Automatic server time display

Discussion in 'TTT Suggestions' started by Deepsea1508, Sep 19, 2016.

?

Should this be added?

1. K

2. Nah

3. Meh(Neutral)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Deepsea1508

Deepsea1508 Hyuman VIP Emerald

many times i had doing recording in which i forgotten to do the !thetime command, leading the staff questions about when it happened etc.....

so what i suggest is to add a few lines of code to allow the server to automatically tell the server's time like every 30min or 1 hour.

i have spoken to @Chai about it and he said it wasnt a bad idea.

Tell me what you think.

2. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

If this is related to finding appropriate logs based on the time of the occurrence, I would say this: (This is the case, talked to Haruka)

Ok, since that's the case I'd say your fix is very inconvenient because every 30 min to 1 hr.... it's a very long stretch of time to show the time. Unless you've got a good idea to utilize how to display the time during this long stretch it's inconvenient.

What if someone is now just recording after they got on to a server, 1 minute after the time appeared in the chat box and they werent there, forget to get the time at the 30 minute mark, stop recording before then, and you're still in the same issue.

The periods are too stretched out, but too many would be spammy.

Someone could expand on this, but I remain Neutral

3. Doctor Smurfenstein

Doctor Smurfenstein Active member Banned VIP

Agreed, if you can toggle it on/off should you get tired of it.

EDIT: Also agree with Robokiller's argumentation, so I'm neutral.

4. Deepsea1508

welp didnt thought of that.

like what you said
    if not i would suggest changing it to 5/10 mins

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

-1 This isnt something that i needed. If you cant remember when the problem happened for he report, you can just go to the demos file and see when the demo file you were recording was modified. That will show the exact time that you stopped recording.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

At the worst, maybe show it on the MOTD when a player joins or something. Or at the start of a map change. But in general, I don't see the point. If a player fails to make a report with proper evidence, that might just have to be dealt with since there's no way to make it not inconvenient.

7. Wex

Wex The enemy of art is the absence of limitations VIP Bronze

That shows in your computer's timezone and not everyone lives in the timezone of the servers especially when there's US + EU servers. Sure you could convert it, but the player might go around asking for the server's timezone or figure it out themself but it just wastes a lot of time.

This would probably be more useful for reports that have provided screenshots of the console as evidence.
    A more suitable interval and something that feels natural would be at the start of every round.
    Somewhere in these messages at the start of the round:
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

Its not hard to figure out timezones. Its one of the main things you learn in school.

• Dumb Dumb x 4
  9. Wex

Yes we learn in school what the timezones of SGM servers are.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  10. Deepsea1508

currently itis 2am my time.
    East: 01:00 PM.
    West: 11:01 AM.
    EU: 08:04 PM.

i just realised that the east and west has different timing.
    what if the staff didnt know better and didnt check/convert the time etc.

11. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

I'm pretty sure the logs are saved by those times. Hence why you're suppoused to use !Thetime to actually find the proper time for old logs.

Also, 2 AM? Are you in Beijing, or was that a Typo?

12. Deepsea1508

is beijing the only place to have a +8 timezone?

and from the fourm report u can see some people dont do that.
    2nd when i record my vid, i also forgotten to use !thetime command
    which leads me making this thread................

edit: US and EU isnt the only country in the world

13. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

It was a joke. Yes, there are other places. Sorry if It came across as rude.

Either way, if a player doesn't actually to !thetime when asked to on a forum report, then that sounds more like the fault of the player at that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Deepsea1508

even if it was the fault of the player,the staff still processes/investigates the report looking thru all the maps played that day then checking the rounds 1 by 1 which is tedious to do.
    with this addition i hope to reduce this kind of things happening even if its just a little.

15. Wex

It's a report against another player, not an application for staff. Mistakes are bound to happen and suggestions like these are to help staff members as much as players.

@Deepsea makes a valid argument where it's more tedious for staff members to look through the logs one by one to find the correct time the map was played.

I don't know much about coding but !thetime is already there, how hard would it be to add that command at the start of every round? @Chai

• Like Like x 1
  16. Proper

Proper Banned Gold VIP

It's the person reporting's responsibility to provide the date and time. This is just lazy and inconvenient.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
  17. Wex

Please give a better reason on why this suggestion is lazy and inconvenient.

You agreed to this suggestion, http://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/back-to-top-button.31942/ but you didn't say it was "lazy and inconvenient".

18. Deepsea1508

great job
    u just basically copied what dog said.....
    2nd if this is lazy and inconvenient,then isnt this the same?
    http://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/back-to-top-button.31942/
    and you agreed to a fix for it...........
    irony much?
    #doublestandard

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  19. Proper

Proper Banned Gold VIP

????

there wasn't a fix needed for that???? wym
    there's a difference between looking at the time and scrolling through pages of words. besides, I don't even use that back to the top button; i use the scroll wheel...

EDIT: wowee, and you copied wex while saying im copying dog. messy

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  20. Deepsea1508

pup made her post at 2.16am,u made your post at 2.43 am
    there is like a gap 27 min for you to say something different meanwhile u attacked me on posting the same thing when @Wex and I posted at basically the same time.u can ask @Wex urself.

• Dumb Dumb x 1