Make RDM's Expire after two-three maps (in relation to the RDM X1 X2 X3 punishments)

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by Juice Juice™, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

It's just such a wildly varying thing that punishes people who play for long periods at once. I myself would probably have twice the bans I do now (and all I have is Karma bans) if I had certain mods who decide that four, five, or in one particular case, seven maps isn't enough time to have passed for the RDMs you do not to stack. RDM is almost part of the game, with how many snap-decisions you make, and unless you have perfect judgment, you will RDM every so often, especially if you play aggressively like I do.

Edit: If even one person can come up with a good explanation why someone should be banned for 3 cases of RDM stretching out over the span of 4 or more maps (or 15+ rounds), assuming nothing else about the situation, I will give you a cookie.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

I think 3 maps is a good standard. 18 rounds at most, 13 rounds at least. That was my old standard but it varied on the current state of the server. If the server has a lot of reports then a player could get away with 2 maps between rdms simply because they weren't causing enough trouble for me to remember they'd been slain

• Like Like x 1
  3. Good Noodle

Good Noodle VIP Silver

I play aggressively aswell and I often get karma bans for Innocent RDM trains, accidental RDM, etc and hate it when I get second offense slays for things I did ages ago.

4. Zikeji

Zikeji Repoleved VIP Emerald

The problem with setting a firm guideline as to when they expire is malicious players, who will intentionally skirt around it and use it as an excuse. Granted, on the long run they'll get a malicious gameplay / toxicity punishment - but this leaves mods helpless and opens the floor to more trolling. It also gives more work for mods, who would have to keep track of how many rounds passed - which isn't really feasible unless it was added in-game in some sort of system.

If anything a time constraint vs a round constraint would work better. Like 3 hours, but second / third offense resets the timer. All in all in my opinion there should be some guidelines as to compounding offense expiry, but not public.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. The Law

The Law You fought the law and the law won. VIP Silver Emerald

Stacking RDMs past the 3rd map does seem needlessly punitive... and going as far as 7? that sounds more like a vindictive punishment than anything else.
    ps. I do tend to play very aggressive at times aswell, but I am rarely ever slain; so maybe you're just doing it wrong :p

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Noctorious

Actual conversion between me and The Law:
    Me: Was he slain before?
    The Law: I don't see it in console
    Me: I could look through my screenshots
    The Law: If it's not in console I just slay them for first offense

It may be paraphrasing since it was years ago when we were both staff

• Like Like x 1
  7. Noctorious

I would think it would be harder to keep track of how much time has past than how many maps have changed

8. The Law

The Law You fought the law and the law won. VIP Silver Emerald

I certainly had my flaws in my time as a staff member. In the later time of my staffing career I tended to stack based on memory, which was usually no more than 2-4 maps in length.

9. Juice Juice™

I was thinking that 3 maps would be the Limit. Like, if staff forget they forget, and if they choose to do less than 3 maps, it's their discretion like it is now. But, right now, anything past that is sort of ridiculous. I usually get slain every other map, either because @Agent A just logged on and I had to kill him, or because I made a bad judgment call.

10. Juice Juice™

Also, are we going to say that it's worth bringing down the experience of everyone who plays casually, just because the occasional, extremely rare and malicious player will be so careful about their maliciousness, they are willing to RDM once per map? How many people do you think have the patience to do that, and how impactful on the players would it actually be? You could have literally every single person on the server RDM once per map, and it would only result in mild annoyance. Not to mention, people who ARE this meticulous would probably be caught, and if they weren't, I doubt you could tell the difference between them and a normal player.

Edit: @MangoTango Could you please explain why you disagree? We don't really have any clear reason this is a bad idea...

11. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

Zikeji brought up several of my concerns with his post, so I won't bother to restate them.

The reason why this is 'wildly varying' because there a lot of variables in play, such as rounds constantly taking forever/flying by, maps being rtved instantly, etc etc. The reason the way it is so it can accommodate every wildly varying situation with fairness to all parties.

Also

I'd argue that targetted rdm is malicious and should be punished accordingly to the protocol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Juice Juice™

Oh, I missed Zikej's post. That being said, targetted RDM is malicious, but it falls under both RDM and the harassment/related protocols. I'm just saying, generally speaking, mass RDMrs aren't going to be waiting for several maps between their RDMs. If rounds take forever, that is almost especially a reason to make the limit 3 maps, and if they are flying by, they still have plenty of opportunities to RDM, but they are playing the game normally.

So, I guess, what specific scenario would punishing a person for their second or third case of RDM be warranted after 3 maps? Or 15 or so rounds, to account for RTV?

13. Juice Juice™

Can someone give me just one specific scenario in which someone should be banned for their third separate offense of RDM within four or more maps?

14. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

Nummy

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  15. Juice Juice™

Er, please elaborate?

Edit: So, I can take from this, is that there isn't any theoretical situation you can think of to justify it, but you are opposed to changing it anyway.

16. Juice Juice™

-Even though this is true, how many people are going to be willing to wait that long just to kill one in RDM per map, and how much impact will that actually have? And if they are really that malicious, what is stopping moderators or admins from banning them for that maliciousness? It was even said in the statement: If they are doing it that maliciously, they will be caught. But how are mods helpless to trolling? What makes RDM once or less per map so trolly? There is nothing.

-This makes even less sense to me. How is anyone being banned for their third case of RDM if there isn't some form of tracking, be it on the moderators side or otherwise? Why is making sure they actually did something that really warrants a ban a bad thing?

-I'd sort of be alright with this, but by making the timer reset, a person could start playing at 1:00 PM and be banned at 9:50 PM for ONLY three cases of RDM during that entire period. A decay makes much more sense, where every three hours one offense is removed, but even that is a ridiculous amount of time that discourages continued play

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  17. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

Can you bring up how many instances you witness a player get banned for RDM that occurred over more than 4 maps?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  18. Solar

Solar El Dorado VIP

I don't think a staff member could staff for 8 hours and 50 minutes straight.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  19. Theinkern

Theinkern Inkern VIP Bronze

Is that a challenge I hear?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Juice Juice™

Happened recently, four other times that I know of, once being for 7 maps. And if I know of four times, I am sure there are so many more. But yes, lets continue to say this is a bad idea, without ever being even capable of giving even a theoretical scenario as to why. @wink, @Hingle

Edit: So, I'll take that as a no? You can't? So why should we allow mods such discretion, in cases where it can be and has been abused?
    Further Edit: I'm pretty sure there was a report on the 7-map one, but I don't remember it well enough to search through

• Dumb Dumb x 4