New Rule on AFKS using scripts/console command

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by Juice Juice™, Oct 17, 2016.

?

Does this seem like a good rule?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Yes, if altered

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

I get the first reaction is leniency, but think about no-lifers like me that might be stuck with a server, the only server with people with it, or the only server that you have a good enough internet connection to play on, and that guy is there for the 5 hours you are also there, with no mods on to kick them, then repeat that several days over. (Though if you can send a clip of them doing it, that would be nice to show what I mean)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jigat

Jigat "Computer over"?! "Virus = Very yes"?!? VIP

Yeah, I know it's hard to get evidence on people like that. I took a lot of video and only about 10 seconds of it was him spinning. but I guess we can always log offenses away here in the forums with some tag like DonutAFK or something so we can keep track of who does it and how much. but still, being quick to judge (even in this situation) is probably unwise.
    I'm fairly certain I got a clip of the offender. I'll dig tomorrow and find it if it's there.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Juice Juice™

But people like this, it's very easy to get evidence on. The problem is that you are stuck with them for hours at a time, only to be dealt with when a mod comes on, and then they can do it multiple times, for a collective hundreds of hours .

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jigat

Jigat "Computer over"?! "Virus = Very yes"?!? VIP

I do not have it... I'll get it next time...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Juice Juice™

Oh well!

I mean, shame on you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dunkel

Dunkel Member

LUA can be used to discern whether or not a player is actually holding a key down or if they ran a command. Using this you can make an afk kicker that kicks scripters.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

Hey, if this actually works and we can implement this and doesn't accidentally boot innocent people (what do I know as a commoner) I'll take this any day over making a specific rule that's essentially a thing already as said by @Graze about delayers.

GJ

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Juice Juice™

If it works properly, that would probably be the best way to handle them

9. Zypther

Zypther #SuitUp VIP Bronze Iron

at the first notice of this, it should be a message asking if they are afk, a warn again, then a kick. not stacking. just ends in a kick, frees up other servers.

10. Juice Juice™

That still does nothing, and it doesn't address repeat offenders, because the problem is they do it for literally hundreds of hours with no mods online to get rid of them.

11. Zypther

case and point of admin discretion

12. Juice Juice™

Except as it currently stands, that admin discretion is going to be varied and leave them plenty of room to do it again. This is as painful to play with as people who are constantly RDMing others, and results in even more lost gametime. AFking like this does nothing positive for the server, only direct harm.

13. Juice Juice™

It's not as common a problem as mass RDM, but it can potentially do worse harm to the server than any amounts of random killing

14. Zypther

yes and no, if i am going afk for like 5 minutes, (small dinner, bathroom break, small simple stuff,) I might have the command going so i dont get kicked on the near full server. there too many harmless situations of it all to ban it outright. again, the warn twice, then kick is much better, as it doesnt put them in another server as well.

15. Juice Juice™

I didn't think of people who might use it like that. In that case, perhaps only for people who can be proven to have done it for a map or longer. It is terrible when someone is doing it for literally dozens of maps, with no mod to stop them, and they do it day after day.

16. Togo ✿

Togo ✿ Nobody Gets it VIP Silver

Not worth a ban

17. Juice Juice™

So delaying rounds for totals reaching hundreds of hours isnt worth a ban?

18. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

This is not ban-worthy
    If they're AFK then the mod can spectate them. They're not breaking any rules by bypassing the AFK check
    The only time this would be considered delay is if there is only 1 T left, and that T happens to be the AFK who is running around at spawn. If it's clear they are AFK and simply using a script, kill them, they're AFK
    And the odds of that T being the last one alive without dying to other T's strats, RDM, crossfire, GBA, etc. is extremely low
    Annoying, sure, but it's not worth adding a new rule and punishment.

19. Juice Juice™

Except that within the past two weeks I have personally had to deal with two separate people doing this who, again, Didn't get a mod to spec them, for nearly 5 hours a day (I left and came back to find them still doing it), and it does delay the rounds by a significant amount of time when they are doing it every single round. Except for the very temporary situations that Zyp mentioned, there is no benefit to letting them do this, and it sure as hell pisses a lot of people off, and makes a lot of people not want to play on servers that allow it.

20. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Yes. I have been in this position. The only course of action is to, and I fear to say this, deal with it.
    I feel like it should be taught to mods to deal with obvious AFKs using +left +forward in console and to either kick them or fspec if they are delaying
    But other than that, I don't see anything coming out of this