hacking rule change

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by tz-, Jun 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba the Slut

Jabba the Slut That's Kinky! Lead Admin VIP Silver

While I can't say I am a fan of a perma ban on the first offense of hacking, I am 100% behind perma banning on the second offense.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sticky Bandit

Sticky Bandit Never fall below your standard VIP Bronze

When this server started in 2013, I don't think anybody ever thought it'd last this long. Shit, it almost didn't. But here we are, alive and well.
    I was once permabanned from SGM. A few friends and myself from another server joined SGM to see what one of our old super admins, DOAN1GHTMARE (or however the fuck he spelled it) was up to. Turns out he was an admin. After not long, he realizes it's us decides to ban us all for ghosting. Permanently. Thank God Highwon was around back then, because we were quickly unbanned.
    But what if he wasn't around? I would still be permanently banned, and I probably wouldn't have ever made a forum account to appeal. 6 years down the line, when I'm literally a completely different person due to age (was 13 then, 19 now). So, instead of being permanently banned, what if I was just banned for a few years?

Being banned for just a few years holds the same effect as a perma to most people, however it lets those who really want to get back into SGM, clean from hacking, without having to be subject to the will of the administration team on a ban appeal. We accept most appeals, but even then, making an appeal is still a daunting task. Why create this problem in the first place when we can avoid it all together by just making hacking bans not permanent.

Permanent bans are also supposed to really be for "COI" level offenses, which Hacking is most certainly not. We will end up permabanning people when they hack and evade bans and shit, but the script kiddies just have one account which when it's banned, they close gmod for the night. Don't see the purpose in perma banning them.

3. Carl

Carl Kachow! VIP

+1

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Togo ✿

Togo ✿ Nobody Gets it VIP Silver

If you hack you should only get a 1 week local ban

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Robyn

Robyn Floof Moderator VIP Silver

Imo the best idea is offense 1 4week local offense 2 8 week global offense 3 perma

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Old Old x 1
  6. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

give me 1st offense globals or give me death

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

High key isnt there already a thread on reverting the hacking bans? Anyway...

First offense shouldnt be a perma ban bc in my opinion players deserve a second chance. Alot of players who dont think they will get into the game, hack. They hack just for their own pleasure and jump from community to community hacking away and getting permanent bans. I know this, because this is my experience. When I first bought gmod, I didnt care at all about the game and went server to server hacking away and I got banned on each of them. 90% of them are perma bans. I have a hard time now trying to find communities to play on bc they perma banned me from their community back in 2015, whereas now and over the past few years ive put just under 2k hours into the game. It has even hindered me from playing on CSGO community servers bc alot of the communities i hacked on have servers across several games. Giving players a second chance lets them know they have somewhere to go if they decide to play the game seriously.

With that being said, I feel that first offense should be a LONG and GLOBAL ban. I think they should start out at 3 months, to keep players from fucking up their second chance. If its not a global ban, players will immediately ruin their second chance by bouncing to another server and hacking, making it a perma offense.

8. SavannahBanana

SavannahBanana I Love Bananas :D VIP Emerald Bronze

I agree with Pacifist that moderators should NOT have the powers to global ban players.

First offence shouldn't be a perma ban bc in my opinion players deserve a second chance.
    I do agree with the fact that you shouldn't have to ban hackers over and over again. not long ago I saw someone getting banned for hacking 6. hacking fucking 6! that's just a waste of time.

I think the first hacking offence should be 4 weeks aka a month (unless the person goes on our other servers and hacks again then be globally banned or perma banned)
    After the first ban, they shouldn't be getting more warnings nor attention that's why I think perma banning them is the best thing to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  9. Smor

Smor VIP

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Penius

Penius Aye man, you're shaking it all wrong VIP Bronze

ok then we just ban the acc for 250 years I’m ok with this

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. Cupcake Mayhem

Cupcake Mayhem Uncuffed VIP

I think some people are missing the point tz- is trying to make here. He’s not saying to perma ban on first offense, or to give mods global ban powers. He’s asking for all hacking bans to be global bans, and the counter argument to that was that the workload on the admins would just pile up. So, for an admin to global ban a moderator’s ban (like a hacking ban) the admins have to see video proof of the offense. Seeing as there are many hackers the amount of requests for global bans would really stack up which is what pacifist said before. Hacking is also not all the time caught on video, so it’s inevitable that not all hacking bans would end up being permanent.

Edit: If a hacker does go to hack on another server, the ban is almost always globalized, but again for an admin to extend a mods ban they need proof.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  12. Bubonic

Bubonic Burning heretics since M31 VIP

I feel that admins should be reviewing all hacking evidence either way, moderators are not always the best judges of if a player is hacking and most hacking evidence is only a few rounds long. How many hackers is "many"? Even if we had 5 hackers caught per day that would only be asking each admin to check a single ban a day. Even if it were double that is asking the admins to go over 2 bans a day really that much?

What do you mean by this? If it's not caught on video, or there isn't any other sufficient evidence, they should not be banned in the first place. At what point did we start banning players for hacking without requiring evidence?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Adminツ

Adminツ VIP

just don't get caught 4head XD

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Cupcake Mayhem

Cupcake Mayhem Uncuffed VIP

I actually don’t think it would be that much work, but it seems like others may disagree, I was never an admin when all hacking bans were global so I can’t really say. And what I mean in the second part is that, technology isn’t perfect, files break all the time, sometimes people think they’re recording but they aren’t actually recording, mistakes happen.

15. Timo654

Timo654 EU BEST VIP Silver

And if you aren't recording, you'd have to void the ban either way. Not a valid excuse for not implementing global bans imo. Could use this same excuse for everything we global ban for right now too.

16. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

I don't know. Why do we give anyone a slap on the wrist their first time? People are dumb and make dumb mistakes. They shouldn't be perma banned because they hacked one time. They shouldn't be perma banned because they hacked twice. Or hell, even three times. I can definitely get behind longer bans and globalizing hackers who just intent to go around and cause mass chaos on the servers. Hell, i'm even all for perma banning users who have excessive hacking bans across multiple accounts, but i'm also not a cold hearted son of a bitch. Who knows, that hacker may grow up a little and realize their idiocy and become a productive member of the community. It doesn't seem like it happens a lot, but I can imagine it does. Not every person hacks for the same reasons. Some just do it for a cheap thrill, others do it because they seriously want to be malicious. The ones that just do it for a cheap thrill realize pretty quickly that hacking is dumb and that they shouldn't do it.

Just my thoughts on the matter, hope you are satisfied with it.

As far as this suggestion goes, I think keeping it up to admin discretion is the best possible thing we could do here. If they want to globalize every hacking ban, then so be it, and if not I can get behind that to. I just don't want to force a workload on our admins that would take away from their ability to handle their teams (also before you say something like "well they already don't do that" i'm working on bettering the administration as we speak). So yeah, I am not really in favor of this and will not implementing this any time soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. Togo ✿

Togo ✿ Nobody Gets it VIP Silver

rdm and leave 1st should be a perma ban

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. AAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAA coolgamer VIP

Anyone who disagrees with harsher bans for cheaters doesnt actually play the game and lives in their own weird world. Fuck playing with cheaters, they made their own conscious decision to ruin the game for others knowing well that they are breaking the rules. It's not really a "mistake" same way as an accidental ghost or an RDM and Leave is, because you dont "mistakingly" go on some fishy website and download free_gmod_hack_notvirus.exe and start using it.

I would permaban on 1st offence with more leniency on unban appeals, if it really seems like they have changed. I would not automatically hand every cheater a 2nd chance, just because 1% of them make a change.

I would imagine that the current punishment actually serves to cause more cheaters on the servers, because players can think "Oh, I can get caught once and I'll automatically be forgiven in a month, I don't really care that much about a month, so I guess I'll just go for it". A permaban would make at least any regular think twice about doing it, since they know that getting caught means no more TTT on these servers for you.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  19. Smor

Smor VIP

yea but really tho a vast majority of the people that hack really don't give a shit about the servers and should be perma global banned 2nd offense. It's dumb as fuck seeing someone mass rdm with an aimbot and only get a 4 week ban. There's no reason to treat these people like children and keep giving them chances. Hackers should be punished more harshly as they made the conscious decision to ruin the game for everybody else. If someone truly cared about the servers, they wouldn't have hacked in the first place. If they do care, they can go and appeal their ban on the forums. The fact that there is already a lack of ban appeals for hacking bans goes to show how they don't give a fuck.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 do you know how it feel to feel alone VIP Bronze

To be honest, first offense should be a global. Now that we have promoted admins, it won’t be much of a problem for hacking first to be global. Plus, if a hacker is banned, they aren’t going to go to another one of our servers and say dang, they got me, time to play like a normal person. They are just going to hack in spite of being banned. Plus, a hacker who is just being stupid right now can hop on one server, get banned for hacking first, hop to another one and boom they are banned for hacking second in 5-10 minutes. I agree with this, first at least needs to be a global ban.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.