An Approach to "Harassment"

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by My Dime Is Up, May 24, 2020.

1. Hongo

Hongo VIP

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Hongo

Hongo VIP

I mean yeah, a lot of them were just Sticky being petty but, he is bringing attention to certain things that needed to be said and have yet to be addressed in an open, discreet manner.

• Old Old x 1
  3. Adlactor Nell

Adlactor Nell Advertiser Friendly, Right out of the box! VIP

yeah but imo the way he did it didn't help his case at all, it prolly turned him into a meme

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Hongo

Hongo VIP

Regardless, I respect him for reporting the whole lead admin team, something that is LONG overdue if you ask me. If I tried to do that, I'd be banned LMAO

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  5. Adlactor Nell

Adlactor Nell Advertiser Friendly, Right out of the box! VIP

If there are any issues with the administration then by all means report them, but to do it in the same way that sticky did or by just spam reporting is just doing a disservice to the community, there were better ways to address it and get a better outcome

6. Noccam :^)

Noccam :^) Regular Member

You would be banned because you are crazy Hongo, none of us have forgotten lol. This is a voluntary server forum website, not an infringement on human rights.

7. Hongo

Hongo VIP

Actually its a video game forum, and staff have protocol to follow. Putting words in other peoples mouths and then banning them for it is not in the protocol, and if it is, I want it discreetly announced for everyone to see.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. Hongo

Hongo VIP

I'm tired of all the reports. I want a discussion, where all the staff talk about whats going on, why theres been so many reports (Even besides stickys little tirade) against the staff team, what they're doing wrong, and how it can be fixed, and who needs to go.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. RhazhBash

RhazhBash Professional Button Presser VIP

You might wanna reread my verdict on the report against slaps. It was only valid against Ethen.

Anyways I agree that punishing harassment outside of regular protocol should be saved either for severe cases or repeat offenders. When I handled the report against slaps, the amount of harassment I saw would have gotten him a warning at most if it happened while I was on the server, and I didn't change anything about that just because it was a forum report.

I know a lot of people don't want to be told to man up when they get harassed, but we're getting to the point where some players are basically weaponizing reports. If you try hard enough you can find something that can be called harassment from anyone, and we shouldn't be enabling petty harassment reports. There's a reason harassment is left up to the discretion of the staff member handlng it, and to be honest if people are going to use harassment protocol as a way to find something to report for instead of a way to keep people from bothering them then staff absolutely should stop punishing for minor offenses of harassment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hongo

Hongo VIP

How do you define 'repeat offenders' though? Like, if someone is banned on an excessive punishment outside of regular protocol, would they be considered an offender?

We have rules for a reason, my dude. You shouldn't NEED to 'try hard enough' to find anything, you should refer to the rulebook instead of making them up on the fly and then banning people based on your own biases. From what I've seen in the past month, the rule book has been essentially thrown out the window and Admins+ have been making their own conclusions up.

You guys seriously need to have a discreet dialogue with the community about this, instead of making us spam the report page with reports regarding the piddliest little shits. Half of the harassment reports aren't even legitimate, they're being used by loopholers to get people banned because you guys (Staff) are enabling them the power to do this.

11. Noccam :^)

Noccam :^) Regular Member

While I agree with you, discreetly announced is not what you want. Lol, same Hongo as always good to see you again you crazy mfer

12. Nathan776

Nathan776 Administrator Administrator VIP Silver

There's a variety of things that can be dissected about the current way harassment is handled.

I agree that people need to have thicker skin. Not everything is some big deal. A guy posted this/ a guy posted that - it makes me look bad/ it makes me feel bad. Like seriously some of the things we deal with are so minor - people just need to get over it.

A lot of the reports recently on the forums are purely just for attention. "YO GUYS I DISAGREE WITH THIS". Like that's great and all, why do you need to report for it. At least try and talk to the guy first. If you aren't getting anywhere with that and still feel the punishment received is egregious , feel free to report them or even explain the situation to me and I'll try and talk to the staff member. * Like seriously one week we had 30 forum reports (posts/content) when the average is around 5 per week.

A lot of communities don't typically allow for specific discussions on their forums. In particular politics draws ire from almost everyone involved. I disagree personally with such discussion being on the forums/discord as I believe it just invokes users to harass each other. That being said since it is allowed on SGM, you should expect tensions in these threads to be higher in comparison to other threads. It seems silly to me that we invite topics which are likely to cause differentiating opinions and then punish people for minor things said on these threads.

Lastly, the staff team needs to learn to adapt and learn to be in sync with one another. The easiest way to do this is simply by talking more. Heck if there is a report on the forum the staff team should go, "Hey, lets discuss this" so that we can come to a singular opinion. When changing rules we typically will get a consensus opinion on what the issue with the current rule is and how to adapt it to suit the community the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Pokeben10

Pokeben10 tell me pretty lies Moderator VIP Silver

I’m actually curious to see how this specific part of the report will be handled.

14. Solar

Solar El Dorado VIP

People need to have some balls and also remember that this is just a gaming community.

These harassment reports are fucking petty.

P.S. if I get warned for this comment pls kys.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Timo654

Timo654 EU BEST VIP Silver

did you just say kys? I am very offended by that.

I'm going to report you now

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Hongo

Hongo VIP

100 fucking percent. And staff need to stop enabling them to do this

17. Hongo

Hongo VIP

I mean, the fact of the matter is that the people who do report for 'harassment' are in fact toxic players themselves. Go ahead, you're staff, go look at their ban history. These are guys who DO use slurs in game, RDM, et cetera. Why is it then that staff are punishing the reported people with zero leniency, while enabling and actually playing into the hand of toxic players who are loopholing the rules and using you to get people banned?

I need you (The staff team) to address this discreetly so we can all see your thoughts, because if we're being punished and banned for multiple weeks for some phantom rule that makes no sense, then we have the right to know

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Nathan776

Nathan776 Administrator Administrator VIP Silver

If you are reported on the forums, as in the lil report button at the bottom of your posts - administrators are notified that the content has been reported for your inputted reason and we are obliged to respond to the report.

We get a mixture of reporters, it isn't a case of the people who report content have colorful ban histories. A fair few have very few bans at all.

As for leniency, there are a large amount of cases where we do rule that the offense is so minor that we don't punish the player or in some cases the player is warned. Alongside this a fair few of the reports are just false altogether.
    While I believe you are trying to refer to the staff team in the latter part of the post, I don't believe I've personally played into the hand of any toxic players with the warning points I've handed out. This might be a better question for some other people.

There isn't a hidden rule or anything that we use for punishing players on the forum. The bans usually will follow the warning point procedure. This helps to dictate the length of bans based on the amount of active warning points a user has. On rare occasions a user may have to be banned outright or have specific privileges revoked if what they have done is considered to be severe enough.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  19. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

Some people are victims of two idiots having a feud

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  20. My Dime Is Up

My Dime Is Up Its my dime to code VIP

https://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/report-against-pacifist.55742/

Instead of saying "this is silly" and closing it. Tell the person to cut it the fuck out. Seriously this shit is just annoying. Give them a warning point. By just saying "this is silly" we are allowing people to make stupid reports just to have them closed and marked invalid because they know they won't suffer any consequences or punishments.

• Agree Agree x 3