*Spoilers* Star wars: The Force Awakens discussion thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Han, Dec 21, 2015.

?

Did you like Star Wars: The Force Awakens

1. Yes.

74.4%
  2. No.

11.6%
  3. Neutral.

14.0%
  1. Han

Han       VIP

THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS.
    Don't complain.
    there is a serious lack of what I can do with bbcode here :eek:

I know many people on this community have already seen episode VII, so I thought it might be fun to get everyone's thoughts on it.

My thoughts:

Pros:

1. Humor. There were several amusing moments in this film, and it didn't seem incredibly forced like episode I Jar Jar. Some moments in particular, such as "That's not how the force works" and BB8's thumbs up, were great. Unlike the original series, which was stiff and practically devoid of humor apart from Han's quick wit, and the prequels, which basically had a poor mixture of out of place humor and serious matters, the jokes in episode VII seemed to fit nicely.

2. Better fights. It's no surprise that the graphics and details would be better. The fight scenes were great, Poe Dameron is a fun character I hope to see more of, and the forest lightsaber battle was really impressive, though I think it's odd that Rey would have been able to defeat a trained sith-like person like that.

3. New characters. Don't get me wrong; I love Han, Lando, Luke, etc, but it's nice to see a new cast of characters in the films. I'm looking forward to seeing what they end up doing with them.

Cons:

1. My brother used the term "remastered" instead of remake, which I think fits this movie nicely. It has so many similar things to a new hope, but on a larger scale. And really? It sucks the power of the sun? Is Dr. Evil making up these plans?

2. Unexplained things. The original trilogy was guilty of this as well, but there are so many answers I want right now. Who is Snoke? How did the KoR form? How did they wipe out Luke's jedi-in-training? It sort of reminded of the hobbit, where they set up all these questions and plot twist to get people to keep watching, and then finish up with a ridiculous ending. Episode VII ended on a cliff hanger. Did you see what I did there?

3. It felt like a pilot episode. Introducing all the big players: ( Hux, Kylo Ren, Snoke, Rey, Finn, Poe, you get the gist ) for the next movie, where things will actually happen. With Phasma being in episode eight, it's official that no "actual" villains died. The only important person that was killed was Han, and that just felt out of place.

4. Small point, but they just blew up a planet and no one batted an eye. I know ep. 4 did this too, but it just seems so stupid. Millions, possibly billions, just died, and there's nothing said about it.

another thing- I was looking at the images of Ben Solo / Kylo and it reminded me of a fan artwork Ben Skywalker from the EU. Anyone else see the resemblance?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Feel free to discuss about it, but keep it civil. Tagging @Alpha Wolfy because he co-starred in the movie.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Alpha Wolfy

Alpha Wolfy Nocturnal VIP

To start off, this movie is honestly outstanding. I didn't expect it to be good considering Disney was in charge of it but nope, totally wrong. There were a few parts where it felt like A New Hope though. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend you do instead of reading spoilers. Anyways, my thoughts are below.

I really want to see Finn and Rey's relationship grow a bit more. It's obvious that they have something between them. I just hope that it doesn't go the route of Anakin and Padme's romance and feel just so... Bad. There were a lot of scenes in the movie that hinted at a potential romance between Finn and Rey.

Examples of this:
    -When Finn first runs into Rey, he beings to run around to her to protect her but she ends up holding her own against the people that want the BB8 for parts.His reaction was priceless.
    -Hand holding?
    -Reaction when they shoot down TIE-fighters in the millennium falcon.
    -"I didn't get your name." "I'm Finn, what's yours?" "Rey." Scene
    -Finn coming clean to Rey about his past as a storm trooper.
    -When he is leaving Maz's place to get away from the first order, Finn is asking Rey to come with him. She does the same when she wants to go back to Jakku.
    -Finn comes back when he sees the first order arrive at Takodana to retrieve BB8. They end up getting Rey because she was on of the people that saw the map. He sees Kylo Ren carrying Rey, who is unconscious, into the ship. He literally starts sprinting towards them through an active war zone and screams her name.
    -Finn lies yet again by saying he knows how to take down the planetary shield but he only came to rescue Rey from Kylo Rey.
    -Han, Chewbacca and Finn find Rey. She asks what are they doing in the base in which Finn replies by saying that they are all here to rescue her. Chewbacca then says that it was Finn's idea to come get Rey which leads to a hug between the two which is held for far too long that Han interjects.
    -When fleeing the base, Finn and Rey encounter Kylo Ren. When Rey begins to take a shot at him, he throws her right into a tree and knocks her down. This obviously irritates Finn and he grabs Rey's lightsaber and begins to have a duel with Ren. This is short lived as Finn ends up getting overpowered by Ren. Finn ends up getting mortally wounded by Ren by getting slashed by lightsaber. Rey then gets up and beats the shit out of Ren with her lightsaber.
    -Rey crying over Finn's wounded body,
    -When back on Takodana, Rey saying something along the lines of "We'll see each other again, my friend" and kisses Finn on the head before setting out to find Luke.

The movie left a lot of unanswered questions.
    1. Who is Rey's parents? Could it be Luke or someone else that was a Jedi?
    2. What is Finn's heritage? Is he possibly Jedi-sensitive? I am interested about this one considering how he acted against the first order and the fact that he was using the lightsaber in some parts during the movie as a weapon. Those hint at either being Jedi sensitive or something else he could have.
    3. How did Maz get Luke's lightsaber?
    4.Who is Snoke?
    5. Who created the map to Luke's location?
    6. Why would Luke go into hiding when the first order is on the rise? I know that he felt responsible for what happened with Kylo Ren when he was a child but why leave the rest of the resistance for dead? It doesn't make sense to me.
    7. How did Kylo Ren get Darth Vader's helmet/skull? Stole it as a kid?

I felt that it was a bit early to know it all about Kylo Ren. His identity/heritage could have been revealed a lot later than now in the film. Also, I didn't really like Kylo Ren as a main antagonist in the film. He was a bit annoying at times, especially when he would throw a fit because he will never be like his grandfather, Darth Vader. Hope his character improves throughout the trilogy.

I know I am not the only one that was expecting Han Solo to get killed by his son. Still hurt though ;-;

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Miller

Miller VIP

I wouldnt really call it remaster it's more of a soft reboot which is fine with me I just hope they don't overdue it with the next movie.

4. LegitCake

LegitCake Loyalty Banned VIP

I have to agree with @Alpha Wolfy that the movie was pretty outstanding. I personally loved the fight scenes, especially the one when the resistance came in to the rescue with those T-70 X-wing fighters.
    From time to time there were humorous moments which made it fun to watch.

One of the things i noticed is how similar it was to "Episode IV -A New Hope" which kind of bothered me when i thought about it but other than that i thought it was a nice movie but you definitely should watch the previous movies before watching this one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Han

Han       VIP

I'm considering changing my name to Lando Calrissian or something, I can't go back to Han Solo if he's dead :eek:

I'm pretty doubtful that Rey is Luke's daughter. Marriage (attachment) is forbidden by the Jedi code, so I'm doubtful Luke would marry. Hokey EU and fanfic books are no match for a good canon at your side, kid.

I thought it was pretty interesting how they made Kylo Ren essentially throw temper tantrums. He's not some calm and collected sith lord, he's a bratty kid who doesn't get what he wants.

For some reason whenever I watch a movie in the theater, I just get really critical of it. The 'death star' shtick is getting old.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Chastity4lyfe

Chastity4lyfe *Eye roll* VIP Silver

First of all, I'm not much of a critic of any of the Star Wars movies, I love them all for different reasons.
    I did not like the relationship between Rey and Finn, I was SUPER upset they killed Han so early ;_; And I also was wondering who's child she is due to the force being so strong in her, I thought Luke too, but the likelihood is small, not because of the code, but because it just wasn't anything we really saw from him besides the interest in his own sister.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Personally, I loved it overall, I would rewatch it, I think the biggest problem I had was really Rey and Finn and the dynamic they built. I am still re-evaluating my entire life after seeing it and crying when Han died.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Falcor

Falcor ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ VIP Silver

Alpha yes, I think this was a parallel though with Darth Vadar when he was known as Anakin in his early Adult Life, He was whiney, made shit choices and often did shit because he personally wanted to. Until he broke and went full on darkside.
    Anakin was emotional and didn't really have to try to do dark things as the darkside naturally called to him because of him being so emotional and fearful.
    And bad shit on top of bad shit happening to him. Where as Kylo he's not quite dark yet (well maybe now the he killed papa solo)
    He's trying to live up to his idea of Vadar, and can still feel a pull from the light.
    We don't really know his fully story yet as to why he really wants to embody the darkside.
    Which could be much simpler sinister then what happened to Anakin, Palpatine slowly leading and pulling him into it plus with the emotional drama directing his life.
    Which I believe will be a major factor in how Kylo's story line plays out and what happens next.

I also think the next one will start out all cool and shit with Rey getting her supa fast jedi training (much like Luke in the original trilogy) and Possibly some type of Linage confirmation coughcoughI'm your papa Reycoughcough

I could talk more about this... so I might later. might not.
    anyways I loved it and TBH I like how the continuation has the parallels. But I believe in the next one it will be a complete 180 from the originals. Like little parallels will be there of course for ya know symmetry, but the main story line will take a turn.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Falcor

Falcor ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ VIP Silver

PLUS LUKE IS KNOWN AS THE BADASS WHO KILLED HIS EVIL FATHER AND PRETTY MUCH THE ONLY LIVING JEDI, IM SURE MORE THEN ONE SPACECHICK HOPPED ON. ya know

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Miller

Miller VIP

Yeah the kylo ren parallel makes sense I think him killing Han Solo was like when Anakin killed Mace Windu to prove his loyalty to the emperor and Rei beating Kylo Ren was like Obi Wan beating Anakin. I can also totally see Rei being Luke's daughter it seems like their going with the whole Geroge Lucas "it's like poetry it rhymes" thing so hopefully they get it right this time unlike the prequels it's a good thing J.J. Abrams is a great director.

10. Rek

Rek Ø

As one who just finished this movie as of 1:15 AM PST. I am a huge fan.

For the ones who have read many of the series after the events of episodes 4-6, you may notice some parallels.

For one, Ben Solo is the actual name of Kylo Ren in this new movie series.

In the books, Ben was the name of Luke and Mara Jade's Son, so Ben Skywalker.

Also, Jacen Solo, whose equivalent is basically Kylo Ren (Ben Solo), did in fact turn to the darkside and was later fought by Luke and killed by his own sister, Jaina.

I feel like they have honestly held close to this story as well as the basic "blow up the big plant killing machine" idea of the old movie series too much. Like in this with Kylo killing Han, he killed Luke's wife (Mara Jade) in the book series, which led to a series of events of a girl striving to bring him to justice, Jaina in the books, now Rey in the movies. It was a little too predictable at some points.

Honestly, if they do stray from the book series as well as the standard movies' plots, I will be a little bit more satisfied. But still even with all that, it is AMAZING. 9/10 Sci-Fi movie.

11. Wex

Wex The enemy of art is the absence of limitations VIP Bronze

In a book, chewbacca dies before Han. Rest In Piece EU

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Muffin

Muffin Fresh Baked VIP

Rey is definitely Luke's daughter. Jussayin'.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Muffin

Muffin Fresh Baked VIP

Also, just wanted to bring this up, because people keep referring to how little we know about Kylo Ren and the events before the movie that aren't exactly explained;

The original films did this as well, but over the course of 3 movies, the villain (Vader) was fleshed out, as well as the motives and interests of various characters and factions. This movie lays down a good foundation for the next films.

This film is basically the same exact story as A New Hope. Hopefully the next two will really kick off the story.

All in all, bad ass movie. I am not even a huge Star Wars fan, but this got me re-interested in the series, and I can't wait to see the future additions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. DasSauce

DasSauce Member

Just saw the film...about Rey's vision in the pub. Do you think that her vision was a flashback, vision of the future, or a mixture of both? To me it looked like it was a flashback of only the past, showing how Kylo Ren betrayed her, how she was abandoned, etc. I want to watch it again, and pay closer attention to the flashback, though.

15. Sir Ceil

Sir Ceil Member

Origonal movies had a story, this one is just an hour long trailer. Extremly boring at some parts and no over all objective or story.

• Dumb Dumb x 6
  16. Yeah I don't get how Rey learned the force so quick though like other jedi's go to jedi school for years before they can learn the force I mean come on she used the jedi mind trick on a storm trooper when that took Ben a long ass time to master! Other wise except for some of the stuff above like how this is just a remastered version I thought that this was a great movie!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sir Ceil

Sir Ceil Member

Yea, her Midichlorians were off the scale apparently.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  18. LegitCake

LegitCake Loyalty Banned VIP

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 4
  19. Alpha Wolfy

Alpha Wolfy Nocturnal VIP

The scenes are moments and events that the lightsaber's owner has went through, That being Luke and Anakin/Darth Vader. Scenes like the Luke vs Darth Vader fight from The Empire Strikes Back show up since Luke was one of the Jedi that owned it.

There are two scenes that hint at the Jedi massacre by Kylo Ren. One scene showing Luke laying his fake hand on R2D2 and saying inaudible words. He may have been telling R2 about his location/giving him the other piece of the map and then leaving afterwards because he felt guilty of what happened. This is not confirmed though, only a strong assumption.

I'm not quite sure about this second scene on Jakku as I can vaguely remember it; the only thing that I can remember from it is that it involved Rey as a child being taken away from someone (possibly family/family member?) for an unknown reason. This also seems to take place at the time of Kylo Ren's attack.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. The funniest part was when the two stormtroppers came by the cell and heard Kilo raging and noped out of there.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1