[Forums]Maxing the image cap to 400-450kb for Regulars

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Acnologia, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Acnologia

Acnologia modern desperado VIP Silver

Moderators have a cap of 500kb and admins have a higher if none cap for avatars. The regulars are limited to using images which get downsized to 50kb when using .jpgs and that don't even work 99% of the time when using .pngs and .gifs. I say we raise that cap to a range around 400-450kb.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

I like your idea, but bandwidth is expensive. 100kb would be a better cap for PNG's. From my experience, JPG's have a larger cap.

Overall I'm neutral but if you show a positive in game attitude and remain active on the forums, I'll give you my +1

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dolph1n

Dolph1n Time is an adventure- if you know when to look. Banned Elite

The problem is that it causes lag on the website because every time you open a tab of the forums it has to index every user's avatar.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Acnologia

[​IMG]
    "The browser cache is a temporary storage location on your computer for files downloaded by your browser to display websites. Files that are cached locally include any documents that make up a website, such as html files, CSS style sheets, JavaScript scripts, as well as graphic images and other multimedia content."

That 336 MB is from 5 days of browsing on the forums alone. Our browsers make use of that, for example, when the forum's logo was changed, some people could still see the old logo. When they cleared their history, they saw the new one. Because of this system, less lag is created.
    Maybe if we add an option for better quality avatars for regulars? Like, jpgs could have the same system they have now (i.e. being downsized), but pngs and gifs could have higher caps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Kyül

Kyül Caged Bird VIP Bronze

That damn cap prevented me from using this beauty :(
    [​IMG]

6. Santa Claus

Acno, imagine uploading (lets just say 500) 400kb files.

Assuming there's 500 active members weekly, and everyone maxes their file size, and must download each other's,, this site must now dish out (500users^2 * 0.4mb = ) 100gb of upload bandwidth.

seems wrong af, so correct me

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kyül

Kyül Caged Bird VIP Bronze

Of course. Its not that they are doing it because of malice, but because of the limitations they have. Still, it kinda sucks tbh

8. Santa Claus

Small changes like this will take a ton of thought, especially by @Highwon , since any changes to this can affect the cost of hosting the site (though lets hope it wouldnt be too much)

IMO, PNG's need a raised cap to about 100kb, and JPG's are working fine.

9. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

There's a reason avatar sizes are limited, I mentioned this on a thread last month.

Can't remember the reason as Darktooth told me in shoutbox but there is a reason for it, Xencforo related a believe.

10. Acnologia

Bump, perhaps making a 200kb limit for PNGs and GIFs instead of 400+ ? I know the load is heavy but it can't cause that many problems

11. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

-1 i only get dialup internet and this would increase my loading times.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  12. twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️

twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️ screwdriver Banned VIP Silver

-1 what xpro said sorry acno

13. littlememe

littlememe nothinglastsforever VIP Bronze

+1

14. Renko

Renko VIP Iron

Said by the guy who played battlefield 4 and gmod at the same time.

• Old Old x 1
  15. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

Year is 2018 and we cant even use quality pfps smh

+1

16. Opalium

Opalium Stay Awesome Banned VIP Silver

Bandwidth isn't cheap, especially for our website which is quite active for the resources we have available (Did you know? Last month we had over 1.5 million page hits!)
    We have to be quite careful with our resources, because every little change can turn into a big chunk of data, and we just don't always have the ability to offer more than we already do. Donations can only cover so much, and we still have game servers and stuff to pay for.

I agree that 50KB is quite low, but that's not easy to change. I can look into increasing it to 200KB, which sounds reasonable for me - but that's not something I can promise, so don't get your hopes up just yet.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Machinekiller00

Machinekiller00 I <3 Gunter VIP Silver

Thanks dad. Always looking out for us common folk :love: