Frequent Server Restarts and AFK Farming [Need Solution]

Discussion in 'Archived Minecraft Discussion' started by The Law, Feb 22, 2017.

?

Use of autofarms and server restarts:

1. I use farms and I have found server restarts to be an annoyance.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. I use farms, but I haven't experienced annoyance over needing to rejoin the server.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Just get your hands dirty like the rest of us you lazy bugger!

14 vote(s)
    58.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Law

The Law You fought the law and the law won. VIP Silver Emerald

In a server that is very much built around a market economy of buying and selling goods and making as much money as you can, it's not uncommon for many to have invested energy into creating automatic farms so they don't have to get their hands dirty (ie. herbs/food farms, monster farms, xp farms, you name it).

Unfortunately, with the server needing to be restarted so often, every some 2 hours or so; it makes it difficult for farm users to run their farms automatically as intended. Most automatic farms will run without player interaction, but will still require chunks to be loaded, which is why a player needs to be present (either playing or AFK)- similarly with mob spawner farms, a player must be within a certain radius of the spawner for it to be active and spawn mobs. When the server restarts the player is removed and must manually log back in inorder to run the farms again. At the current state, one has to do this every two hours around the clock if they hope to keep their farms running.​

I am looking for a solution to this problem; whether it be from the developers, or the player base. I personally have looked into several mods that had looked promising and provided an autoreconnect function of sorts when disconnected from the server, but rather sadly all of these mods were grossly outdated from today's current version of Minecraft. And so I am asking if perhaps anyone out there has by chance already found a solution to this problem, or perhaps a discussion could reach to a solution.

TLDR: Frequent server restarts make it difficult to AFK farm. Can we come up with a solution?

Thanks,
    The Law.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Fabulous Fishy

Fabulous Fishy VIP Silver

Solution: Press a couple buttons every 2 hours and continue on with your life. Case closed.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  3. The Law

[Potential Solution]
    I should mention that the one solution I have come across that may work, is the use of a macro script to move the mouse across the screen to the "connect to server" buttons and click the necessary number of times in the right spots to rejoin the server. This function could run every 10-30 minutes or so to ensure you automatically rejoin to the server after a disconnect. But this seems like a rather dodgy way of going about it, it seems more like a bodge job rather than a clean and refined solution. Plus I don't have the expertise, knowledge, or time to create such a macro script.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. The Law

I get what you're saying, and believe me I've been doing that just like everyone else. The problem is that I'm tired of feeling attached to my computer, by frequently feeling like I need to check if the farm is still running or not because the server has been restarted. And how do you suppose we AFK farm at night while sleeping? at this current point you simply don't, because otherwise you wouldn't get any sleep having to wake up every 2h to join back to the server. All I'm asking here is to find out if a solution is possible that might make my life a bit easier by allowing farms to run more efficiently and autonomously.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  5. Squidd

Squidd VIP

Just use heavy macros. If I cared enough, I'd write a macro script that presses the buttons to log back in when needed. Its not hard, theres programs that can assist you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zypther

Zypther #SuitUp VIP Bronze Iron

Actually the 5zigs mod allows you to automatically rejoin a server, you need to go into its settings to turn it on though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Law

I've heard of this a couple times now... I'll look into it.

8. The Law

This is an option that will work, but It's not the cleanest of options :C. I'm still looking for alternatives to this, but so far nothing.

-Nonetheless, the server restarts being increased to q4h has definitely helped the issue.

9. Yatty ☄️

Yatty ☄️ Yatt'em VIP Silver

I've been looking around Curse for a solution to this problem. If I find a mod that fixes this issue I will let you know.

EDIT : Have mod that I might be able to just port to 1.11.2 myself. We'll find out soon though.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. TLCFanboy

TLCFanboy (◕‿◕✿) VIP Bronze

I don't think you're going to get assistance from the devs with this idea. The whole point is to make money, yeah? You have to earn it. I make money from my wheat farm and I do it manually.

I feel as if "automatically" making money isn't a good thing that they would want to have going on. You should have to earn your money IMO, not by AFK farming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tinbuster00

Tinbuster00 See you on the forums! VIP Silver Emerald

Or just be one of the people who got a villager spawner and you're set for life

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Yatty ☄️

[​IMG]

Just needs testing and we're off to the races~

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. TLCFanboy

TLCFanboy (◕‿◕✿) VIP Bronze

How'd the test go? Honestly I'm kinda interested in seeing if it works. Cause honestly if others are using it, I will be too.

14. Yatty ☄️

Progress has been made, code needs a bit of work still and a lot more testing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. The Law

I finally got around to looking into this 5zigs mod. I found and enabled the auto rejoin setting, but in my testing it did not operate to automatically rejoin me to the server after being disconnected. As far as I can see, it does not have this functionality. Have you gotten this to function on your end? If so, then perhaps I'm missing something.

16. The Law

After AFK grinding for the last week and having to continuously check throughout the day and night if the server had restarted or not became very tedious and began to really wear me down, and develop into a negative distraction to me doing other more important things. I desperately need something that would remove my attention away from the game and know that it will run without me needing to interact with it multiple times in a day. And so today, I began another search for a solution, but after countless hours of scouring the web for mods and testing some, I came up with no solutions; which leads me back to the first solution I posed:
    [Currently Developing a Solution]
    After exhausting all other options, I broke and have now resorted to the one solution I know has a fighting chance at working. I decided to try my hand at learning some basic script writing with AHK in hopes to create a script that would automatically join me back into the server upon a server restart. A bazillion hours later (time I should have been studying... sigh) I have created a crude alpha "build" - if you can even call it that. I'm still working out the many kinks and there is still a lot of testing that needs to be done, but I do feel somewhat confident that I have developed a working solution to this issue. If after some testing I find this method actually works, I will need to go back and tidy up some things in which looking back at now I had made much more complicated than it needed to be. Expect an update soon.

17. IAmRelapse

IAmRelapse Active Member

Why not just set the server restarts at 24h? Also, change the multiplayer chunk cache to somewhere in 150 to 250, that way not much memory needs to be running and also faster loading times for poor internet users.

• Creative Creative x 1
  18. StrayHunter

StrayHunter Emerald

server restarts every 2 hours, and farms only grow (.ie furnaces only work) when the chunk is rendered
    how about keeping that specific chunk rendered like a rent for it

• Creative Creative x 1
  19. The Law

[Update]
    Tests have been successful, with a 100% success rate to rejoining the server time and time again after each server restart! Meaning you could AFK indefinitely without interruption. The next step will be to make a more refined system that's less complicated and more accessible to others. Once refinement is complete I will release a simple tutorial.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

Heh you shoulda talked to me about AHK, been using it for a while now. Let me know on here or via pm if you need any assistance or consulting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.