SGM Official Discord? - A Proposal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Opalium, Sep 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

It is totally possible to make shoutbox post in discord.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Opalium

Opalium Stay Awesome Banned VIP Silver

Yes, but that doesn't mean it'll be as intuitive as it is now. Since we're bridging two different services that weren't exactly mean to work together, it gets a bit complicated behind the scenes. It'll work, but it'll be more error-prone. Still, this is definitely possible.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Boomshakalaka

Boomshakalaka VIP Bronze

Discord please

4. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

So uh, yes, I love the sound of it.

Nice job with the bot. Glad to see it's finally to a functional server state @Opalium

+1

5. dude85632

dude85632 VIP

I would love Discord.

6. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

Make shoutbox like dscord, dont do that stupid ass "keep the same cosmetics". It's not worth the time and effort to make it so they look the same. As far as my opinion on discord goes, I fucking hate it. I hate discord with a passion, but the server needs to have it. It's better than teamspeak and all the other shit chat programs. Make it happen captain.

so are we getting a discord server now, it's pretty obvious that we all WANT IT so badly.

7. Shadow™

Shadow™ What it do Shortyyyy™ VIP

+1 i personally like discord over ts3
    it could be a change

8. discord is one of the best services out there, so yes. do this. so many un official ones have been made, even one by me that didnt go to well. also, a custom bot? holy shit. YES. if not official, id still join.

9. shoutbox or bust

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. Id say the only problem with this would be the ghosting factor, as we can all share info while in the discord. This would also make T rounds a bit harder because when you talk in game it will go through discord so talking to your T-Buddies would be difficult, unless you have 2 separate push to talk buttons for discord and gmod. It will also create a double of everyones voices if they choose to speak in game, unless again 2 separate push to talk buttons. I think this will be fun to try out and just see if it would work and if not then we just scrap the idea. Im up for this

• Dumb Dumb x 5
  11. Agent A

Agent A Veni, vidi, vici VIP Silver Emerald

Likewise, this sharing of information can be done on both sb and ts3 (as well on other places where people can ghost to other people). If they choose to leak, they can and will be under scrutiny as well as face potential ghosting ban.

You can always rebind keys so you can have one for discord and one for in-game. This can also be done via ts3 as well so this isn't a new issue. Besides, GMOD leaves out numerous keys for us to rebind to so I don't think this will even be a major issue.

12. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

its almost like this is a non issue currently with TS and would still be a non issue with discord.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I was just throwing out a possibility

14. StrayHunter

StrayHunter Emerald

I swear to god if any of you uses :thonk: you bastards are in for one.

15. Adrian Shephard

Adrian Shephard VIP Silver

:thonk:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. dazza

dazza Banned VIP Bronze

Opalbot sounds cool, would like to know a bit more about opalbot personally hmu ;) , do i have to take it out for dinner?

i preffer discord replacing SB because 1) taigachat lack constant updates and 'wow factor' features and 2) having discord integrated into forums means if we are talking in 'sb' while browsing forums then all of a sudden it decides to stop work (like it is now)
    [​IMG]
    we can continue our conversation simply by opening discord app, also it allows for easier mobile access.

not sure about in-game integration, sounds like more work than its worth and could even cause issues like ghosting ? not sure what the intention is so maybe some more info there would be good

overall, massive support for this, if you need a help i may be able to help so hmu

17. Emily❤

Emily❤ The strongest light is the one within VIP Silver Emerald

I can't check profiles either so I don't think this is on SB just saying :oops:

18. Opalium

Alright. It seems the idea of a community Discord is generally appreciated with all of you. While it may have some imperfections, I believe those can be improved as we go on.

This means we have a green light on getting this project moving, and the preparations are already underway.
    For now, some updates:
    • OpalBot is going quite well. Together with @PixeL we managed to write most of the core functionality of it. OpalBot, as of right now, is already alive and well.
      [​IMG]
      Right now our focus is on the auto-moderation systems, which mostly revolve around spam prevention, chat monitoring and basic auto-censorship. Once we finish that, we'll move on to integration with our different services.
    • Mentioning this, my experiments with SB-Discord integration were successful so far. This means that both paths are now available for us (see the first post), and the SB integration option doesn't seem as scary as before. I'm still not entirely sure which one will be better, but I guess we'll find out soon.
    • I can already see those coming so, I'll answer it now: There is no ETA yet. We're still at the development phase of many of the tools we will require. OpalBot is just one part of these things - and while it's the biggest, there's still some more work after that.

So far this is all looking good! I am just as excited as many of you probably are. I'll keep you all updated when there's more to tell. For now - let me hear more of what you think.

~Opalium

p.s. No, the forum downtime today was not related.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

Come-on opal, skype hasn't been the king of communication for years now smh

Either way Discord is a fairly simple layout but SB would never be the same +1

20. Opalium

Hey fellows. Some more updates:
    • OpalBot is progressing much more quickly than I expected. We already have ~70% of its core functions ready. With the auto-moderation module mostly ready, OpalBot now monitors the text channels and makes sure to remove anything that is "too inappropriate":
      [​IMG]
    • I also started working on the surrounding systems that will be needed. As you can remember, one of the features we look for is connecting your forums account with the Discord. This will allow you to automatically have your ranks assigned, will be an important part of the SB integration, and will also help in defending from spammers and trouble-makers (unauthorized users will be limited until they connect their account).
      Thankfully, recent tests I made with this were definitely successful, thanks to Discord's OAuth2 API:
      [​IMG]
      This is what you will see when you click our soon-to-be "Link with Discord" button on the forums. Once you authorize it, OpalBot will be able to see what is your forum account and set you up accordingly.
      And yes, you should totally check lil' oBo's new mixtape. That's OpalBot's rapper name.
    • Last, but not least, I am looking into registering our community as a Discord partner once everything is up and running. This gives us some really cool perks, like VIP voice servers, higher-quality Discord server hosting, and custom server design. Our community is big enough to be considered, and I hope this will work as planned. More on this later on.

I'm really happy with our progress so far. We're going faster than I expected, and I can carefully estimate that we'll be ready for some live beta tests later next week. I can't promise, but that's my assumption.

Have a wonderful day!
    ~Opalium

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.