Rejected Remove general rule #2

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by ink, Mar 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ink

ink Genuine Happiness VIP Silver

[​IMG]
    This rule.
    It was made in 2013, and is widely not enforced, and has just been sitting there for quite a long time. In most cases, it just limits people who are having fun because "It's not English" and used almost always used by others to stop memes or something. More or less, this is never enforced and is just misleading for the most part. If I'm new, I would just feel that I do not get to use any language because it's in the rules but this is widely not the case at all. We're an international community and although English is a common language between all of us, there's no point in not allowing others to have a conversation in another language.

You might say "oh but talking in other languages is bad so this rule is just a technicality that's left for the admin to enforce; whatever it's fine". It might be fine to you, but having a rule that's never enforced is just misleading to our new users because they feel that it's an awful thing to communicate in other languages, all the while other users violate it on a regular basis. In addition, this causes confusion among people with threads like this: Karaoke Night because according to the rules it's illegal, but prohibiting this sort of behavior was never ever meant to be the purpose of this rule. Removing this obsolete rule would just ensure that everyone feels the same sentiment towards it and nobody enforces this in the future.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 4
    • Dumb x 3
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Friendly x 1
  2. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

I typically get staff to enforce it, I don't really care if it's kept to threads though. Edit the rule so it's English only in SB and I'm alright with it

Tl;dr make English only in sb only

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. ink

ink Genuine Happiness VIP Silver

Yes, this type of enforcement is exactly what was never the purpose of that rule and why it needs to be removed. It was never made to stop people for having a fun time in SB, but rather a more inclusive experience. However if we are an international community, it's discouraging to bash people in SB from having a small conversation or threaten them with staff. This rule is outdated and does not reflect what it set out to do back in 2013. We have expanded over to EU and we don't need people to believe the community does not welcome them because of their language and occasional chatter with people of similar ethnicity. You might get an admin once in a while to enforce it, but them doing directly contradicts what the rule was meant to do.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Jässa

Jässa Thick thighs save lives VIP

I agree with removing it as a general rule but I do think it should be maintained in "serious" areas of the forum. For example application and suggestion subforums should stay as english only. Otherwise there really isnt much need to the rule besides few players going completely overboard with speaking their own language but thats what we have report system/admins for.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. andrewca79

andrewca79 Malteser Forever VIP Silver

Huge +1 to this. As many Maltese people do, I frequently code switch (Speaking different languages in the same sentence) and due to this rule, I am not allowed to do that. We already allow other languages on our EU servers and since the forums are a combination of people from around the world, it would make more sense to allow other languages to be spoken here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Acnologia

Acnologia modern desperado VIP Silver

This.

7. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

Allowing for banter (and most times non-English is used, it's for jokes or memes and it is nearly never used at length) I see no problem with.

Carte blanche could be annoying for people who don't speak <language>. Having the consensus/rule to generally use English would be better than a rule prohibiting the use of other languages. A conversation taking place in a different language is fine, but it shouldn't be disrupting the general/remaining population. Mutual respect and whatnot.

8. Cash

If the "mindset" of the servers changed, the rules should have changed with them (i.e when EU was introduced) yet nobody really protested it, haven't even really seen many EU people protest it

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. PixeL

PixeL Man märker andras fel och glömmer sina egna Banned VIP Silver

big +1 over here on what Jassa said.
    I'd love to trash talk @Chewie or @Echo in another language :sneakylove:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️

twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️ screwdriver Banned VIP Silver

Bitch please. +1 btw

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Lion

Lion Ryan's Favorite Admin Banned VIP

^^^^^^^^^ All of this +1

12. Grimoire+

Grimoire+ Sigillum diaboli VIP

This is a difficult one because no matter what, if me and someone else are having a discussion in another language it's going to be disruptive regardless as people wont understand and most of the time conversations are interjecting each other

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Cash

discord channels for different languages, ezpz

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I believe this rule exists for a few reasons, though ill keep it short:
    - If staff do not speak that specific language, then its not easy to communicate with players and deal with complications (Translators are shit)
    - For the most part, it is an english community, though relating it to EU, im uncertain on that part (Is it only certain languages, or any language?)
    - It makes things easier for just about everyone (since it is mostly english)
    Also, side note: I see this rule enforced frequently. Usually against Russians and the Spanish

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

Well, in the ideal world ...

In my humble opinion, as a rule of thumb we should stick to English. Small conversations in different languages are not a problem. Encapsulate that rule and I'm on board (y)

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️

twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️ screwdriver Banned VIP Silver

English only rule don't apply to private channels, ezpz

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Osmium

Osmium Virtue VIP Silver

We should keep this rule as majority of our player-base is English speaking.

Getting rid of English rule will only make matters more confusing to our audiences and other communities as well. We will start seeing what ever languages that people
    would want to see in forums, ShoutBox and profile messages. We could have five different language in one thread which can be annoying. I can see memers exploiting this idea too much.
    I believe Highwon wanted people to understand and have communication with each other. We all respect other's ability for speaking a different languages. They can speaking in french,
    dutch or maltese in private messages or talk in discord or in steam mostly. Rule doesn't apply outside the forums. As a SGM community whole, it is best for people to communicate rather
    than playing the guessing game and taking an extra step just to translate and hopefully the translation did it job right. If you really want to talk to your friends in different language then
    you can do it outside.We shouldn't change the rule to fit our needs before the community.

However I'm in for one thing. We could have an exclusive forum dedicated to a another majority language users but the problem is that we need to find people in that language to monitor
    as well. Probably won't sit well as our current situation. Maybe in the future.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. this rule needs to stay. its not as if ppl speaking other languages are punished but there needs to be a rule in place so it doesnt sppear staff are making rules as their own to help solve situations

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. UncleBee

UncleBee VIP

omae wa mou shindeiru

20. Dani

Dani Impersonating Staff Banned VIP

It's the opposite for me. It is allowed to speak languages other than English on the EU servers, although I don't see why. Everyone speaks English and it's just rude to speak in a different language on public voice chat. It's like making random noises for 10 minutes. I get it if it's a sentence or two, but entire conversations would be allowed when they really shouldn't be. Thankfully, it hasn't really been a problem and people like that also get shit on by the rest of the server, so it's good that at least the players are enforcing that.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.