Help me to understand how to build a PC

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Bruno, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Bruno

Bruno In time all things are possible VIP Bronze

So i'm planing to buy some new parts to upgrade my PC and i have no idea at all what should i know before i buy new graphic card,ram and processor.
    I'm worried if i buy something it won't fit in my pc.
    I know that motherboard decides which parts fits in your pc and i don't even know which one i got,is there any program to view that model and get to know better what graphics and processors can go in it.
    And i know there must be some power supply i don't even know do i have that.
    So can you guys help me to get understand what parts i need to fit my pc and what should i know before i buy something and what are the risks,like i said i don't know anything i'm expecting you guys to help me somehow.
    Don't be too harsh on me i know i probably said some bullshits which doesn't make any sense.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Paradox

Paradox The One Eyed Ghoul Banned Elite

pc part picker, get a full tower case then almost all parts should fit and it should specifiy their dimension and their form factors.

3. MythMe

MythMe VIP

CPU (central processing unit)

This baby runs your computer, it's like the heart. It can't live without a CPU. Now depending on your needs, If you plan on gaming, i'd suggest you get a faster 4 or 6 core CPU from Intel (coffee lake) Old Kaby lake CPUs have 4 cores, but they'll go down in price when coffee lake is coming... If you're going to do a lot of multitasking, such as rendering images or editing movies you should get a CPU with more cores such as the new AMD Ryzen CPUs which have 8 cores. In high core CPUs you lose some performance in gaming, due to not many games supporting so many cores nor the games aren't able to use those extra cores.

CPU cooler

So this is the thing that will help you keep your CPU cool. If you're not planing on overclocking, or any heavy duty tasks, you should be fine with air cooler. If you wan't to overclock, or run games at 4k, the CPU can get a little hot. That's the point you might want to consider a liquid cooler. Liquid coolers are more expensive but keep the CPU cooler.

Mobo (motherboard)

This is the thing that helps your CPU communicate with other parts of your PC. Now if you're not planing on some triple gtx 1080 ti, you won't be needing those extra fancy 300€ motherboards. They're usually around 150€ for a decent motherboard. Your motherboard needs to support your CPU. You can't just go and add any cpu you want on a motherboard.

Memory (ram)

So in my experience, don't get any more than 16gb of ram. You really don't need it. Even 8gb is probably enough for you. 2400MHz is all you need. 3000MHz is like little to no more expensive, but your CPU really doesn't need that much. Altough Ryzen CPUs tend to like faster ram.

Storage

Now i suggest you get that 1tb western digital blue for long time storage. It's cheap and good. Then with that, get some good and fast ssd to run your games on. If you plan on buying that ssd, buy atleast the 500gb versions, Those 250gb versions tend to fill up fast. 99% of all pc cases have room for these, so don't worry.

GPU (video card)

This baby is the thing that makes your games look nice, and makes up everything you see on your screen. Depending on your uses, you should be fine with an gtx1070 or gtx 1060. They'll do just fine with games. If you wan't to go 4k, You should be looking at the gtx 1080 TI. Your pc also needs to have enough PCI-e lanes, which they will have.

PSU (power supply)

This makes your pc get all its electricity. You should get a good power supply, because if that fails, it can damage the other parts of your pc as well. Use a power supply calculator and see how much you need, or count it yourself.

Case

So this is where all your stuff will go. Cases usually have good airflow, or silence in mind when they're designed. Which ever suits you, pick it. Your case needs to support the motherboard, atx being the most common form factor

If you have any questions sir just ask and i will be happy to help

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    • Informative x 5
    • Useful x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  4. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Daddy Nexxus

Daddy Nexxus Toxi-Fessional VIP

Send me a pm of what you want to do with the computer and what games you plan on playing on it. Include the resolution and fps you want to play the games at.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

I just wanna add another thing. Make sure that you buy a motherboard that supports your RAM type and CPU socket type. If you are buying this i7 processor, you would need a motherboard with a FCBGA1515 CPU socket, but if you are buying this i7 processor then you'd need an LGA-1156 socket. Also, make sure that your motherboard supports your RAM speed. RAM is usually measured as a frequency like 1800MHz, 1600MHz, etc. Just make sure that your MOBO lists your rams frequency or else they won't work together. Basically, your motherboard decides what components your PC will use. First I'd find a nice processor to build your computer around, then find a motherboard, and then fill in the rest depending on what the motherboard supports. When you are buying a motherboard, it usually lists all of it's specifications. As long as the motherboard has the right CPU socket type, the RAM frequency/form factor, PCI slots, etc, then you should be good to go. I purchased a motherboard when I was younger and realized that my ram wasn't supported. One of the easier mistakes to make as a beginner.

7. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

You could also buy a fairly good prebuilt that has an i7 with good ram. Then just buy a GPU and slap that thing in and boom you you have a fully working gaming pc. It’s easy af, like literally all you have to do is open the system up and put the gpu in.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  8. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

9. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

whats the model number of ur motherboard fam? look it up with speccy

10. Bruno

Here's the model "ASRock H55M-LE (CPUSocket)" now i'm planing to buy this graphic card http://fenix.com.hr/product.asp?product=graficka-kartica-asus-strix-gtx1050-2g-gaming&code=0902247 and this processor http://fenix.com.hr/product.asp?product=procesor-intel-core-i5-7400&code=0300561 and these ram sticks http://fenix.com.hr/product.asp?product=mem-ddr3-8gb-1600mhz-2x4-xpg-v1-kit-ad&code=0703513

Is 1600MHz enough and does all those products fit in my motherboard or i should buy new one too?

11. MythMe

MythMe VIP

• The graphics card should work fine with both the current and the one i'm talking about
    • The ram you're considering will work with the current motherboard.

1600mhz is around the corner of losing performance, after around 2400mhz it really doesn't matter because the cpu doesn't need that fast ram.

what PC do you have?

12. Bruno

Here's all about my current PC https://imgur.com/a/S3E4J

That new motherboard is kinda expensive tho isn't there any cheaper?

I will lose Windows Licence does that mean i'll have to re-install windows and all my games back again on PC?

13. MythMe

MythMe VIP

I'm sorry but i didn't find any cheaper ones from the site you used :confused: maybe look from amazon.it or .de? it's a z270 motherboard. But if you can get a bios update a z170 should also fit it.

So please someone correct me if i'm wrong; You don't lose any data, like games or windows. Windows simply doesn't recognize the system, so it want's a new activation code. Other than that, you shouldn't lose anything at all.

14. Daddy Nexxus

Ay homie you never messaged me. You might be able to save some money on your processor. If you're not going to be trying to play games at 120 fps, pushing some serious ultra high graphics, or process video then you can probably go with the Pentium G4560. I built my wife's last computer with it and it runs at least Skyrim on maximum settings with texture packs at 60fps. Its basically the ultimate budget CPU. It's a dual cor3 but 4 thread CPU. What that means is most older and all newer games will run same as if they were running on a 4 core cpu.

What websites can you buy parts from?

15. Bruno

Sorry man i forgot about you.Heres the website http://fenix.com.hr/category.asp?cate=procesori-23 i need more than Skyrim tho

I'm planing to play at least Far cry 4 which i can't right now and i think i need intel core i5 thats the minimum i think,i wan't it to run smoothly without any lag and good graphic,the minimum of it,it doesn't have to be ultra tho just it must run smoothly and beautifully.

I will see about the budget and then we should decide what is the best to pick.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  16. Dodley27

Dodley27 Dolfin VIP Bronze

here is a link to my main PC parts i couldn't find my power supply though and i just used an old case that i found that had 2 HDD one of 500 Gb and the other one of 1 Tb. i use this PC for gaming and it runs MOST games on NORMAL graphics VERY smoothly. totally would recommend for people with a lower budget.

EDIT: My power supply is an Antec Basiq 450W PSU it has all of the connectors for the graphics card and CPU. I use the CPU cooler that came in the CPU box (You can use it just fine but if you upgrade to a better CPU with the FM2+ socket it will stay just fine as long as you don't plan on over clocking)

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Dodley27

Dodley27 Dolfin VIP Bronze

btw pm me if u need help with building it

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Daddy Nexxus

Here is a video of far cry 4 with the g4560 and GTX 1050ti. Both of what you could have. This game is set to ultra 1080p. The only thing maxing out 100% is the gpu which means the only way to improve performance would be a better graphics card. Any i5 is really just overkill for gaming unless you're streaming 1080p or doing very high fps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Daddy Nexxus

Hey just wanted to pop back in. Here's something I put together in about 15 minutes for you. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wB7c9W. Everything I put on that list is available on https://www.mindfactory.de, which (according to Reddit) delivers to Croatia. If it doesn't, or if anything isn't to your liking, just let me know.

Additionally, the way Windows 10 works requires you to reinstall windows when you get a new motherboard. Don't ask how it's done or why. It's simply a requirement to reinstall windows when you're plugging your HDD up to a new motherboard. This doesn't necessarily mean you have to repurchase windows. You may be able to reinstall it by using a recovery CD/Flash Drive utility or with Windows built in repair utility.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Bruno

Ok so i'm pretty much done with the build and i wanna hear other people opinions too.
    These are current components unless i manage to get more money and buy a better one.

Motherboard: http://fenix.com.hr/product.asp?product=maticna-ploca-asr-z270m-pro4&code=0202073
    RAM: http://fenix.com.hr/product.asp?product=mem-ddr4-8gb-2133mhz-value-ram-kin&code=0703893
    CPU: https://www.links.hr/hr/procesor-intel-core-i5-7500-box-s-1151-3-4ghz-6mb-cache-quadcore-050600026
    GPU: https://www.links.hr/hr/graficka-ka...0ti-expedition-4gb-ddr5-dvi-hdmi-dp-051800165

Now my main worry is that the GPU will bottleneck the cpu,and i'm not 100% sure does everything match.I can switch to 7400 but i think that won't solve anything.

I would like to play at least pubg on 60 fps and some new upcoming games these years.