Stay Awesome

Discussion in 'Farewells' started by Opalium, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opalium

Opalium Stay Awesome Banned VIP Silver

Hey everyone. Opalium here.

I am sad to announce that, unfortunately, I am stepping down from my position as the community's Lead Admin. Life is becoming more and more busy for me and I am no longer able to spend the amount of time required for a position as important as this.
    I am going to be promoted in my real life job, something I was wishing for quite a while, to the role of a team manager. As much as I wanted this, unfortunately my new schedule will make it impossible for me to dedicate myself to my role here in SGM. Not only that, but I am also expecting to start my studies for my second degree in a few months, which will further limit the already-limited amount of time I will have to spend. Those two, together with some other upcoming things, leave me no choice but to give up on my rank.

I write these words in great sadness. While I cannot compare my relatively short time here to the long time veterans of SGM, it was definitely enough time to make this place feel like a second home for me. I met people of so many kinds from so many places around the world, people I would've never been able to know otherwise. I made friendships and connections that will last forever.

My time here as a Lead was challenging yet fulfilling. I was able to bring some changes I am truly proud of, like the new RDM manager which makes the life of our staff members so much easier, the founding of SGM's content team that finally gives content updates and management the priority it deserves, the extension of the EU staff team to help support the growing non-american community, the implementation of the new damage threshold that allows some breathing space to our players and less cases of frustrating punishments over insignificant offenses, the continuous work on making DR more attractive to players, and more. I do not take all the credit for them, however: I couldn't have done this without the help of so many amazing people, staff and players as one.
    My tenure here, however, was not free of less fortunate events that I happened to find myself in the heart of, as a peacemaker. The community was and still is suffering from disputes and bitterness between the many different groups of it. That, sadly, is the fate of any community, gaming or not. While it's obvious that these issues are far from being solved, I hope that my attempts to bring peace were at least partially helpful.
    All in all, I am proud of what the community managed to achieve during my time here. I truly hope you found my work and efforts useful, even in the slightest.

I want to clarify: I am not leaving SGM. I will still be around when I am able to, playing and helping out. As you can see from the new color of my name, I will be continuing my life here in the rank of a developer, so that I can continue to support the community's growth and success. You will see me around much less, that's for sure, but I am definitely staying. After all, my time here has been a fantastic experience for me. I think it's safe to say I made life-long memories here with people I will never forget. I can't just leave all this behind me, right? ;)

I'm not a fan of tags. They give the feeling that some people are more important in my eyes than others. This is far from the truth. Every person I've met in SGM has left a mark in me. You are all valuable in my eyes, whether you like me or disagree with me. You've been a major part of my life for quite a while now, and I want to wish you all the best there is.
    Still, since this is a tradition, I'm going to tag a few people and groups who I want to personally address in my farewell. Again, not because they are more important, simply because I want to say something to them personally.

So:
    • My original team - @Noob999 @JackThePumpkin @Qaaap @Doben: You guys are where it all started, and my first true friends in this community. I was and always will be extremely proud of you.
    • The admins of #TeamOP - @Cafedemocha @Doben @LadyLag @Mellow @Sith Master @Solar: I don't think people understand how crucial you guys are to the success of SGM. The dedication and passion you have for your position are truly commendable, and I could've never asked for a better team. Keep up the fantastic work, friends, I know I can count on you. I love you all, and thank you for everything.
    • The mods of #TeamOP - @Guilty @French Toast @Electric Taco @That One White Guy @Gazzy @NeverEnding @Noob999 @JackThePumpkin @dark of dutch @Haruka Suenaga @Rhienor @andrewca79 @TheDoctor094 @Dwardu @Zigles : You people are the bread and butter of my team. I may have not been as close to some of you as the others, but I've always kept my eyes on each and every one of you and recognized the traits that make you into the fantastic people you are. There's a reason why you're in the position you are right now, never forget that. I wish you all the best.
    • The SGM Staff team - far too many to tag: There's something truly amazing in seeing so many people volunteering their time and talent simply for the sake of helping the community they love. I seriously can't thank you enough for the work you're doing, and no words can explain how proud I am of all of you. Admins, mods, trials - all of you. You all deserve to be where you are right now. May your efforts continue to shape SGM into what it should be. I am really, really, REALLY proud of you all. Stay awesome.
    • The content team - @Carned @Chai @Falcor @ItzRebel @Rick @Skyrossm: See all these suggestions flowing in? Those map tests? Those improvements? These are all thanks to you. We managed to bring the most important aspect You guys rock.
    • @Falcor: Thank you for everything. You're a fantastic person and a talented leader, and I really couldn't ask for anyone else to run all this with. You're more than deserving to have this rank. Take good care of this community, I have no doubt you'll do great.
    • @Doben @Vinerra: You two are my closest friends here. I am blessed to have the honor of knowing you two. Your genuine love to this place is also commendable. Keep up the passion, friends, SGM needs you.
    • @LadyLag: You are something special, Miss Latency. It's a shame that you are not recognized enough for your loyalty and passion. From the early days of the flying immortal killer snail myth to these days of DR's revival, you've proven not only to be an excellent staff member, but also a true and dear friend. Keep DR safe for me, alright?
    • @Rick: You, you buttmunch. You are a real gem, amigo, and one of my dearest friends around. If only 1% of the world had your wisdom, sharpness, humor or vocabulary. I really hope life will get better for you soon, because you deserve much more than the crap you're in now. Great things await you in the future, I am sure. Stay awesome, mingeball.
    • @Carned: If people only knew how much passion you have for what you do. You're a good fellow, even if people sometimes don't agree with that. Don't let your fire die, mate, but keep it stable like I told you. See you around.
    • @Jassa: Don't forget what we spoke about. You have big things waiting for you. Take care.
    • @Xproplayer: You're enthusiasm knows no limits, and is a key part in what makes you so helpful to our community. You'll get far, I'm sure of this - just make sure to get things in proportions when required. Oh, and stop being so god-damn hyped about everything, jesus. Take care man.
    • @Sith Master: You've been my inspiration and motivation at the times where it mattered most, especially after everything that happened a while ago, and I'll never forget this. Your wisdom and understanding of this community is one of a kind, and I hope it will continue to serve you well.
    • @Verified: You have no idea how much respect I have for you. You are extremely talented and a good friend, regardless of what happened. I still see you as one of the most valuable people for me, and I hope we keep in touch. Thank you for everything.
    • @Graze: it's been a pleasure being your admin and friend. You have dedication that others can only dream of. Stay safe out there, mate.
    • @lil j: #NotYourLead ;-)
    • @CDriscoll: you're one of the main reasons I got to where I am. Even though it's been a short run together, you've been a great friend and a helping hand whenever I needed it. It's a shame our ways parted the way they did, but know that I am proud of you and very, very grateful for all you've done for me.
    • @Detective Tree @BeedoBoyo: Come back already, I miss you two.
    • And last but not least, @Highwon: If people only know how much you're doing for this community behind the scenes. It's not a popular opinion, as we all know, but once someone knows what really happens behind the scenes, they see how challenging things can be It takes a lot of will-power to keep the boat afloat while taking fire from every direction, no matter what we try to do. After all, we both know our job is as thankless as it gets. But if at the end of the day things are still running, then our work is done. Thank you for everything, and especially for this opportunity you've given me. I'm glad I could help, and I hope you're proud.

It's been an honor and a pleasure serving this community. I truly hope that my work has benefited you all in some way or another. You are fantastic people, all of you, and I am proud of being a part of this great thing. May your time here always be enjoyable and may this community long live and grow and prosper. I love you all and I want to thank you for the amazing things I've been through with you all.

Thank you for everything. And as always...
    Stay Awesome.

~
    Opalium

• Friendly x 48
    • Winner x 7
    • Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
  2. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

k

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Solar

Solar El Dorado VIP

Literally the best thing that has ever happened to SGM in recent history.

Congratulations on the promotion, and good luck to whatever endeavors you're chasing in the future, Legend.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Acnologia

Acnologia modern desperado VIP Silver

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OPALIUM YOU'RE THE BEST DON'T LEAVE PLEASE

Also, no tag.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Smusha

Smusha Meme Marine & Staffin' Machine VIP

I am waiting for everyone to pay their respects.

F

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Hyper ✿

Hyper ✿ peace lata VIP Bronze

sadbois not tagged

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Deepsea1508

Deepsea1508 Hyuman VIP Emerald

Rip lead
    welcome new dev lol

F

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Jässa

Jässa Thick thighs save lives VIP

Rip. You were awesome Opal and didnt get tired with what I put up. Good luck on your job.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Sith Master

Sith Master An individual may die, but the Sith are eternal Banned Gold VIP Emerald

Goddamnit Opal :cry:
    Thank you for those words of gratitude and encouragement, I feel very fortunate that I was able to help you out in a time of need.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Zypther

Zypther #SuitUp VIP Bronze Iron

wat. what about the content. i i am worried. please opium dont leave us

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. n0blerone

n0blerone VIP

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:(

Thanks for everything man, ill miss you as lead :(

Hope ur irl things will become better.

f :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Mellow

Mellow Taking it easy VIP

I don't think words can describe how sad I am about this. You were always a person to look up to and an amazing staff, person and guy in general. Thank you for all the work you've put into this community. I'll miss you as a Lead Admin and being supervised by you, but I'm glad that you're not entirely leaving.

Congratulations on the promotion in real life though! I can tell that it was well deserved.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Rhienor

Rhienor Integrity VIP

Opalium, you're the Lead that SGM needed and fortunately was the one we got. You've been nothing but kind and caring, taking all our opinions into consideration regardless of who we are. Your impact on SGM will be a long lasting one, and I hope that it continues to be so while you're developer!

I wish you the best in your job, and thank you profoundly, from the bottom of my heart for being there when I needed it most.

Stay safe and know that the love of TeamOP will remain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

f

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  16. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

For historys sake:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

One of the most positive and influential forces SGM has seen. Best of luck with your journeys near and far, you really are something ;-)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Highwon

Highwon Owner VIP Silver

Let me start by congratulating you on your job promotion. I hope there are many more to come. I can clearly see the reason you're being promoted if your real life performance is anything like what you have done here and I am a bit jealous they get to keep you and we don't (as a lead). Thank you for everything you did for this community as a Lead Admin and I am very sad to see you let go off the position at this time.

I hope there is enough time left over for you to keep effecting great change to this community as a developer. I am grateful for even a tiny bit of help as thing can really stack up on the back burner around here. So many cogs, so little time. ;)

• Winner x 14
    • Friendly x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
  19. Salem

Salem VIP

I'm going to miss you ):

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Cafedemocha

Cafedemocha 2319 VIP

Not. Life. This.