Slur removal rule discussion

Discussion in 'TTT Discussion' started by My Dime Is Up, Jun 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My Dime Is Up

My Dime Is Up Its my dime to code VIP

Yeah for some reason my original draft after the rule was removed never posted. Was confused why I wasn't getting any alerts. Turns out I never posted the thread. Anyway...

Thoughts on how the community was during the time when racial slurs were allowed and (I guess now since my original draft never posted) how do you think we are a little after this.

Personally hated the rule. It was dumb to allow it not only because its just "a slur" but also because it doesn't give a very professional and mature look on the community. That's what the lead admins claimed at the time that "if we allow slurs, it will make us look mature since we aren't directing them and were not giving the word power", but all it did here was make the community look unmanaged. It affected the forums a little more than I expected but the number of times I saw the n-word being tossed around just because "we could" surprised me. We also lost quite a few members whether that be they never came back or have drastically lost interest in STTT/SGM. Good example is Zyp (https://www.seriousgmod.com/threads...ay-type-racial-slurs.52809/page-4#post-555384). Silent Rebel, Drunk Dog, and more. They may not have been the best people but they were still regulars we knew that dipped for a long time (or forever at this time).

Personally looks like the community is doing better now that the rule has been removed. Derailing threads has gone down and we look a little better but what are your opinions.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Najm

Najm Feeling cute, might remove other eye later. VIP

I also think it was definetly a good decision, for several reasons. It is a standpoint against hate, it creates a child-friendlier environment and it makes the interpersonal interactions better in general.

Nevertheless, we should not make assumptions about members leaving specifically due to the introduction of that rule - it is a very harsh assumption.

EDIT: Oops, I misread the post, sorry. I thought you meant that the restriction on slurs made people leave. Well, now it makes a lot more sense.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. My Dime Is Up

I think @Zypther made it clear and seeing as that was his last post I would take that as a definite. As for others yeah I am assuming but when they posted there vs there post count following that decreased significantly. I was just using them as examples as its obvious that that rule change probably played a role in how much people wanted to be engaged with STTT from that point on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Lady Cloudia

Lady Cloudia VIP Silver

In the end, slurs were only basically used because people wanted to make edgy jokes without punishment but in today's society that's unacceptable. Honestly with slurs being allowed it made SGM look immature and unprofessional that no server until this year wanted to do cross-server events with us. I'm happy I can feel accepted as a minority playing on SGM without harassment through the use of slurs. I'm not shocked that people left during the time slurs were allowed and it's clear we should rebuild some of that player base for the future.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  5. Najm

Najm Feeling cute, might remove other eye later. VIP

I edited my post because I misread yours yikes. I thought you said that people left because slurs are now forbidden.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Frost

Frost Frosted Pun King VIP

I tell ya what, this lead administration (including Paci) has done a very good job in pushing Highwon to do things. With their limited power now, they've done a lot to improve the staff team (yano less tyrannical mods and more chill and calmness) are more in the server. Other than when Nilla gets toxic af. They still have work to do, but I do wanna say they've been great.
    The banning of slurs again was an amazing decision and hopefully not too late of a decision. It makes us look more professional and well a place to be comfortable at.
    I wanna see some changes in the servers, and more community reaching out in terms of accepting suggestions and adjusting rules to fit the current status of TTT today. Also a change up in the servers, since modded isn't doing so hot, we should try to meet with a slightly modded vanilla-esc server. Not too many addons, but not too little. Make it fun and leveled. It's possible and has had success before.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  7. Imagine if slurs didn't get banned then. Dude's right, that shit ain't ok for any reason, and especially now with all them protests? I can't say SGM would shut down, too many racist fucks playing these servers, but it def coulda been hit hard.

Regardless, it's good that's gone. However, I'd like to see it being enforced more strictly, in the literal day I've been back, I've seen slurs get thrown around a stupid amount of times with mods on, I'm like huh?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. Emily❤

Emily❤ The strongest light is the one within VIP Silver Emerald

All I honestly want to know is why it was allowed to begin with. Like using your head is rather important when you make rules.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  9. Lady Cloudia

Lady Cloudia VIP Silver

Because a certain somebody wanted to get themselves out a ban by saying "but what if it's not directed at anybody"

10. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

I supported freedom of speech, so I was fine with slurs. But having them removed just means it's one more thing staff have to be aware of. AND know of

• Dumb Dumb x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. RhazhBash

RhazhBash Professional Button Presser VIP

The logic behind allowing slurs seems fine on paper, but in practice you start to realize that it isn't a good idea.

There were two main reasons slurs were allowed. Banning the words would give them more power, and if slurs were banned people would find other ways to troll. In theory this makes sense to why they were allowed, but we learned that allowing them caused more harm than good.

I get that they didn't want to give the words more power, but the problem is that the words already had power. You can't remove the negative connotations behind those words just by allowing them.

Yes trolls are gonna troll even if slurs are banned, but using slurs is a much more effective way to troll. Let's be honest. People who use slurs aren't trying to be racist. They're doing it to annoy the hell out of everyone on the server. Banning slurs both limits the options for trolls who want to avoid being banned and allows us to deal with people who use them much faster.

I understand why they were allowed, but when you saw that rule in action you realize that it made it way easier for trolls to troll. Now less people are gonna troll with them and the ones who do are gonna be off the server fast.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. i used slurs to troll....now mods troll members that use slurs....this is so trolling! like if you're a professional troll!

• Like Like x 5
    • Creative Creative x 2
  13. Bogdanoff

Bogdanoff VIP

Following that logic, you should also make posts moderated approved only, as those are viable methods to troll as well. And rremove the magneto stick in game, because that trolls too.

• Dumb Dumb x 12
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. My Dime Is Up

Think there's a reason why you have more negative ratings than positive. Just saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub

Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub i'm thinking i'm thinking VIP

i agree but also

smd dude wth :(

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. AAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAA coolgamer VIP

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub

Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub i'm thinking i'm thinking VIP

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Bogdanoff

Bogdanoff VIP

Wow, you have more bad internet points than good internet points!!!

Really got me there :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
  19. Ice Bear

Ice Bear Member

guys btw in case you didnt know, saying a word =/= racist.
    a joke is a joke. it has zero actual meaning besides it being a joke. if some makes a joke with the n word in it or says it because they want to, unless they hate black people, guess what, they arent racist.

• Dumb Dumb x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911

Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911 Now you just somebody that I used to know VIP Silver

I mean..... It's still annoying how you are allowed to say 'nigga' in my opinion.

• Dumb x 4
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.