Rejected Remove the Gauss Rifle Warning Rule that Isn’t Even in the Extended Rules

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by Noccam :^), Dec 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noccam :^)

Noccam :^) Regular Member

I think title says it all. The rule itself is stupid to begin with (you shouldn’t have to warn when you are going to shoot a gauss rifle at all), but the fact that it’s not even in the rules in a visible way means that players don’t know to do it. That’s extra stupid.

• Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  2. sleepy panda

sleepy panda A panda that may be sleeping VIP Bronze

!!!

3. -Vader-

-Vader- VIP

It's not crossfire because it simply just ain't crossfire. It has been mathematically proven that when you use a gauss rifle compared to any gun, it isn't crossfire. I love how mods and admins make rules on a fly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
  4. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

I believe that since the gauss rifle is an explosive item, it currently has under the first warning teammates rule:
    WARNING TEAMMATES
    1. Warning if you're about to use an item, usually explosive or traps, that may cause damage to them.

I believe this suggestion should be: Classify the gauss rifle as a normal gun, or, make an exception to the explosive item rule for the gauss rifle

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nathan776

Nathan776 Administrator Administrator VIP Silver

There's not all that many times I've seen a reason to warn for using a Gauss rifle. I only tend to warn when some traitor is trying to hug the innocents to death. Also I'm really lazy. I feel the rule itself however serves a larger benefit as a defense for the traitor who is shooting the Gauss against RDM reports.
    Regarding crossfire etc - I don't feel that it should differ from standard gun rules in that if the shot itself comes into contact with the user it can be considered crossfire. If the person would of been damaged by the explosive portion of the Gauss regardless; so long as there is no valid warning; it is RDM. Unlike other explosives such as grenades, you don't have to try and account for funky gmod physics. Updating the current ruleset to reflect something like this would be beneficial in my opinion.

We shouldn't really have terms like "usually" in the rule set. Is tear gas considered a trap and something I have to warn for or not? Things like that should be easily answered looking at the extended rules but since the big rule change it isn't.

6. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

"Gauss rifle must be warned if explosive AOE may damage a teammate" ez that way you have to warn if shooting in groups still, but crossfire is still possible

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 do you know how it feel to feel alone VIP Bronze

if It explodes, you have to warn for it. how hard is it to say, “I’m shooting a gauss watch out”

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

It is an explosive device that you can activate willingly on your own accord... why wouldn't you need to warn it? It can cause damage to your T buddies, and giving them a quick "hey guys i'm using a Gauss rifle get out of the way" is a good way to ensure you don't damage them. You may say "well, what if I need to kill someone quickly because they found out i'm a traitor?" and to that I would say that it is the same as a frag grenade. If you throw it in a gunfight and it kills a traitor, you are responsible if you didn't warn.

The rules clearly say that you must warn for explosive items, but I can update them to make it more clear.

• Like Like x 1
  9. eks dee

eks dee SGM editor in chief VIP Bronze

evidence.png
    say that eks dee is trying to shoot juicy with his gauss then sheapeasy (his T buddy) walks in front of the shot, he is outside of the blast zone and if eks dee was using a normal gun
    sheapeasy would still be killed since the shot works like a normal bullet until it hits it's target, if sheapeasy was in the blast zone it would of course be a different story
    i think that the gauss shouldn't be seen as an explosive until the bullet lands

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  10. Anonymous1

this is retarded. the gauss rifle is an explosive gun. the bullet it fires is always explosive? lmao? what is so hard about this situation just warn when you are going to shoot because most of the time the gauss does splash damage. just because sometimes it doesn't do splash damage doesn't change the fact that its an explosive weapon. but hey, if you wanna keep not warning and getting slain for it its fine by me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Frost

Frost Frosted Pun King VIP

Just pop a warning that you're gonna use a gauss rifle in t chat, it's a simple call-out, as long as you call it, it's on your t buddy for being oblivious

12. Noccam :^)

ANY gun can cause damage to my T buddies. The gauss rifle is a weapon with nuances, you shouldn’t (and can’t) just cover it with a rule blanket. You shouldn’t have to warn for gauss rifle shots. Should it still be considered rdm if you hit your T buddies in the explosion? Absolutely. Should you have to warn every time you shoot the gauss rifle? Absolutely not. Should you have to warn for a shot that was never intended to hit someone, but it does because of CROSSFIRE? No. That’s ridiculous. You don’t warn when you are going to throw a harpoon or shoot a barrel gun, which could easily kill a traitor buddy if used incorrectly. The explosion radius on the gauss rifle is incredibly small, and the only reason one would ever think to warn for it (which I have done plenty of times) is because a traitor is hugging an innocent.

There is a world of difference between having to warn for every shot and recommending that people warn. It should still be handled on a case by case basis. Not a blanket punishment/ruling saying that it’s impossible for things like crossfire to happen because you used “an explosive”, even though the gauss rifle isn’t a normal explosive.

This ruling makes it seem like the belief on the server is that the players are completely inept and do not know how to think rationally about what won’t get them punished or what to do out of common sense. A ruling like this is just a blanket band aid that doesn’t make sense because it’s essentially trying to erase all nuance from situations (like Pale Riders) so that reports are easier to handle. It’s a downgrade in rule and report handling quality.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  13. -Vader-

-Vader- VIP

Imagine banning your regulars for a rule that they didn't know existed. On top of top, imagine invalidating their appeal, making it into a month ban. I would understand if it was intentional, but a person walking into your shot, and that counts as an RDM? Not their fault that their teammates are brain dead. These are the people that would report you for dying to your c4 because they are too smooth brain to understand how they died. They didn't see why they died and how they died. These people don't understand their surroundings, these are the people that you would call one action per minute.

Not even a reduced ban as well? I shouldn't have a fucking list of rules in front of me all the time, shit happens, get over it. You are banning a REGULAR player who plays on the server 24/7, and you treat him like trash. I love how this is so clear cut, but when I reported cereal killer, and saw his bullets flying and shit, that isn't clear cut and the report was invalid. You have a rule of common sense, but that wasn't too clear cut for you. Imagine flip flopping at every rule. Make up your minds, stop being trash.

If only highwon cared enough, he would've just CTRL + A and DEL all of these mods/admins that don't know what is left and what is right. Never have I ever been in a community where all the mods/admins are just running around like they are in a zoo.

What if you don't have a microphone, do you have to type out that you are going to kill a person? That person would've ran away before you warned your traitors. Also, does the warning have to be 5 seconds like every explosive trap?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
  14. Anonymous1

how fucking hard is it to warn? even then, the harpoon and barrel gun examples are both completely fucking useless because they aren’t the same class of weapon as the gauss. what you don’t get is that it being an explosive doesn’t completely eliminate crossfire. it’s just that because the gauss is explosive it brings about a whole new category of situations in which you can damage team mates, which can be blanketed by requiring warnings. and when you want to make it a case by case basis it just over complicates everything and causes discrepancies in opinion and what staff member is present at the time, which is way uglier that just holding u for 3 fucking seconds and saying watch out I’m boutta shoot a gauss.

yeah, exactly. what you’re advocating for would put more responsibility in the staff members hands you bucket of bricks. if every single time someone shot a gauss the staff member present would have to use their opinion and make a call based off of intent, crossfire, distance and a whole bunch of shit they wouldn’t have to if you just warned. so tell me, what do you want more, a minor inconvenience that takes 5 seconds to do or put all the power of interpretation in the hands of the staff team that you just dissed? get your fucking head straight.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Noccam :^)

So I’ll start with the fact that we are in agreement that crossfire shouldn’t be ruled out. As for (gonna paraphrase) “brings about new situations that can be blanketed”...no, that’s not a recipe for good moderation. You’re telling me that this weapon can create multiple different situations of rule breaking and instead of handling them appropriately, case by case, it’s better to install a complete blanket ruling? Oh wait, no, it’s just EASIER and MORE CONVENIENT. I don’t expect perfection from the mod team. Never have, never will, but that is an especially lazy approach to staffing and I’m surprised it’s coming from someone who used to be a Lead Admin. It would probably not be that much harder to handle it case by case. Isn’t that what’s supposed to happen anyways? Each report is supposed to be investigated? and appropriately handled? A blanket ruling just makes it so that the staff don’t have to do as much work, and that is not indicative of a staff that cares.

P.S. This is more of a discussion now rather than a suggestion, is it possible to move the thread or is it stuck here now?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  16. Anonymous1

nigga.

first of all, don't say its surprising coming from a lead admin suggesting this because its more convenient, because I'm not the guy who is going to have a problem with the case by case thing you're talking about. what me being a lead admin did teach me was that shit like this ^^, the thing that you're pulling for, would be a shit show. it would be a shit show because there are WAY more competent staff members than others, so someone like cowcakes or Noc would be solid and be able to give you good verdicts and handle things accordingly, but the latter wouldn't be so capable. and yeah, each case is supposed to be investigated and handled, because no shit that's how staffing works. but throwing wrenches in to things that can be covered so easily as just FUCKING MAKE A BIND TO WARN is completely pointless. but someone who has never been a staff member like, hmm, YOU can very easily make assumptions about what staffing is like, and make genuinely bad arguments like that. oh, and don't come at me personally nigga

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Noccam :^)

I literally haven’t come at you. I was genuinely surprised that a former Lead Admin would push for something like a blanket ruling because it seems counterproductive towards the core idea of staffing on these servers. Your arguments here are honestly concerning because now not only is it laziness, its staff incompetence. Staff incompetence that would be fixed by the players doing work for them. It’s not a good look at all.

If you want to keep attacking people and then doubling back, you’re more than welcome to, but I’d rather you approach this with a more open mindset.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Anonymous1

what are you even talking about. yeah, im using staff incompetence, because its a legitimate factor of concern that staff members will make errors in rulings such as this. and idk about you, but I don't want a large margin of error like judgment calls for things that once again, can be solved so easily as to making a bind or holding your u key.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

First of all, if he is a regular he should have known this information. It is posted in the extended rules that you must warn for explosive items and traps. This was his third ban for RDM and Leave, which puts the ban at four weeks. He is only banned from East, and considering he mainly plays vanilla anyways? He could have taken the slay and argued it after, but he decided to leave and that is why he was banned. The slay is totally justifiable under our current rules, and as such he was banned for a valid reason. This isn't a list of rules thing, this is literally one of the main rules: If you are a traitor and you plan to activate a trap or use an explosive item, which a gauss rifle is, you must warn. Also, we haven't flip flopped on anything. You just don't like our rules. Nothing has changed.

The rule is specifically setup to talk about explosive weapons and traps. You have to warn a gauss rifle because it has an explosive element to it. Now, do you have to warn everytime? Not really. You will just be slain if you don't and your T buddy gets hurt. You can play it fast and loose all you want, and I mean I obviously don't think that you should warn if there are clearly no T buddies near you. That being said, if one is nearby what stops you from just saying over t voice or t text "hey, i'm firing a gauss rifle watch out" and then doing it? You act as if every player is inept and incapable of doing that.

Besides, a flexible ruleset is not always better. In this case, what if we leave it up to the moderators to decide if a warning is necessary? Well you wouldn't like the outcome. Some moderators would say you always need to warn and others would be so lax that you'd never have to warn. Imagine being killed by your T buddy with a gauss rifle and then being told by the moderator that "they didn't have to warn." You'd be pretty frustrated to.

I'm a big -1 on this one. I don't see any practical reason to change the rules.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

an explosive is an explosive no matter how small, and you very small explosives will have to warn, make yourselfs heard!

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.