Making this cause fuck life

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Elvis, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

Thanks dude!

I understand that I can put a couple games on the SSD here and there. How big of a speed boost would you say id get with doing that? I know I wouldnt use more than 2-5 GB worth of applications, on top of windows 7.

Also, if I decide not to put my games on the SSD, what other benefits are there, if I am only using it for the small applications, while having a super large size?

EDIT: I do have one question.... HOW THE FUCK DO YOU HAVE A THOUSAND DOLLARS WORTH OF SSD'S JUST CHILLIN???

2. Zikeji

Zikeji Repoleved VIP Emerald

Well you put aside ~20GB for the OS, leaving you with quite a bit space left over. Then you get the paging file which varies in size - this is where your OS puts dormant applications to save RAM space for active applications. There is a benefit here, if a application has been put in paging and has to be pulled back into memory, this process is much quicker on an SSD than an HDD.

So lets say the OS level stuff will take up 30GB of space on your system. With a 275GB SSD (which is more like 250GB because of terminology) you're left with 220GB of space (going off that 250 number, obv). More than enough for a ton of games and applications. I would honestly recommend having a Steam Library on your SSD and a Steam Library on your HDD (Steam lets you move games between SSD and HDD and install games to either "library" you setup).

Speed boost will depend on the game itself though. If it's a large game with alot of textures you will see a boost, in fact even with a game like Garry's Mod you'll notice loading on map changes or initial load to be maybe 2 or 3 times faster than they are on an HDD. I'll use Skyrim as an example, the "loading" screen can take a good bit of time on an HDD, be it on a console or a PC, but on an SSD that loading screen is 3-4 times shorter than on a HDD. Applications will open faster, the machine will boot up faster, applications will typically behavior better (because of the paging file), etc.

Sorry I realize the above block of text is kinda just a garbled smorgasbord but I don't want to fix it. In general I would recommend using the HDD to store games you aren't playing (like if you download Skyrim and are done with it, but might want to play it later), store media (if you want to record gameplay, you would save o the HDD), and other, similar content like photos, documents, etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Elvis

That sounds awesome! Now I wont be the last to load into a map everytime! xD

I do appreciate your help with this! (y)

4. Zikeji

No problem. You're getting yourself into quite the ordeal building a PC, so make sure you do ample research before starting to put it together if you haven't already. There are a bunch of good youtube videos on the topic. You don't want to break a part because you overlooked something.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions during the build process.

5. Elvis

Oh, the actual putting the parts together wont be a problem. Ive done plenty of that. Ive just never had the opportunity to purchase a high-end PC until now, so I just had to learn about certain things. I appreciate the offer tho man!

6. Zikeji

They were part of a 72-core / 144 logical cores, 432GB RAM, computing cluster I was working on but had to put on hold when I lost my job.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Elvis

72-core / 144 logical cores......... *Eye starts twitching*

3.3 TB of SSD's........ *Maniac smile starts to form*

432 GB of RAM........... *Maniacally starts laughing as im being driven away in a van while strapped in a straight jacket*

I sure hope everything went well with the whole losing the job thingy mabobber... BUT DAMN DUDE LIKE DAFUQ??

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Zikeji

Just couldn't afford the expense of running it at a datacenter with one less job :p.

Now to be fair there was also 12 2TB drives in it. But these were nodes in a 4U chassis. 6 nodes, 72GB/24 logical cores each + 2x275 + 2x2TB. With 6 total nodes in the cluster. So it's not like it's 1 machine with 1 OS that has all the data xD

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Elvis

Uh sahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dude

I'm wanting to get a logitech G series keyboard to go along with my build. Any recommendations? Nothing too expensive, but something that won't break in 6months.

10. ZeRo

ZeRo :sneaky: Banned VIP Silver

Most Logitech gaming series keyboards aren't the most affordable at the moment. What is your price range?

Also found this Corsair mech keyboard for roughly $70

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DOWCQ0I/

11. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

Is 70$ affordable for a "gaming" keyboard?
    Damn

12. Elvis

@Guilty I'm wanting to go with logitech since it'll go with my g600 and g430

I'm not wanting to go above 100 and the further you can get from that the best.

• Like Like x 1