SeriousTTT CTE

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Carned, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

Before you shoot this suggestion, please read it in its entirety.

What is the idea of SeriousTTT CTE?
    Well, i took this idea from Battlefield 4, in which the PC Premium members have dedicated servers for testing new maps, guns and patches. Obviously within TTT it would be one server and more dealing with Models and other suggestions put forward by the community.

You can read more about BF4 CTE here if you would like.

How does this work within SeriousTTT?
    Currently Highwon has a private testing server for himself and Lead Admins, now as great as this is, we as a community don't get to give input on suggestions and by having things available for longer means we can find bugs easier, and then we can avoid having poor maps implemented.

SeriousTTT CTE would include

• Access only for Donators+ (May require whitelist, could just be easier to allow all members?)
    • Would rotate ever 1-2 weeks with new features from suggestions.
    • Would not be a priority to staff and could be unstaffed as players would expect to be testing and to expect bugs
    • Voting section on the forums for what goes onto the main server and/or what it replaces.

Why would we want this?
    Having this would allow members of the community to feel involved in what goes into the servers they play, it also allows people to have new content to try out weekly/bi-weekly and thus the servers are more enjoyable to play because everyone loves new content.

Wouldn't this create more work for Highwon?
    Initially yes, setting up the server and picking what to add is always going to take time and the cost of an extra server is apparent. However some of this work could be dedicated to a small group of enthusiasts who enjoy searching and adding content, thus would need to be a group of people willing to be dedicated and trusted.
    However this is hypothetical and Highwon may just choose to do it himself.

How Content is Selected?
    The most popular suggests from each testable category will be added to the CTE for a period of 1-2 weeks.
    Feedback will be given in a forum section dedicated to CTE.

Example Thread - 10/4/15 CTE Week 1 Feedback (Arrow,Minecraft, MP40)

Comments will be posted about how they feel about each feature and the final post will be a poll asking for the community to vote on what they wish to see added.

Pro/Cons
    Pros
    • New Content
    • Testing for bugs
    • Variety of content
    • Community feels involved
    • Less testing for Highwon
    Cons
    • Setting up of server
    • Overchange of content takes time
    • Cost
    • Testing team of content pickers?

Conclude
    Overall i think this would be really beneficial for this server to become a thing for the reasons listed above and i'm eager to here any feedback from other members, particularly those around here who would set the cogs in motion.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

K

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Red

Red Harbinger of Arceus VIP

+2

4. +12

5. Lemon

Lemon ideal male moderator VIP Silver

I don't know about this

I know Highwon frequently tests maps on normal servers. I have been on when a map randomly changes to a map no one has seen before. So we as a community kinda do get to test some maps. Also, for player models and weapons, why not just download it from the workshop and test it out in singleplayer?

6. HoneySenpai<3

HoneySenpai<3 VIP Silver

Or you know have a lan party to test stuff out

7. Big Al

Big Al I hit em' up VIP

This would be really cool and a great way for content to be analyzed before being implemented in the main servers.
    It could also allow for many more server-related suggestions to actually get tried out, instead of the usual 1 in every 50 or so that get accepted.

This won't happen though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Carned

Isn't that what Highwon did with Link skin?

Community found that was broken in about 2 days.

9. Orion

Orion He is Exalted Administrator VIP

The test server is open for everyone. I was there with Darktooth, Slicck and Highwon a few days ago.
    But yeah, it would be cool to see this happening. +1

10. Carned

bump maybe @Chai can use this to test his stuff as well idek anymore it wouldnt really need staffing so w/e

11. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

i like this thing

get your generous community involved in making servers they want +1

12. Zypther

Zypther #SuitUp VIP Bronze Iron

+1

13. Adrian Shephard

Adrian Shephard VIP Silver

Bump +1

14. Zikeji

Zikeji Repoleved VIP Emerald

I think testing maps via randomly going to the map works out well. However, I disagree with your player models & weapons assessment. Having been involved in testing before (even making a few things running in the servers) we do (or at least, did) test model hitboxes and balance weapons.

15. Togo ✿

Togo ✿ Nobody Gets it VIP Silver

+1 but odds are this wont become a thing

16. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

This suggestion is nearly 2 years old. Imo, if it wasnt added then, it wont be added now.

However, there could have been factors that kept Highwon from adding it, and those may have changed, so we will see.

Regardless, I feel that all of this can be done by hosting a server through GMod. Having someone host through their personal computer can keep highwon from having to pay monthly for a server that would only be used 2-4 times a month. Find someone with a beast of a computer and ask them if they would be willing to host it. Any addon that the player has in his "subscribed" folder for GMod, will go into the server.

17. Carned

We're kinda already doing this internally now, yay!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. NeverEnding

NeverEnding It's Never going to end. Trust me on this. VIP

+∞

19. littlememe

littlememe nothinglastsforever VIP Bronze

+1