Change Traitor associated markers to different colors for color-blind players

Discussion in 'TTT Suggestions' started by neutral, May 22, 2017.

1. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

So- red-green color blindness is surprisingly common.

In the past couple of days, I've had two players tell me that they accidentally RDM'd because they're color blind and it's difficult to see the T marker above their heads; and I've heard this before in the past.

What I propose is, if easy to implement, is a system that allows you to edit the color of traitor associated markers such as the traitor crosshair, the T emblem above traitor buddies, and maybe even the "Traitor" title on the bottom left of your hud when you're traitor. This may help some of our fellow colorblind players.

• Agree x 11
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  2. Theinkern

Theinkern Inkern VIP Bronze

Agreed, this is a good post and I feel like this should be made a priority to prevent players from accidentally killing their teamates, here is just a little graph I found

[​IMG]

The reason I don't link females is because females rarely if ever do have color vision deficiency. (interesting fact that females can actually see more colors of red than men and it is believed to be linked to when humans were in the hunting and gathering timeframe, the women would be able to see the different color of berries of all types of red and be able to pick out the ones that were the best and not poisonous I believe.

On another note, it would be awesome if we had something to help these people when they do play on our servers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

The reason girls are less common to have colorblindness is because it's an X-linked recessive trait. In order to become colorblind females have to receive two copies of the colorblindness gene, one from mom- who has to be either colorblind or a carrier, and one from dad who has to be colorblind (since females are XX). Since males are only XY, they only need to receive one copy, which would be from Mom. So it is substantially more common in males rather than females.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

That's not how colorblindness works.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Theinkern

Yeah but the reason for that specific mutation ( I mean theory not reason) is due to that fact of hunter gather phase which is interesting, and that women can see more colors of red than men.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

7. Thought this was a part of the gamemode and is thus very hard to change unless we run a custom version?

If it's not, though, +1. Even better if we can make the color custom entirely so people can use different colors (perhaps blocking green and blue for obvious reasons)?

8. ZeRo

ZeRo :sneaky: Banned VIP Silver

Some popular games (League of Legends for example) have color blind options for those who cannot discern between red and green and I'm surprised that this game doesn't have such a system. I would like to have a color blind option to accommodate those players. +1 for this suggestion.

@Chai @Opalium is it possible to implement this kind of option into the servers?

9. (ØČĐ)™ Atlas ︻デ═一

(ØČĐ)™ Atlas ︻デ═一 Always Gray ︻デ═一 VIP

First hand experiance in this! Save the colorblind fools!!!!

10. Skyrossm

Skyrossm Ideal Female Moderator? VIP Emerald Bronze

I think I'm colorblind but only sometimes, let's do this please.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  11. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

+1

this would make an excellent addition to the server.

12. Opalium

Opalium Stay Awesome Banned VIP Silver

I'm definitely up for this, but I need to look into whether or not this will be possible without modifying the original TTT files which, as you know, causes problems with updates.

What colors do you think can work? I researched a bit and found that orange and light blue are the easiest colors to distinct with color blindness. However, if there's a color blind member of the community who can give further advice that'll be great.
    The colors I have in mind are: http://www.color-hex.com/color/e6a000 (orange) and http://www.color-hex.com/color/55b4eb (light blue)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

@Starkiller is probably the most qualified to answer that question.

14. ZeRo

ZeRo :sneaky: Banned VIP Silver

Personally, I've seen orange and light blue as common solutions to that problem. Though I think having some kind of survey to see which color combinations would work best for the innocent and traitor roles.

15. (ØČĐ)™ Atlas ︻デ═一

@Opalium Neon colors work the best imho. Orange would be a bad color causing more issues then there is becaude of the traitor rooms. A neon background with a heavly contrasting color for the T would be the best.

16. (ØČĐ)™ Atlas ︻デ═一

@HelixSpiral On what maps were players having issues seeing the T symbol?

17. Theinkern

I havea issues seeing it on that skyscraper map, i think others do as well as i have gotten a few reports saying "didn't see the t icon". The clouds or sky or something makes it hard to see when you are in a rush.

18. im going to be colorblind from now on so i can rdm without punishment :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  19. zer0

zer0 VIP

this would be very helpful

20. nutdun

nutdun Member

This would be helpfull for someone like me as i am a fair bit colorblind for small things like red and indian red. I can't see those differneces. Would be a very handy thing to implement!

• Dumb Dumb x 1