Rejected Making staff applications public

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Zombina, Aug 25, 2016.

?

Should staff applications be made public for all to see?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2016.
  1. Damn straight!

13.0%
  2. Aw hell naw!

87.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zombina

Zombina VIP

I asked a mod who asked an admin why staff applications are private, and they didn't have an answer. I think it's important for the community at large to know who's being considered for staff, since they'll have power over them if accepted, and to give their feedback. However I don't think it's a good idea to allow people outside of staff to post on these apps, but maybe the player base would be allowed to rate applications to show their approval or disapproval. Sometimes people act differently when there aren't staff around, and I think it's important for the community to get at least a little say in who might be getting powers.

Edit: I've read and understood many of your replies now. I can understand why we don't get access to applications. I didn't understand before what goes on in staff apps for this community. I can accept that we shouldn't discuss staff applicants publicly, but could we at least know who applied, period? That way if we know some troubling behavior about a player we can relay that information directly to admins themselves, to do with whatever they see fit. How would you feel about this?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    • Disagree x 4
    • Dumb x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. nikki

nikki Dutch female gamer: cocky, rude/toxic. VIP Bronze

yes please the application section is a comedy goldmine and it's unfair that staff doesnt share the laughs with us

+1

• Funny x 7
    • Agree x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  3. Husky

Husky Euthanasia VIP Silver

Why should you care about other people's business?

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Zombina

Zombina VIP

... Other people's business? Whoever is selected for staff has an impact on the player base they supervise. Are you kidding?

5. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

I think my WOS would double if I was intruding on what should always be considered very private information.

As a former Co-owner of a clan who always went over many many applications for STAFF or MEMBERSHIP (it was a clan if you didnt read that before) I can say it would immediately turn more people away than not if these applications were made public. It'd turn people off if they know they'll be publicly denied, humiliate them if let's say an inexperienced kid who is trying to get his foot in the door makes a very informal application gets seen publicly, or allow people to shitpost and publicly announce it as to use the forum incorrectly as well as garner the attention they want.

Asking for such a suggestion almost hints that the current situation with the staff members we have is so destroyed that we cannot trust who we have now because we don't know their credentials so instead of trusting the powers that be we need full transparency? EVEN THEN when we know what we want, if there's not enough meat in the application does that merit riots or movements to get rid of mods from power?

I see absolutely no use for this and I would think before you act next time, it will cause severe amounts of harm compared to the little good you wish for it to have.

Not a chance. -1

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Emily❤

Emily❤ The strongest light is the one within VIP Silver Emerald

Think before you ask, apps are private and think about people that gets denied. I think most wouldn't like that to be public and I don't see a reason for apps to be public when normal users does not have anything to do with that. Pluss it would most likely end in people accusing others of favoritism and things like that. And to be allowed to rate apps? You haven't been on the internet very long if you think people acts nice online. I'm sorry to say it but we got trolls and people that might have negative opinions about others for personal reasons. We do not need more drama. -1

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Acnologia

Acnologia modern desperado VIP Silver

A lot of mod apps contain some private info unique to the player that has applied. Also, this can lead to plagarism of other mod apps. A lot of the people on here are trolls and may rate the apps dumb for no reason. False hope is also a factor. Like the people above me , Its a -1 from me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

Its not up to the community to decide who gets chosen as staff and who doesnt, its the admins that look into the applicants. It is 100% none of anyone elses business in the community (with the exception of staff) when someone applies for staff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  9. Ragman

Ragman hool-moh-goh-bow-bigga-bogga-walnum-bodgish-misjoo Banned VIP+

Agreed. -1

They are private for a reason. This is to protect the privacy of those currently in the application process and so an environment can be created for them to be given constructive feedback and criticism. Making them public would eliminate that and potentially discourage applicants from fear of public ridicule etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Zombina

Zombina VIP

I can understand your points, but hurt feelings is an excuse? Really? People get a lot of hurt feelings as a mod, they get yelled at and insulted on a regular basis, and that's a tell tale sign that they're just not ready for that kind of work. If you can't stand a community's opinion of you and you try to wield power over them, that doesn't end well either. I also said maybe rate, I can understand your points as to why it wouldn't necessarily be fair. However, exposing private information I understand fully.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  11. Emily❤

If you apply you are offering your help to the servers. I'm sure anyone that does that would love 30 dumb or disagree ratings on that(not really)

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

If it can be prevented, it should be prevented. Being privately taken care of is prevention.

Yea, they signed up for such a job. They knew what was coming towards them. If it so happens that they can't handle it, they'll get out of the position. The thing is, an admin SEES potential, once given the opportunity, the mod must show they have that potential, fortitude, and willing to fight thru the toxicity to provide entertainment to the rest of the server. Sometimes, a mod may not show all the attributes the admin thought he saw, and whatever happens will happen.

So yea, that's what I thought about this thread.

Also

Best point. The majority of the community is not one of reason or logic regardless of them playing on a server based around that. The majority of the active forum community also cannot speak for the rest of the community that doesn't partake on the forums. In the end, those who are directly involved with the work should have the final say in applications.

• Winner Winner x 3
  13. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

I mean, it sounds like a good idea until you actually see what goes on in applications. I was a mod for some time, and I have seen what applications hold and how it would create a HUGE problem if the information in those got out to just any random user that joined the forums. Personal information, player's pasts, admin stats...The information is very serious and NEEDS to be private.

It's not a matter of hurt feelings.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Ragman

Ragman hool-moh-goh-bow-bigga-bogga-walnum-bodgish-misjoo Banned VIP+

Yeah, sometimes a lot of private information can come up. People who have been involved in huge dramas etc, some personal/work/family problems are bought up as it may affect staffing etc. It's just too private to make public.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Han

Han       VIP

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Machinekiller00

Machinekiller00 I <3 Gunter VIP Silver

At some point in time these servers had public applications. I wasn't exactly around when this was a thing but I can for sure tell you a few reasons as to why we don't have and shouldn't have the application section visible to the community.

Firstly there are people who would just troll the application section. They would go on there and just make dumb comments that give no insight or any feedback on the applicant themselves. Or people who dislike the applicant would just go on there and say things like " this person doesn't deserve staff" or " I don't like this person so -1". That kind of stuff does not help the applicant at all and can discourage them from wanting to apply. We do not want this and the comments we leave on applications usually give feedback on what the person can do or shouldn't do. I've looked back at some of the old public applications and they all just look messy and just full of comments that aren't needed.

Secondly, there is a lot of private information that are on these applications. Things that go behind the scenes that not every player needs to know. What if you made an app and you did something bad that could lead to your denial. Would you want the entire community to know about it? You sure wouldn't. Also this could lead to drama from the applicants friends who believe that they shouldn't be punished for something bad they did. Then we would have to go back and forth with the players and that's just another thing that we don't need. We respect the privacy of each applicant and whatever is said on their app stays there. There is no need for it to be said in public.

Last, but not least the users shouldn't really pick who they want as staff. Staff isn't about who is the most popular person is, who has the most hours, the least amount of slays. There are a lot of things that go into consideration when it comes to choosing staff. How long have they been here? Do they have a friendly face? What does their history look like? Are they associated with any trolls who can possibly influence them? Are they active? How long will they stay as a mod? and etc. There so many things that we look at when picking up staff members. Those who are staff members know what we look for in moderators so they give a lot of feedback on players that we should or shouldn't pick. While some users may have knowledge on the rules they may not know what makes a staff member and I've seen this happen a lot. We don't need this so keeping it to staff only is a better option.

So I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. -1

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Mason

Mason Banned VIP Silver

You've never been staff and you wouldn't know all the factors of what makes a good staff member.

There are too many people that should not have any input into the application section and staff shouldn't have to go through and decide who's capable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Zombina

Zombina VIP

There are lots of regulars in server who do complain about mods. They don't do anything particularly wrong, they just aren't good staff in their eyes. I'm not one of these people, but I do see their concerns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Zombina

Zombina VIP

Lol, what? You don't know me, I have been staff before. On DMG servers I was a moderator for months until I was promoted to admin. I do know what makes a good admin, but you're right, the player base at large doesn't.

20. Emily❤

Just because they have complains about mods, does not mean the mods are bad. Many get salty over punishments and blame the mods because of their lack of self-reflection. Pluss once someone is mod that app thing is a bit late tbh(Still -1 btw)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.