay/retard to mean stupid).

Again my path I've taken within this thread is that any use that isn't an insult should be allowed, but I'm trying to argue there's a secondary way to use the word as an insult that's not meant to shame gay people. Take that how you will (y)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  8. You're missing the point collossally. It's still a term used to insult an entire group off of the basis of sexuality. Saying "I'm just saying it to one person so it's okay" isn't an excuse. You're still using the phrase that belittles their personal characteristic and it's not for you to claim that it's fine because you've said it on a casual basis.

That's still going to be a problem to gay people whether you feel that way or not, because you're trying to normalise the use of a word that negatively applies to them.

"But then again the times are we're offended by everything" In a world people will kill you for your sexuality, skin colour and orientation or discriminate against you for it, can you really wonder why?

9. Bravo

Bravo VIP

In a slight back-track against my previous arguing I feel required to point out that this is fundamentally wrong - the word when used an insult in order to emasculate (google can provide the meaning if you want) just as all other slang words used against the homosexual community are. By extension this means it still retains broadly its homophobic roots even if the word is not explicitly being used in the manner. You might mean it in that way, but, to use my personal favourite insult "potato" as an example - I call pretty much everything a potato when I can't come up with a better joke-y insult, this doesn't mean that the common usage of the term is a lighthearted insult. Personal usage does not equate to actual meaning.

Besides, again, this is irrelevant to the point, it doesn't matter if you're arguing for it to be considered a group slur or not, as it is a slur regardless and as such is just as likely to get your ass banned either way.

10. Darth West

Darth West I am Darth West, Dark Lord of the Sith. VIP

It also doesn't mean its acceptable for you to try to ban words because of your feelings.
    Where I live baning people from saying words is infringing on my freedom of speech

I could use other words to describe things, this is true. I could say "good" instead of "excellent", this is true. Just because I can change the words I use doesn't mean I should just to appease you.
    And what if I don't care?
    LOL, you are right though. I can't remember the amount of homo's that have died because I use Faggot in passing.

11. Idk about you but it's quite common in the UK and Ireland to use it in relation to cigs.
    Otherwise I agree though, it's still a slur and used for abuse, unlike what many members like to claim.

12. This
    This is a community. We have rules. Don't be edgy and break them or leave if you feel like your edginess is being infringed upon, but this sure as hell isn't denying you any right by banning words that have been used to systematically abuse LGBT people for generations

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  13. Darth West

How about don't be the thought police? "but this sure as hell isn't denying you any right by banning words " Do you even read what you write. You are denying me the right to say a word when you ban it, it's really simple. It doesn't matter why the word is banned. Sure Fag has been "used to systematically abuse LGBT people for generations" but that doesn't deny the fact that you are banning the word, nor the fact that it denys me my rights (based on where I live). How dare I call a rule dumb, the fucking nerve. Also do you like the rules of the community? Every single one? If not.

P.s Replace America with Server.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  14. Bravo

Bravo VIP

Actually it fundamentally isn't. Go into an airport terminal and scream "I have a bomb" at the top of your lungs and see how quickly your "Freedom of speech" argument lands you in a jail (or a grave). Private companies (which SGM is most certainly) are allowed to curtail speech in any manner they see fit; after all you have a right to say these things, but you don't have an automatic right of access to services (again, SGM is a service).

As a side note - Facebook outlaws numerous things, including specific words. Do you honestly think a company the size and scope of Facebook wouldn't have been torn apart in court if this practice was against Freedom of Speech laws? Fun fact - the word in question can get you banned from Facebook, so again, it is unquestionably not against Freedom of Speech laws.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Darth West

I knew this would go here. I know its legal to ban words in a private company. Do I think its right? Also those are calls to action not saying faggot. Totally different. I agrue that it goes against freedom of speech because thats what I believe in.

16. I'm not going to say what I want to say but this is embarrassing.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. CorallocinB

And you're missing my point about where it can be used as something other than that and as an insult, the same thing that Toest cannot understand.

In terms of the rules, a group based slur is 100% banned. Any other insult though is up in the air to be judged as offensive or not based on how the receiver of the insult feels. I'm using the word Faggot, as an insult, to mean stupid.

and to not emasculate.

Then where's the ban for the use of gay? Gay is being used to refer to stupid more rampant than retard or Faggot and it refers to gay people and not only do people just neutrally refer to gay people as gay, others use gay as an insult to gay people too!
    Nope and it's baffling. NotLikeThis

Of course it does. That's how a word's evolution happens. They start shifting, watering down, and normalizing the original definition of the word to the point that it's not the original definition anymore. How do you think nigga was ever given life?

Then what about "Gay" and that silly Wanda Sykes video? It was the biggest nextest newest thing on the market to say in schools that it essentially gave it a meaning. Ever read the book Frindle? Same exact lines on how to give a word a meaning.

Any insult can easily get you banned, but the group-based slurs are 7/10 times instant bans from SB regardless of how it's used (unless you outright state that it is specified as not an insult). Again, I'm arguing a losing path here to differentiate that it can be a group based homophobic slur AND OR a watered down use of the word stupid to be more edgy but in all senses to not say being gay is stupid and to be stupid is not gay but the use of the word anyway is definitely an insult.

Also sorry for hijacking your thread xpro ;)

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Freedom of speech in civilised countries means that the press are allowed to criticise things without trouble from the government. It does not give you the right to be an abusive pos to people, sorry not sorry.

This sounds pretty much like the opposite of America rn anyway but whatever.

You signed up to this server and agreed to the terms and rules. This server is not obligated to allow you to run your mouth. Go join the KKK or something if you want to use these slurs

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. It doesn't matter what you're using it for. The word still has its original meaning, whether you claim to use in context of that or not. Say it out loud on the street and people won't look at you and think, "Hmmm, maybe he just means stupid."

Your analogy is ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.