Accepted Forum names must begin with English characters

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Cash, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ink

ink Genuine Happiness VIP Silver

The real problem here is the god awful search and indexing system the forums has. I disagree that solving this problem with forums should be to limit a staff member or user's freedom with names. If this is actually a problem, which it's a very minute problem if it even is. FYI, to tag a user @Humancowcakes you don't @name and attach a link to their profile, you use the BB Code for users: [ USER=NUMBER]@SomeUser[/USER] ex: @Solrawr. If there's a problem that people don't know about the way tagging users works, add that as a tooltip in the BB Code Editor help where'd find the rest of the tools. I'm just saying just because the shitty search algorithm doesn't search past anything that's precisely and completely accurate to match the first 3 letters of the name, we shouldn't force users to adapt to it. By this logic, you'd also have to force people to not have a space after the first letter because the silly @ thing instantly disappears. If a majority of the player base finds a major problem with it, fix the search not the players.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  2. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

I would love to require staff members to follow this policy for the purpose of tagging. It's something I require of my moderators and would love to see the same enforced upon the rest of the team cough solar cough.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  3. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

It's funny because applying to staff members used to be rules that

A) They could only change their name rarely and had to get permission
    B) Once they've changed it they had to keep their old name in brackets for two weeks

This was done to avoid confusion with reports and communication in general between players and staff.

Honestly not sure what even happens to that because half the time I have no idea even who half the staff are cause their names change every fucking day.

@Opalium @HelixSpiral @DieKasta maybe it's time those rules were dumped back into place again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

What’s with all the damn debating just make this a rule already :confused:

5. 4sea

4sea VIP

Good suggestion, staff should be tagged easily, without having to copy/paste special characters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Adrian Shephard

Adrian Shephard VIP Silver

No -1

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. uwu

uwu Banned Silver

BUT HOW AM I GONNA BE ABLE TO RE NAME MYSELF TO MY FAV ANIME CHARACTER IS JAPANESE!!1!1!1!1!

Nah jk +1

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Han

Han       VIP

I'm honestly shocked people are supporting this because this idea seems unnecessary and stupid. Who cares if it takes a little more effort to tag someone, that's not a good reason at all to make a rule for something like this. The reason we have the rule for the servers is because certain characters can screw with the staff commands and you also need to have a name to call out people. Not having a name can mess with the game itself. That's totally unrelated to a forum issue.

I can admit requiring it for staff members could help sometimes, but really, this is such a non-issue. You had to take a couple clicks to get to a name. Why would you want to limit all names for something so minimal?

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  9. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

Once again, I never said remove all use of non English characters, just the use of them at the beginning of names. As the current forum search doesn't search off anything but the beginning

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Han

Han       VIP

I know you're only talking about the first letters / symbols in a username. I might have accidentally implied all use in my post, but I get what you're saying. My issue is that you're wanting to limit names for no other reason except for convenience, which is totally unnecessary on a forum imo.

11. Cash

I mean based off responses so far, it seems fairly necessary. It's more so to make it a better experience for users creating reports/appeals in my opinion but yeah convenience too

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Han

Han       VIP

I can see the convenience part for staff members in reports, appeals and other things, but not really for regulars. How often have you seen regulars with symbols in front of their name being tagged in reports?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Cash

Not often, but still the rule can be used as a preventative measure

14. Han

Han       VIP

There's no need for a preventative measure that will negatively affect some people when it's not even an issue in the first place. I can't really give a good number of how many people have names like this, but it doesn't really seem like that much of a problem.

15. Cash

Either way, staff as you said at the very minimum should be required to have English characters at the beginning, in terms of regulars I see your point. Whatever is decided is up to staff though so we'll see if anything happens with it

16. Solar

Solar El Dorado VIP

Hahaha I (or any admin for that matter) always play in SGM with valid names (for me, literally just Solar). Please don't assume I don't lul. Me changing my name doesn't mean I use it in-game lmao. So don't worry about it, I don't do it "willy-nilly".

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. Cash

Nice rating the main post dumb, yet it still made you change to something taggable

18. Solar

Solar El Dorado VIP

Mainly because the screenshot of my Steam names didn't make sense as there's already a rule about English characters. I do agree with the first sentence though, don't worry.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  19. Cash

Hey I deleted the screenshot and updated the comment prior to the dumb rating, as I was wrong

Edit - Screenshot is still there but it's an overall example, sorry about that

20. Adrian Shephard

Adrian Shephard VIP Silver

its a fucking name on the fucking a game fucking forum why its would be fucking important to begin with english this will not give you a fucking cancer copy their name and paste it on ur tag ez solution

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.