Admins Shouldn't Have Discretion To Allow Forgiving Of Themselves

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by Aarow, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

Isn't this the EXACT reason we don't use the forgiveness option? The problem with this is the same problem we face when we let players forgive eachother. What if diekasta caused an RDM train and made alot of people lose their karma? Normal players are held accountable for this, would he have been? I have nothing against diekasta and think hes a GREAT lead admin, I'm pretty sure he would have slain himself if he caused a train. I trust his judgement to know when it's appropriate to joke around and bend the rules. The issue is that staff members need to hold themselves to a higher standard, why is he allowed to RDM his friends when that's the main argument against the forgive option? Removing discretion wouldn't be a great solution but I think arrow has a point. We don't want friends killing eachother and forgiving because it ruins the gameplay and can cause everyones karma to go down. I think having a stricter policy on when you can be forgiven should be enforced by the leads, but that's about it. Last time I checked, the servers were supposed to be fun and in order when admins are on, not chaotic memefests with admins killing eachother and fucking the game up for others (that's for the staff party servers or whatever they're called).

Edit: Just wanna say I don't think diekasta needs to hold himself to a higher standard or anything. It was just that one example that I think shouldn't really be allowed

Edit: to all the people saying "ITS JUST A GAME" ok then let me rdm my friends dammit

last edit i swear: i think sgm does a great job and the only time I ever have a problem with the management is when people are treated differently based on nothing but popularity. Letting people get away with things while others get punished for teh same is bullshit and I'll stand against it every time (this kinda fits the bill)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. .shirt

.shirt VIP

Hit the head on the nail right there @MangoTango

Right is right and wrong is wrong.

Let me have my crowbar fights with my friends and not get slain, then i wont care about admins rdming eachother.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Aarow

Aarow VIP

During the promotion the server was literally just staff fucking around, which is entirely different than normal.

Also, if that was the normal, then from now on, according to you, players can RDM friends and not be slain. I agree with shirt and Mango and Rebel, hypocrisy is the one thing I hate most in life. Right now, it's "do as I say, not as I do." I expected better of you, Rick.

4. davidues

davidues VIP Bronze

Just saying that the promotion was a special ocasion where everyone was having fun. We got fun rounds and sum special spicy rdm round with 2k HP and explosive weapons. Don't use a single time ocasion (celebration) as an example of staff rdming each other and forgiving themselves because they're friends. If that was happening on a regular basis, then it would be totally understandable to criticise them and have their discretion taken away, but they haven't really abused it and aren't being hypocritic about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jässa

Jässa Thick thighs save lives VIP

Isnt it fine because staff have better control over themselves/are more trustworthy together with our TTT standards? I havent seen a case where admin/lead admin forgives staff member and then staff member next round RDMs again likewise.

The problem with
    is that staff would no longer have control over how many rounds get ruined if any player could forgive any friend. If a staff member RDMs like in case of Rick/Diekasta, you can be very sure that Diekasta is not going to RDM Rick over and over and Rick is going to forgive over and over leading to multiple rounds overall being greatly affected during normal TTT play. However when it came to random players, theres no guarantee in how many rounds they are going to RDM eachother and forgive, they might as well at that point not be playing TTT if they continue crowbar fighting for no reason.
    Im sure most staff members dont really care much that you had your random crowbar fight with a friend once but since they cant be really sure how often it will happen in future, just to be on the safe side they are going to slay you.

Also for future if you really want to crowbar fight your friends, instead of shooting them when you have their DNA from innocent body/they did T act and are you sure they are a T, just ask them to crowbar fight in chat saying you know they are a T. If they really are your friend they are going to accept the challenge. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Emily❤

Emily❤ The strongest light is the one within VIP Silver Emerald

I mean a reason crowbar fights shouldn't be allowed for everyone is that if a staff joins after it happened and looked into the logs there would be no way for them to see if that was agreed on or not which would mean there could lead to false bans and appeals does take time for the staff which is kinda wasted just to clear up it.
    Also saying right is right and wrong is wrong is kinda not true. The difference on staff having fun and RDM their friend once is that they know that nobody had a problem with it and can therefor safely give themself discretion. They have the power because they are trusted to not do it too much and for example myself had fun with HMF back when I was mod and I never saw a problem that we could fuck with each other a round and use disc to not slay.
    It shouldn't be seen as a problem that admins can use their power to have fun for one round as long as everyone involved is okay with it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

The post is literally about people having problems with staff RDMing each other on purpose and having problems with it.

Maybe staff need to have more picnics or their own special events where they can mess around and not have to worry about being poor examples for players on the servers. If they are truly held to a higher standard then show it; slay yourself when you RDM on purpose.

Self accountability is something the staff team has always struggled with and, while it may not be a problem right now, can eventually lead to poor outcomes and bad professional attitudes when someone is held accountable by usually the owner. I've seen it happen multiple times since I've been here; nearly every year. Don't let being friends keep you from holding yourself accountable. Ask yourself if it were two regular players doing it, how you would act.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Emily❤

Emily❤ The strongest light is the one within VIP Silver Emerald

I mean taking it like that means that staff shouldn't be able to have any fun that could in any way come of as a poor example. I never got disc to get out of slays when I was mod where I could have because I didn't think it would be fair when I should have known better but that shouldn't mean that staff could have some fun. Also your reason is that it's a poor example but I have never seen players think that what they did was a bad example nor that they should do it them self. Most that is unhappy is because staff have the power to do it, not that it happens so much. I never said it is something that should be done a lot but again I never see this happening to a extent I would say is a problem.

9. Zack

Zack Shepherd of Fire VIP

There's nothing about being held accountable that's a problem here. The thread is about the act of asking forgiveness, which is pretty cut and dry. This is not something that is exclusive to staff, regular players get forgiven all the time, the fact of the matter is, it's not usually the players asking about it. This is probably my least favorite element of staffing at SGM. People expect everyone and everything to be so.. Serious™.