Poll: What Would get you to Return/Stay

Discussion in 'Archived Minecraft Discussion' started by Juice Juice™, Mar 10, 2017.

?

What would get you to come back? (Pick Three)

1. Factions (In some form)

53.3%
  2. Extended Endgame (Implies Mods/Something like my Castle Wars suggestion)

53.3%
  3. A Lot more Minigames

20.0%
  4. Unrestricted Access to Creative

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fixed Economy

60.0%
  6. Nothing, I probably won't be coming back

13.3%
  7. Fix Bugs/Extend the Halls in the Market

33.3%
  8. Nothing, I'm away for other reasons

20.0%
  9. A server Reset

6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

We have a dying server here, and I don't think that the staff/devs have a proper idea of what will bring it back. I don't mean to be rude or offensive here, but if you look at the discussions that happened with Factions or Nethertop access, I think you can see what I mean.

I understand that the devs probably have a vision for the server, and that vision might be far from what the server is right now, but the server is failing at this exact moment, and if they prioritize/introduce certain things ahead of others, we can get the numbers back up without compromising anything.

This is a poll/discussions thread for what would personally encourage you to come back immediately, rather than what you want eventually, hopefully to help show what Players see as a priority on the server

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tinbuster00

Tinbuster00 See you on the forums! VIP Silver Emerald

I'm gone for other reasons not related to the server but I'd love a complete server reset. Ideally in my mind this would take place in a month or two after they figure out a way to revamp the server/economy. Due to the advantages that people have already gotten that are no longer available to all anymore, a full reset is nessary imo

The difficulty I'd see in doing this would be the people that bought premium keys and such. But I believe the rewards have been changed to be cosmetics so maybe that isn't an issue.

3. Juice Juice™

I did a little research and there should be ways to reset the server while keeping things such as Inventory, McMMO skills, Cosmetics, or other plugin-based things (However, to my understanding, some of these things are very labor-intensive)

4. Amatsu

Amatsu Emerald

A reset is not the answer, nor will they do it anyways no matter how loudly the minority that wants it yells. I assure you, a lot more people would quit at this point if a reset was done.

5. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

I get what you are trying to do with these minecraft server polls and how to up/maintain the playerbase of the server, but I don't think you understand the nature of online survival games and their relative lifetimes.

Let's take another survival game, Rust, and compare what 'successful Rust server does' to see what I'm exactly talk. Since Rust tends to draw clans of PVPers, they have set server wipes to keep the server from getting too stale and allow the power struggle to be constantly shifting, moving conflict to new hotspots and all that jazz. Since they have wipes, players don't get too invested into their builds but are still allowed to make it as pretty as they want, while more social players could always go meet and greet new clans, a behavior that is risky and often discouraged with its risks.

Let's go back to minecraft. Our server is a creation trying to appease as many play styles as possible: Builders, PvPers, Grinders, Money-Makers Social Butterflies, etc. In doing so, it's blanket 'attract and appeal to all approach' fails to invest into any category too heavily, unlike the Rust server. Eventually, in my eyes, a crowd may have to be chosen to appeal to. But, with any dilemma, there are drawbacks to any solution to try and make it more appealing.

The 'total wipes of the world' to keep the environment competitive is not the answer for our server it seems. It would cost the satisfaction of those who spent time on their builds to lose them all too soon to appease those who want competition and power struggles once again. A slight 'compensation' for those angered by this may be releasing the map file, but I still feel its too heavy of a loss to be compensated with that.

'Wipes of the Economy' may be another option players suggest, each with their own fans and haters. Wiping the economy completely without resetting the world could be seen as an option to even the playing field, but I feel like it would still be flawed and potentially abused if it was announced when the wipe date was so the richest could stay the richest by liquidating assets into diamonds. I don't think either of these are currently viable solutions.

Take it from me, a former staff member of various SMP servers for another community for over 3 years, every server has a lifetime. Each one is created in a unique vision from the devs aiming for a certain audience, and each one is enjoyed for quite some time. But over time, they do get stale and repetitive, to the point where even staff members lose interest and pull the plug. But, a new server always did come to replace the former with a new vision and the players rejoiced. Until then, I would say stop worrying about trying to completely fix the server and just enjoy the devs' current vision.

Take care.

6. Juice Juice™

I'm not entirely sure how to respond to this, as it seems to be a very cynical view of how things go. Yes, it is difficult, but it is possible to make a server that appeals to as many playstyles as possible while retaining interest as a whole. The problem with this server the way it is now is that it tries to do everything without actually expanding on anything, keeping endgame to the same it was in vanilla. I'm not proposing a total wipe of the world just to reset everything for survial reasons, but to fix the economy and other exploitive advantages that people like me gained early on.

The simple truth is, the way the server is now, almost nobody likes. People still play Serious TTT after all these years because the core gameplay is fun and exciting, combined with a great array of addition content and a good staff. I think it's safe to say that, at it's core, Minecraft doesn't have the same fun draw that TTT does, leaving mods and plugins to keep the server alive.

SGMOD TTT has had and is having a wonderful server life. Instead of saying 'Oh, it's going to die anyways, why bother', lets come up with ideas on how to ensure the SMC server becomes as popular as the SGMOD one.

7. Squidd

Squidd VIP

lol

8. Juice Juice™

If we are going to be absolutely honest, the current server is a mess. It needs focus. Early exploits have created a massive gap in power, an effort to appease everyone has made every aspect of the game feel like less, and a lack of communication with what is going on, combined with a completely dead 'update' feed, has started to leave many thinking there aren't going to be changes. Again, I'm sorry for how rude/harsh this sound, but there isn't really a nice way to say it. If we might get some direct feedback once more, @irritatingness and @Deathbyrussian? Just on what can/will happen?

9. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

I wouldn't call it cynical, I'd call it truthful. Wipes/New Servers both give the devs the perfect opportunity to try out a new vision and refine it, along with instilling a sense of freshness and excitement to the playerbase. Since I don't think they plan to hit the reset button anytime soon, the next closest thing to capture these would be an event, that could feature anything from a 'event world' with a whole new concept they might want to try after wipe or simple new cosmetic additions and rule changes.

Since Minecraft is an ever evolving game that is still being worked on by both mojang and its players, there will always be new things to try, new concepts to chase, and new audiences to appeal to. Each server is a chance to try these new concepts and to improve the vision. Just enjoy this version of it while it lasts.

10. Juice Juice™

I think this is more reflective on the idea people have on the server than the potential the server has itself, which is again something I'm trying to help get fixed with these threads and polls. We need to get a more open mind on the server, wtih a willingness to completely change it, even if it means the devs might not get the chance to do what they wanted coming in. It's unfair, since they are the ones doing all the work, but it's the only way we are going to get a MC server as good as the TTT one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.