Sticky Serious talks.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

OK let me make this clear, It's only something I use amongst friends. I won't say "The president is gay" or "The chicken fries at Burger King are gay", or even use gay as a negative in formal situations.
    I have free speech dammit, I respect your choice to view it as homophobic, but you can respect my choice too not see it as such.

Also my intention is calling something stupid.

• Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  2. Rozboon

Rozboon Forgive and Forget, or just forget. VIP

If you think the word "gay" is homophobic, then you think christmas is homophobic

"Don we now our gay apparel"
    And this is just one example.

I remember back in my day when "gay" was used in many different contexts, usually "happy" but now it's been twisted and turned into something else and it's pathetic, stop giving so much weight to a fucking word and grow up.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Dumb x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Old x 1
  3. Indy226

[​IMG]
    Even the contexts I use "Gay" in are literal definitions
    It's a word with multiple meanings, a Polysemy.
    Plus I have heard of people named Gay for both names.
    William Gay
    John Gay
    Gay Smith
    Gay Johnson

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Nuno

Nuno Nothing is better than Tesco's own brand gin Administrator VIP Silver

The problem I'll say is the multiple definitions of words, and how society views it as it's ever-changing older terms for the word are more gotten rid off, in favour of other definitions - which leads to the confusion of it having many defined definitions which can be given different contexts.

This leads to the problem of not everyone comprehending the different definitions of the word, which is why most people are quick to judge on it and say that gay is seen a bad, and therefore gay people bad etc, and then people get offended when someone calls something gay when thinking its in harmful intent.

Words just need to have fewer definitions attached to em, - just make new words or get rid of definitions.

5. Indy226

That 2000 year old book also states "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made." And if you have ever talked to a priest who follows Christianity to it's right path will tell you that you are loved regardless of who you are. A friend on my Football team invited me to a thing called FCA ( Fellowship of Christian Athletes ). At one of the meetings I went to, a muslim was there. But oh boy, the guy hosting the event told him "We know you're different than us, but that doesn't matter because we will still love you for who you are." It's the people who interpret that book as being anti gay you should be mad at. For lying to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. slug

slug Bronze

Traps

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. PwnageKO

PwnageKO "I'll be seeing you on the forums." VIP

Everyone has the right to free speech, but that means people criticizing you for your speech also have their right to criticize your speech. It isn't government censorship, it's people just telling you they do not like what you are saying which they are free to do.

As for using gay as an insult, I think both context and intent do matter the most. Sure, you or someone else may use gay in a non-insulting form in conversation with no bad intent towards the gay community, but I feel like for the majority of people use it as an insult the context of how they are using the word is generally in a negative usage. For that reason, I don't think everyone who uses gay as an insult is entirely homophobic, but I think it does say something at least to their character and the extent they are willing to be respectful of the gay community.

If all it takes is to try to not use that specific word in a negative way that some people in that community would like people to stop using it like that, is that not really easy? I know we don't like in general people telling us what to do, but as someone earlier said, it's just a fucking word. Rather than telling someone else to get over your use of it, why not just use the more correct language that is the underlying subtext when you use gay as an insult? Just say, "Man, that shit is fucking stupid and I think you're an idiot for telling me that."

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. UncleBee

UncleBee VIP

you can simply say "you're stupid" or "thats stupid" instead of using the gay in a negative way

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  9. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

I grew up in a conservative area and it was normal to use the word gay to describe things as "stupid". Did it my whole life growing up. I moved to california in my early 20's and it was a culture shock when it came to the LGBTQ community. The way my gay female friend explained it to me was like this; "When you use the word gay to describe something unpleasent, change the word gay to my name and you'll understand how I hear it. You are using my identity to describe something in a negative light, which means you look at my identity in a negative way. Saying something is gay in that way is like using someones name as a derogatory term, and it makes them feel bad." It's like if your friend kyle does something stupid one day and then in the future you describe fuckups as "kyles" like "oh you really kyled that up man". Ever since then I've tried to make a conscience decision to not use the word like that because it ostricizes a group of people and it takes no effort to not do it.

I don't think I was ever homophobic growing up, even if I may have said some homophobic things. A lot of times saying things like this doesn't come from a place of hate, but from misunderstanding or ignorance. Just blatantly calling people homophobic for not understanding this won't solve anything (sometimes it can even make it worse or reinforce the problem), it should be treated like a learning experience.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Indy226

Kinda hard to do that over time when all your friends do the exact same thing

11. Indy226

@Lead Vladmin the Impaler I'm a little confused so can you help me?
    U've rated the past six posts of mine in this thread with a dislike, so my guess is you view the term "Gay" as an insult to be a no no thing.
    But then I see this on your profile?
    [​IMG]

You acting pretty sus not gonna lie jabba

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

Can you guys keep this to serious talks and not discussions on what you think is an insult

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
  13. Mr. Rogers

Mr. Rogers Lil Tokyo VIP Silver

lol why is this being argued about.

If you're with your homies who gives a fuck what you say. Nobody's gonna care.

If you're out in public around potentially gay people calling something gay when you mean stupid is probably not a good idea if you're trying to avoid awkwardness but if you don't care then whatever it doesn't mean you're homophobic, but if someone calls u that don't be surprised lol

Both of these are true.
    also this is fucking hilarious lmfao

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Jabba the Slut

Jabba the Slut That's Kinky! Lead Admin VIP Silver

I disliked your posts because I dislike ignorance. I also find anyone who thinks love between consenting adults to be wrong or a "sin" to be the lowest form of human.

As for the thing on my profile, if you look you'll see I like 99% of everything posted on my profile.

• Like x 2
    • Dumb x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Confusing x 1
  15. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

Aye okay Im just gonna butt in here. This thread has turned from being a thread that players can talk about their issues to one that players are arguing a topic. Please stop derailing this thread.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. STONEY

STONEY I AM FIRE, I AM DEATH. VIP

As some of you may have noticed I've taken a break from playing. Life has gotten more harder to live each day. This past week hit the ball out of the park. My mom has developed an enlarged trachea which limits her airway and on top of that she suffers from asthma and allergies. Last Friday she had mucus drowning her lungs and she stopped breathing, following going into cardiac arrest. Coincidentally my girlfriends mother was close at hand and did CPR on her and resuscitated her back to life. If not for her being there my mom wouldn't of have survived. I owe my life to her. I had to witness my mom die in front of me on the living room floor. Paramedics came and took her away to the hospital.

With Covid and everything I have not been allowed visitations and that's been difficult to encounter, but I've spent hours on the phone with nurses and family trying to figure everything out for my mom. I'm happy to say that this morning she went into surgery and came out better than ever and she should be home in the next 48 hours. I know I'm not very close with anyone here, but this place has always been the landmark to come to for some of my life's focal points and I have never felt like I can't share anything with you guys. I love all you guys and the support many of you have given me in the past.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  17. Indy226

Hey we're here for you, if you ever need to talk just pm me at Indy226#9409 I'm almost always open.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. sleepy panda

sleepy panda A panda that may be sleeping VIP Bronze

God these last few months have been tough. I've lost so much of the motivation I've previously had to really do anything. I even rarely want to hang out with friends anymore or go out to eat. I just sit at home bored and I feel like my depression is just getting worse. Going to my parents for assistance feels like it would be a last resort as every time I bring something like that up they seem to give other reasonings for why I always feel depressed. For example, my mom just told me I don't have enough to do when I talked to her about depression, which is true but I'm sure it would be easier to find hobbies if I didn't have a complete lack of motivation.

Honestly wish I could find a hobby which distracted me or actually gave me any sort of happiness but that seems to be lacking for me nowadays.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. Makoto

Makoto VIP

Sports become a drug with time. It kills boredom and laziness, provides self esteem, motivation and taste to challenge yourself. Please find a sport you enjoy and go running or biking for cardio, eat well and a lot of things will be better in your life.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Had no idea this thread even existed. Nice to see that it does. Please keep it appropriate and adhere to being about serious life issues as well.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Confusing x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Dumb x 1