Rejected Spectator Deathmatch

Discussion in 'TTT Suggestions' started by My Dime Is Up, Dec 27, 2016.

Tags:
?

Read post first! Now, SpecDM?

1. Yes

11.5%
  2. No

88.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My Dime Is Up

My Dime Is Up Its my dime to code VIP

Woah woah! Hold those powers staff! I'm here to bring a new viewpoint to this suggestion. I'm not just gonna say "Add it" and fly away. Let's go in-depth. Also, don't vote until you read post below!

So, Spectator Deathmatch. No one likes being dead now, do they? This addon has been suggested many times and has been denied or shot down. Right? Well... not all the time. Click here. This thread got a lot of positive support. People were very open to this and even some staff (at the time) liked it. Now, whenever someone suggests it, they just get told it causes "Lag". This is due to staff members (Sometimes at time of post) high ranking in the staff system making assumptions. Well, I'm here to prove that is not true.

Though my server I was testing on only had 16 slots, the CPU and Memory are definitely more powerful as NFO (East Servers) and the VPSs used (West Servers) so for 40 slots with a CPU that Serious GMOD has, I think its equivalent or maybe even more powerful than needed. I did some tests on my server, one with SpecDM and one without SpecDM. I filled the server up with bots and went into SpecDM. I then switched over to my VPS and used the
    Code:
    htop
    , which can be found by doing
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install htop
    , then staying there for ~1-2 minutes. Take a look for yourself and make your own decision.

Another thing is that people complain about it being buggy. I was bewildered about this. While hooks have been added to the scoreboard, it's not glitchy and buggy (Besides some maps with T floor traps which you can still walk around (Hard concept I know :p)). So besides some map problems, the code works fine. Only things I have done is make it work with the death panel when you are killed and have stat tracking. Never had to fix the "buggy code"

If you need some more viewpoints, be sure to comment. Questions? Comment.

• Disagree x 9
    • Like x 3
    • Old x 3
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Dumb x 1
  2. The Law

The Law You fought the law and the law won. VIP Silver Emerald

Adding spectator Deathmatch would take away the magic and excitement I get from the currently existing deathmatch fun rounds. If you play one thing over and over again the magic begins to fade. And that's the reason for my "No" vote. Sorry.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

4 letters: L A G

If we had better rented servers then maybe tho

• Dumb Dumb x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 0.5
    Split with what The Law said,
    @Chai

5. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

I don't even care about the lag, I just don't care for spectator death match. I think it's stupid and unneeded. If you get THAT bored when you die, perhaps you really shouldn't be playing TTT and maybe COD with its fast paced action might be more your speed haha. -1

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy VIP Emerald

-1 Been suggested before. #GitGud

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. My Dime Is Up

did you even read the posts and/or watch the videos?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

No. +1 though

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Salem

Salem VIP

Been suggested before, i'm sticking with -1
    mostly due to what Prancer and Paci both said. I really just don't think it's needed and there's a reason it hasn't been added- no matter how many times it's suggested.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️

twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️ screwdriver Banned VIP Silver

No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dumb Dumb x 3
  11. Zypther

Zypther #SuitUp VIP Bronze Iron

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. My Dime Is Up

My other question is why has everyone's opinions swayed since it was first every suggested. Some say its not needed but WHY is it not needed?

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  13. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

This can and more than likely will cause insane server lag. I have been apart of many many many servers that have had this and have had different addons for it blah blah blha, it was cancerous on the lag.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Pacifist

What do you mean "why is it not needed"? It doesn't add anything to the core gameplay of TTT, it is not NEEDED for TTT to be good. I don't even care about it being needed, I just don't like spectator dm, which is why I -1'ed this suggestion.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Fuzzy Slug

Fuzzy Slug The Slug Army VIP Emerald

+1

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Zack

Zack Shepherd of Fire VIP

From a staff standpoint, I will tell you this - SDM is really poorly thought out as a concept. A couple of arguments FOR SDM:

1) It curbs between-round boredom, especially during longer games where you have people chanting 'slay for delay', etc. Neat.
    2) Shooting people is fun, even as a ghost.

That about covers the point and extent of SDM, no? Here's where I bring in the negatives.

1) It isn't well optimized. YOUR machine may do fine with it, that doesn't necessarily mean that others' will. We have people who incur spectacular lag from sprays alone, never mind SDM.
    2) It isn't an answer to the boredom between rounds like it needs to be, as it generates a new problem all by itself - people complaining and whining about the Gun Game style respawning and spawn camping. Ultimately, people just chain headshot you or burn you down before you can ever turn and fire. This leads to every staff member here having another menial load of non-sense to deal with.
    3) As has been mentioned, the concept wears out quickly, and it draws attention away from the game mode itself. I'm not saying watching 6 minutes of traitors not doing anything is the most exciting thing in the world, but it feels silly to come in to play TTT, and not be ready to accept what the game mode is at the core.

Essentially, it bogs down, and doesn't bring much to the experience. I'm strongly against spectator deathmatch ever being added to our servers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. My Dime Is Up

I don't like being on the defensive side and being very defensive but I guess the point of a suggestion is to also persuade people that your suggestion is good, so I will respond to most posts.
    Refer to top post. If a $5 Vultr server could handle it fine, I'm sure a $30 NFO server and Dedicated Psychz server can handle it just fine.

Death panel isn't needed. End of round music isn't needed. But they're added. They don't add anything to the core gameplay of TTT. Neither does this but a lot of newcomers would enjoy passing the time. So I don't see your point

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

• Like Like x 1
  19. My Dime Is Up

I never claimed it was the same. NFO can handle 36 players and SpecDM just fine. When I hosted with NFO, it worked just fine.

20. Pacifist

Ok, I'm sorry. Guess I have to put this a different way. I don't like Spectator Deathmatch. I am super happy that seriousgmod doesn't have it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.