Claims PVP Poll

Discussion in 'Minecraft Suggestions' started by Squidd, Feb 1, 2017.

Tags:
?

What is your personal opinion on PVP inside of claims?

1. PVP should be ENABLED in claims, as it is now.

24.0%
  2. PVP should be DISABLED in claims, as it was before.

44.0%
  3. Other (In favour of PVP)

29.3%
  4. Other (Opposed to PVP)

2.7%
  1. Squidd

Squidd VIP

Why hasn't this been made yet?
    I'm interested in seeing people organized and official stance on what is SMC's most debated topic currently.

If you vote other, or would like to expand on your choice, comment below.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. GuyOfRainbows

GuyOfRainbows Member

PVP should be on in claims, but, I believe that spawn-camping should be against the rules, and that after killing someone a maximum of twice, you must leave the area. This rule can be disregarded though if the person who gets killed attacks the person leaving.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

I still don't believe we should have PvP in claimed areas

If you're out exploring and you're vulnerable, fair game, but during the day I'd like to passively harvest my crops and ride my rollercoaster on my land without the risk of an arrow hitting my backside

There's already countless things to do in Minecraft if you're bored that don't affect anyone else, whereas this makes gameplay frightening even for the most passive of players (which is the majority from what Ive seen)

How do you build a community in which everyone is fearful of each other? (Minus the already established cliques)

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. Deathbyrussian

Deathbyrussian Creator of Worlds - http://imgur.com/a/LfHNY Emerald

The problem with having PvP disabled in claims is that it's easy to abuse and it takes away people's options, which is why we enabled it. If it's disabled in claims, one of two things can be exploited (both were being exploited before we made the change):

1. You can shoot at people outside of your claim and they will take damage, but you can remain unharmed. There were cases of people making a small claim just outside of someone's house and then shooting at them as soon as they leave their claim. The victim couldn't retaliate, so instead they just had to sit in their claim and wait, or get shot at as soon as they leave.

2. (less common and not a huge deal) If you're caught in the wild. You can place a quick claim down and avoid PvP. Or, if you know you're near someone else's home, you can just run to their house and be safe (assuming they've claimed it).

Another huge reason we enabled PvP in claims is because there are many people that like PvP as a whole, and usually build their bases with at least a little bit of defense in mind. They would love to build an awesome wall or a bunch of sweet traps, but if no one comes to attack them then what's the point? And they don't want people to just come in and break their stuff so not having it claimed is not an option for them.

We are well aware of the issues and concerns about PvP and we're watching the forums looking for any ideas that we think would work really well.

A few ideas I personally like that I've seen around the forums or that have been discussed among staff:

• Make it so you're safe from PvP for 10-15 minutes after being killed in PvP. When you die, you are protected from PvP for 10-15 minutes. However, if you attack anyone the cooldown ends. (original idea by @MangoTango)
    • Adding a /pvptoggle command that will toggle PvP on/off for you only. It'll be on a very long cooldown (a few hours) and it will announce to the server when you've toggled it (maybe). It'll wait about 5 minutes until it's activated to prevent any kind of abuse.
    • Having PvP only on at night. This will allow you to build or whatever you want to do during the day without fear of being killed in PvP. It would make nighttime much scarier than it already is.
    Ideas that won't work:
    • Disabling PvP in claims. Reasons are discussed above, sorry guys.
    • Disabling PvP when equipping enchanted armor. Other than the huge programming hassle this would be, it would also get rid of that end game PvP people like. It would also be easy to exploit (you can equip armor with the hotbar, and it's hard to track)
    • Enabling/disabling PvP in your own claim. GriefPrevention doesn't give a command to do this and it isn't open source so it's impossible.

My personal opinion? I think it'd be cool to implement the 10-15 minute cooldown after death and also the PvP at night thing. This way, you can still build during the day without being afraid of getting killed, and then defend yourself in your house at night. And if someone does get the better of you, they'll kill you and then will have to leave after that, unless they want to sit and wait for the cooldown to end which would just be wasting their time.

We just started this server, so we're still trying to find the balance. We DO listen to the community and we're working as much as we can whenever we can fixing bugs and planning/implementing features.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. GuyOfRainbows

GuyOfRainbows Member

I vote Option A with the cooldown.

6. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

Other - In Favor.

I'm actually, individually, in favor of PvP everywhere, all the time.

However- from hearing from complaints from various people and reading this thread I would be happy with these ideas to make the (hopefully) majority happy.

- Safe from PvP when killed for appx 10-15 minutes. To clarify on @Deathbyrussian said above however, would the cooldown end and THEN you could attack, or does the cooldown end when an attack is made? That initial attack could be absolutely deadly giving full benefit to the person who was just killed.

- I don't like the /pvptoggle idea at all. I think this takes away a large portion of the "survival" aspect of MC. It'd also be pretty lame to be a pvp player stalking a non-pvp player for awhile only to find out they have it disabled.

- I think PvP at night would be a good idea.

I think overall, I would like to see a combination of all three of these implemented.

PvP for all players at night. Claim or no claim.
    During the day, PvP is optional with the /pvptoggle.
    10-15 minute timer after death. Either can't attack until timer is over, or first attack stops cooldown, but also doesn't do any damage/effect.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Deathbyrussian

Deathbyrussian Creator of Worlds - http://imgur.com/a/LfHNY Emerald

That's a good point. So then it would just be 10-15 minutes and then you can attack. I'm sure we could also *MAYBE* set it up so it gives a warning to you AND people within, say, 100 blocks of you, that your PvP is about to be enabled.

I really like this combination as well, I think that would actually be the best combo. Not sure how that would work in terms of the programming behind it though, would have to ask @irritatingness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Paradox

Paradox The One Eyed Ghoul Banned Elite

I mean some like building at night personally im for just plain pvp toggle.

9. EhhChris

EhhChris Advisor. VIP Silver Emerald

I can do this, though I'm not going to start on this right away, as we need more feedback/I have something else that's a bit more pressing to finish.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

yesssssssssssssssssssssssss

11. Dolph1n

Dolph1n Time is an adventure- if you know when to look. Banned Elite

What about this? During night, PvP is off regardless. During the day, if you haven't taken damage(ALL DAMAGE, INCLUDING SELF AND MOBS) in the last 20 seconds or so, you're immune to PvP while on your claims. This makes it so people can't wander up and kill you while you're being peaceful, and also eliminates people abusing it by just ducking in their claim to avoid PvP.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Why not, when you're in combat mode, you can be hit on your own claim?
    As well as make a rule against claim exploiting, which would be defined as laying down a claim to stake out someone on their claim (also a form of harassment)
    That way, anyone who doesn't want to PvP on their claim doesn't have to, day or night, and people who attack from their claim can be attacked back

13. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

I've mentioned this on another thread, but what if there was a placeable block that stopped combat tagging within a certain area, and you can't deal damage to other players before combat is tagged? You can't move blocks when you are already tagged, and if you can't deal damage without tagging, it prevents people from sniping others from safe places. Since all it prevents is the tagging of combat, people can't flee into the space when already under attack

14. Amatsu

Amatsu Emerald

I am in favor of either a toggle, or pvp at night. Most of my building is day time building so I can see anyways.

15. Lone Wanderer

Lone Wanderer The One and Only VIP

I'm personally against PVP in claims in general, because it really makes no sense to me that you should be able to kill someone in their claim, but can't steal/loot/destroy anything in that claim.

Along with that, the actual survival world has no safe areas in terms of community towns or villages. So, given there's no public safe space where you can go to build/craft/hang out in peace, I would figure that one's claim would be their personal safe area. But, since you can just merk someone in their claim, there's really no safe area at all, which just doesn't seem right for a multiplayer Minecraft server.

But, I know there's people that want to be able to kill and hunt people, and there are people who do it without abusing/griefing those who they're killing. So, I think a good balance would be having PVP in claims allowed during nighttime, and PVP out in the unclaimed world should be unrestricted, and allowed at all times. That way, players would be able to build, farm and hang out in their bases safely during the day when it's significantly easier to do that stuff; but come night, they know there's the risk someone could come and kill them.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. GuyOfRainbows

GuyOfRainbows Member

I personally don't agree with the PVP off during the night, but, if it was to happen, I would prefer TheLoneWanderers idea where it's on 24/7 in unclaimed land. This way, players have the protection of their claim when untagged, but still have to be careful venturing outside during the day.

17. Yatty ☄️

Yatty ☄️ Yatt'em VIP Silver

Honestly the best combination. This is a really good idea.

18. Squidd

Squidd VIP

As long as the Toggle has a long cooldown (6 hours or more?) And when you toggle on or off, there is a 5-10 minutes activation timer to stop players from abusing toggle on their favour.

And then maybe have an indicator for players who are PVP or PVE toggled. Like a red name or a marker on their head or something of that sort so its easily distinguishable.

19. Yatty ☄️

Yatty ☄️ Yatt'em VIP Silver

I agree, if the player has pvp enabled their name above them will be in red. Good idea!

20. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

No. I don't like PvP, I don't like raiding.

However, I saw how much it meant to people like giraffe and hingle to be able to go "raid people" just be thankful that instead of being able to destroy your base, you just die.

Look at it this way, some people like PvP, some don't. Think of this as a way to balance between the two. Sometimes you lose your shit. But at least you aren't losing your base.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1