Make AFK avoidance against the rules

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by Noctorious, Jun 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

SUGGESTION
    The suggestion is to make it punishable to avoid the auto-spectator using console commands like +right

REASONS
    The reason I am suggesting this change is that even if done on an empty or near-empty server, if that server starts to get populated players will have to wait for a mod to come on to force-spec them or hope they aren't a T and have to wait till overtime. Or people get bored and start RDMing and then we get forum reports.

COUNTER
    Sure maybe someone doesn't want to get moved to another server due to ping issues. BUT if you aren't going to be playing for hour+ the ping doesn't even matter, and you can just move servers again when you return.

If there isn't a rule against avoiding the auto-AFK system, why even have the system in the first place? The fact that the system exists means that in general AFKs aren't wanted in the round.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  2. Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911

Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911 Now you just somebody that I used to know VIP Silver

I mean.... Yeah +1 it used to be against the rules. But someone decided hahahaha funny afk unable kill overtime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bonk2

Bonk2 Banned

I agree with what has been said, +1

I have a question, say the Vanilla server is not full, why are AFK spectators moved to different servers? I can see that as a reason for AFK avoidance.

4. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

It's always baffled me why 1. People would do this
    and 2. Why it's allowed.
    It serves no benefit to anyone. We, the players, just have to play our rounds with someone we can only kill in overtime unless we want to risk an RDM report, and it also has a potential to immediately take a T or D slot and the entire game is impacted even more severely. The person being AFK isn't getting any more or less points as far as I'm aware, and even if they are, who the fuck cares? They aren't playing, let them get the spectator amount of points.

It's a small detriment, but it's a detriment to anyone playing with a person avoiding autospectate. We HAVE autospectate to begin with for a very good reason.

+1

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dodley27

Dodley27 Dolfin VIP Bronze

It's called delaying

6. Jabba the Slut

Jabba the Slut That's Kinky! Lead Admin VIP Silver

I still fspec people doing this.

7. 8BitF0x

8BitF0x a pixelated fox that loves rdm VIP

8. Bonk2

Bonk2 Banned

@Jabba the Slut His point is more centered around when there is no staff on the server.

9. Dodley27

10. Juice Juice™

Which tends to take several rounds and doesn't help when staff don't notice/aren't online.
    Like, it's great you do that, but that doesn't change that everyone who ISN'T staff regularly spends collectively dozens of minutes just waiting for an anti-AFK script user to die.
    Legit, this is a problem you, as staff, would not understand in the slightest, because you are the only person who can change it.

It doesn't seem like a problem to you because of your ability to fix it, but for everyone else: It is a problem, and there is no positive benefit for the server allowing it.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Highwon

Highwon Owner VIP Silver

The AFK-Move system is only activated if there are more than 30 players on the server so it shouldn't move spectators when server isn't full.

12. Jabba the Slut

I'm not some blind fool who knows nothing outside the realm of staffing. I was a player for years before being staff.

My point, is that we consider them AFK even with the script. Meaning you, the players, can kill them for being AFK (in overtime.)

It is equivalent to being AFK, and we have no rules against being AFK.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  13. Bonk2

Bonk2 Banned

That is odd, I have been moved multiple times from vanilla when the server is not above 30 players. Maybe it is staff.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Juice Juice™

Name one positive benefit for the server for people being able to subvert the auto-spectate function.
    You should remember how irritating it is to deal with players who, round after round, are persistently AFK. It delays rounds and takes up the traitor and detective slots that are core to gameplay.

The round-delaying aspect alone should be enough to ban it.

Why the hell do you want this around?

Edit: This is the last thing to be called a 'Big deal' but there is literally no good reason to allow this. It's purely a negative for every single person who does not use the AFK script, even if that negative is tiny.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  15. Jabba the Slut

I don't "want this around", there simply isn't anything to do about it. Players avoid getting put into spectator with no complicated script keeping them moving. It is the exact reason why we let you kill them in overtime.

16. Dodley27

Jabba: *makes a valid argument*

Tomcat, A mature adult:
    Screenshot_20200621-003006.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Juice Juice™

Just add a rule of 'No avoiding Auto-spec' and give it a mild punishment. It's not that complicated.
    Killing players in overtime also results in players losing karma for no reason, which is another negative.

18. Juice Juice™

The dude is acting like this is equivalent to normal afking, and then treating it like it's some insurmountable problem.
    It's an active effort on part of a player that serves to detract from the experience of everyone else involved.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  19. Jabba the Slut

So your idea to a problem that only exists when no staff are online, is to make a rule that is only enforceable when staff are online?

This is what I'm thinking, some dude is AFK for two minutes. No staff are on. I guess you report him on the forums for delaying? And we...warn him maybe? On the off chance we see them online later or if they have a forums.

Seems fundamentally inefficient.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Juice Juice™

90% of the people who I see using an anti force-spec script are regulars.
    Make it a rule, they'll stop.
    Besides, if staff are on as often as you say they are in other threads, a forum report wouldn't even be necessary- They'd just be caught when staff gets on. Give a kick, give reasoning as 'Auto-spectate', and the message will have been heard. If they keep going, maybe give 'em an hour ban. Just something to get the message across.

The point of rules isn't so people are constantly punished over them, it's to deter people from giving others a bad experience while playing.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.