Any book recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by royboooooy, Apr 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. royboooooy

royboooooy It'll always snow on Mount Fuji. VIP

I'm looking for something new to read. Preferably a book that's realistic fiction and around 500 pages max d:

If there's any other book that you enjoyed that isn't realistic fiction go ahead and say it below!

A summary of the book would also be nice as long as it doesn't contain any or too many spoilers, but it's fine if you just say the name and author :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sinz

Sinz crumble VIP Silver

Fifty Shades of Grey

erotic

heh

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. royboooooy

royboooooy It'll always snow on Mount Fuji. VIP

Mind giving me a summary? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Bogdanoff

Bogdanoff VIP

Read Mein Kampf, its a good read (serious).

6. Ravin

Ravin Determination VIP

[​IMG]
    A story set in WWII with some children who are captured by the Germans and forced into slave labor. A good book for a short read.

[​IMG]
    Another short book about personal struggles and emotional pain.

Eragon series, if you have not read it, I recommend it.

Pendragon series.

WarZ Books are fantastic as well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shadow

Shadow The art of war - subdue the enemy without fighting VIP

I don't read books in my free time because I don't enjoy it, I find it quite boring.

But...

[​IMG]
    This book
    [​IMG]
    and this book I really enjoyed.

It's in that generic science fiction drama with the setting in a world that's reeling from a previously repelled alien invasion, so it does seem somewhat cheesy in the start. The main character is a boy who is trained to become a soldier to fight in this war, and they way the story was told simply amazed me.

The second book is the exact same story, except with a different character. You'd think that it'd be similar in some way besides the setting to the other book, but in all honesty it's a completely different book that tells another story.

There's a third part of this that takes place after this, but I already made myself read through these two long books, and couldn't find any inspiration to read another whole book lol. It's called Speaker of the Dead if you're interested.

The reason I liked the book was probably because I felt like I could relate to the main character, but nonetheless it's also a story that was turned into a movie. Normally, stories that are turned into movies are good, which this is. It ain't realistic fiction, but it's great.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Alpha Wolfy

Alpha Wolfy Nocturnal VIP

The perks of being a wallflower.

Edit: Also, Looking for Alaska. Both of these books are kinda coming-of-age tales and have quite interesting tales and lessons. They feature story arcs with the main character(s) coming to terms with reality (Both characters being somewhat sheltered from it at the beginning of the books.)

Other novels:
    The Giver
    Speak
    The Great Gatsby
    The outsiders
    The beautiful and the damned
    The catcher in the rye

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

[​IMG]

Probably the only great book that was assigned for school. Btw, this book has one famous reference still used in many shows. "Big Brother"

I think Jim Carrey also starred in a movie something like the book, not as intense but just as freaky tho.

Under The Dome is also a long af book too you could try.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Solid Anunoby

Solid Anunoby VIP Silver

You like books about military?
    If so, I recommend this:
    [​IMG]
    OR
    [​IMG]
    Both riveting stories about people in wartime.

I also recommend animal farm.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. paper

paper legends never die VIP Silver

read a bible, sinz

12. Sith Master

Sith Master An individual may die, but the Sith are eternal Banned Gold VIP Emerald

Consider reading the great "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy

[​IMG]
    Its only 1,225 pages long

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Pandora?

Pandora? Alcoholic in Training VIP Silver

[​IMG]
    This book is a little more popular so there's a chance you read it. In case you haven't, basically a girl sends a tape to 13 people explaining how each of them are somehow one of the reasons she decided to commit suicide. I thought it was pretty interesting with it switching between the main guy (tbh I didn't care that much about him) and the girl and her side of why she decided to go through with it. I didn't explain it the best but please read it if you haven't.

[​IMG]
    Also, I'm not sure whether you know of books written in verse but they are basically books that are poems right. In this book's case each page is a poem but it's nothing too flowery where you have to analyze each line in order to understand what's going on. Don't worry if 8-10 year old me could understand it you can too. If you haven't read a book in verse before then this might be a little something out of your comfort zone but it's one of my favorites. It's about a girl (again haha) who is pretty much a goody-two shoes but when she moves with her dad she starts developing an alter-ego. This gets her into drugs and much much more. Something I thought that was interesting was that this was loosely based off the author's daughter. This is actually part of a trilogy, but I haven't read them and I still enjoyed just this book standalone.

I just really love these books and wanted to share them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Kyogre

Kyogre Ayuda VIP Silver

Wait, you read??? don't kill me

As for me, I definitely gotta say you give the Grapes of Wrath a read.

[​IMG]

It's really a personal favorite of mine and it's pretty well-known. I'm more of a person who likes to feel connected with the characters in a book, and this one does that pretty well. I don't know, even though the time period this is set in might be different, just knowing/imagining the economic struggles people had to go through just boggles my mind. I mean, even then I can't fully comprehend now what it's like to not have much personal belongings on you. Being part of a family who's gone through these stages throughout the generations is very much a blessing in my opinion, and I can't express my gratitude to my parents enough for giving me what I have.

This book made me realize the hardships that exist while under pressure to find a good job, and like I said, it also made me a lot more grateful for the things I have all thanks to my hard-working mother. Try it out, you just might learn a few things.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Muffin

Muffin Fresh Baked VIP

Although most of the book is incredibly boring, my favorite book that we read in class would definitely have to be "Moby Dick". Only the last third of the book is an actual story however, and I would recommend skipping to the last third or so when the story starts, because most of the book explains the parts of the whaling ships and whaling in general.

I can also thank my schooling for introducing me to "The Giver" which is a book probably everybody knows, but still, that's definitely a favorite.

When it comes to political writings as "1984" was mentioned above, I really liked "Animal Farm" also written by Orwell. It's an allegory of communism, and if you like history, specifically post WWII, then I think you would find this interesting and enjoyable.

I also have read George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. Great read. Funny, witty, complex, loads of drama, yadda yadda yadda.

I love to read, but unfortunately, I haven't read a whole lot simply because not many books have gotten my attention. I'd like to change that though.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jaysu

Jaysu BAMF VIP

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Rek

Rek Ø

Honestly, I really enjoyed the Star Wars series (the ones a few years after EP 6), Eragon series, and Pendragon. I haven't read these in awhile, but I remember LOVING them.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kythol

Kythol ok Moderator VIP

Divergent trilogy + spinoff book (aptly named Four)
    Hunger Games trilogy (if you haven't already, what are you doing with your life)
    As I Lay Dying
    Endgame: The Calling + Sky Key (3rd book coming later this year) ABSOLUTE MUST

Also, if you are into a different form of reading, I highly suggest the "Heroes Rise" trilogy and sequel "The Hero Project" by Zachary Sergi, which are a series of iPhone apps/steam games/in browser Choose Your Own Adventure games which have an absolutely outstanding story. I go back and give them a read through every month or so and enjoy them just as much each time.

These can get a little unrealistic (except for As I Lay Dying, Faulkner is easily my favorite author of all time and he roots his stories in some form of history). Even so, they are fantastic reads.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Sinz

Sinz crumble VIP Silver

Fahrenheit 451

Censorship, today.

"Adaptation of the Ray Bradbury novel about a future society that has banned all reading material and the job of the firemen is to keep the fires at 451 degrees: the temperature that paper burns. A fireman begins to re-think his job when he meets a book-loving girl.

Guy Montag is a fireman who burns books in a futuristic American city. In Montag’s world, firemen start fires rather than putting them out. The people in this society do not read books, enjoy nature, spend time by themselves, think independently, or have meaningful conversations. Instead, they drive very fast, watch excessive amounts of television on wall-size sets, and listen to the radio on “Seashell Radio” sets attached to their ears."

[​IMG]

The irony in this book is that it's been banned in schools before.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Salem

Salem VIP

The Quarantine series
    1. The loners
    2. The saints
    3. The Burnouts
    4. The Giant