Is water really wet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Beta_Ray_Billl, Feb 1, 2018.

?

Is water wet?

1. Yes.

18 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. No.

24 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. Why is this a thing?

20 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. dude85632

dude85632 VIP

Water requires six or more molecules to behave the way it does in every day life.

2. dude85632

dude85632 VIP

"New scientific information suggests that water doesn't behave as a liquid until after there are more than six molecules. For everyday purposes, there is much more than that, so until the exact relationship of the water to itself and to other substances can be proven by scientific means, then either answer to the question, why is water wet, whether it is or is not, is entirely philosophical and as long as there is evidence to support either theory, or rather no evidence to disprove either of them, then either answer is correct based on your own individual opinion and evaluation of the evidence that is at this time present in the scientific community. So, by the definition of wet, which is the condition of being covered or soaked in liquid, then water isn't wet, it just makes other things wet." Wetness is a property of things that have come into contact with a liquid. Since a single molecule of water, or even two for that matter, can not wet anything, it is not wet. It just makes other things wet.

3. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

Yeah- I saw that yesterday. I haven’t been able to find anything about it other than the copy/paste you gave from an answer to this same question. Did you have any better luck finding the peer reviewed article?

4. dude85632

dude85632 VIP

Yeah that's why I put it in quotes and then added my own take on it. I'm researching the six molecules of water thingy that the quote mentioned. I'll let you know when I find it. Until then, I don't think water is wet because it makes other things wet. It's not like fire-spreading, it leaves an impact on things that come into contact with itself. I haven't had time to fully read through all of your responses as I'm in class, so apologize if what I said has been said before.

5. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

Yeah, I have already addressed all of that. Give it a read. Let me know if you find it- that does put a hamper on my argument a bit if so but I didn’t have any luck myself yesterday.

6. Emily❤

Emily❤ The strongest light is the one within VIP Silver Emerald

Why exactly is there 4 pages of people discussing water :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  7. Niclas

Niclas hióa

because people can't believe the mind-blowing fact that water is not wet.
    or is it?
    [​IMG]

8. dude85632

dude85632 VIP

9. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

I do think you're on to it. I'll do some more reading but what this seems to be answering is the rigidity of the hydrogen bond networks that give water it's "fluid" nature and to consider it a liquid. When there's 5 or molecules in instance, you're going to get a substance that behaves a little more more like a solid as it's not very flexible, but still has the properties that make it 'wet'. But with all do respects, it looks like it isn't addressing the properties of water that makes it 'wet'.

10. dude85632

dude85632 VIP

I've found various answers. Some claim certain definitions of 'wet' confirm water to be wet. Others say that water does not wet other liquids or hydrophobic solids, therefore water by itself is not wet until the surface tension has broken. I've pretty much concluded that definitions of what wet is along with properties of water and other liquids makes this question almost unanswerable. It all depends on how 'wet' is defined, it seems.
    https://www.quora.com/Is-water-wet-1
    https://www.quora.com/Where-is-the-proof-that-water-is-wet
    I've not found anything else about water requiring six molecules to behave as a liquid, though. I'm not too sure where that guy got his information, now.

11. Timo654

Timo654 EU BEST VIP Silver

water isnt real

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. dude85632

dude85632 VIP

"Wetness isn't a property of a liquid, it is a property of an interface. Thus, water alone cannot be wet. However water has a propensity to wet things. It generally has liquid-liquid interactions that are weaker than a lot of solid-liquid interactions which allow it to wet a lot of surfaces. However, there are several surfaces that won't be wetted by water." In short, water wets certain surfaces and is not wet itself.

13. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

With your definition and logic, you can take any molecule of anything and say it is wet, because the molecule is consisting of, containing, covered with, or soaked with itself

Water is not wet or dry. It is something that has the property to make things wet, and when removed from that thing, makes it dry
    If something is wet, it implies that it can be dried. Water cannot be dried, so in turn it is not wet

lol u dumb

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  14. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

heterogeneous mixture
    Nope. Not my definition, the Webster definition. If you bothered to look it up/read the one I linked there you would understand that at the end of the sentence they said "covered with, containing......with LIQUID (such as WATER) Water is a liquid, which contains water. Dirt is not a liquid, and may or not contain water. Dirt is heterogeneous mixture, but it is not a liquid, and alone, it is not wet. When paired with a liquid (like water!) it is wet.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wet

It can either be wet or dry. It can't be "nothing"

I'd trust this definition because it is more explanatory than google's definition. But there's thousands of definitions to go by.

15. Ted

Ted The knight in white armor! Silver

The oxford dictionary says something can not be "all wet" So there-for water can not be wet.

Definition of all wet in US English:

all wet

PHRASE
    North American
    • Completely wrong.

16. Mr. Disco

[​IMG]
    No. It was talking about when used in a sentenced like that, the phrase "all wet" means "all wrong"

17. Python~

On the molecular level, water doesn't have to be a liquid. It can be a solid or a gas. A single molecule of water, which is what you said was wet, can be frozen, evaporated, or liquified.

You state "What does water consist of? Water. (or two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen, which makes water.)" and "Water is a liquid, which contains water" so you're assuming that all molecules of water are liquid, which isn't the case

18. Mr. Disco

Correct, I am assuming we are talking about the liquid form of water. When water is evaporated, to me it is still water. There's chemistry behind it, and I have yet to fully understand chemistry as I'm not even finished with it. But water is wet. Most people use liquid water as an example. Ice is still wet, it is just frozen in motion. When something is frozen in motion it cannot move, and for water to get something wet, it has to move.

In all honesty, water is wet. Any you're trying to prove a point that is false. If you want to continue this stupid discussion on how I am wrong take it to PMs. If you want backup from your friends go ahead and add them to the conversation too. I said water is wet, you said it isn't. You think I'm stupid, and I think you're stupid.

From this I conclude we have different opinions on a fact, and that's ok.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  19. Python~

If it was a fact we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

[​IMG]
    Water covers itself. However if you are dealing with small quantities, IE 1 h20 molecule, it can't surround itself, so I wouldn't consider it wet?

• Like Like x 1