The Grace Period

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by DocFox, Jul 5, 2015.

?

The Grace Period should be:

1. 6+ Seconds

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. 5 Seconds

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  3. 4 Seconds

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. 3 Seconds

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  5. 2 Seconds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

After some thought, I wanted to see what everyone's input is on the 5-second rule. This was brought recently in this thread.

The majority of the community knows what the Grace Period is; that if a player shoots and kills a traitor, there is a 5 second period in which they may be killed after they identify the body. I'm sure there are a few community members that are still around from when the Grace Period was developed.

I know there have been times when multiple people watch me kill someone, ID them as traitor and 4 seconds or so later, someone starts to shoot me. All at the same time as players mowing them down or yelling over the mic that I was proven and asking them what they were doing.

Given the fact that we never really chose what to base the grace period off of, other than the possible reaction time for the average player and no analytical data, I just wanted to share a few links.

Gaming reaction time with input lag: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag
    Average human reaction time: http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/statistics
    Test your own reaction speed: http://www.humanbenchmark.com

In comparison to the allowed grace period, the gaming reaction time is minuscule. I think we should take analytical data into account when coming up with a better grace period.

As far as implementing it so the regular players know it, it'd be like any other rule change that has happened in the past. We could even add it into the server rules to look something like this:

[​IMG]

Adding it to the server rules so players would see it upon joining would allow all regulars to see it and adjust accordingly, as well as notifying new players that may not even be aware of the 5 second rule. You may ask what if these new players get upset when they are slain for such an instance. Well, more often than not, new players are simultaneously on both sides of a report; the occasional regular being on the reported side for a 1 or 2 second kill after IDing. A new player will report, "RDM; he was a T; I ID'd him" after getting killed around 5 seconds from IDing a traitor they killed. The other new player would then be like, "I didn't know" and still get let off and not learn to control their trigger finger a little more due to the long 5 seconds that the current grace period allows.

I feel that a 3-4 second or less grace period revision may be something to think about. Changing this will increase everyone's skill level; keeping regulars on their toes and getting new players to strive to be better. We all know that a lot can happen in 1 second.

Thank you for your consideration!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    • Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Those research. Much Advisor tags. Such font.

My opinion? 5 seconds is a long time, and less than a second can make a big difference in the game. That being said, +1 for 3 seconds. That should give every regular player enough time to react

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MrEvanJ

MrEvanJ On my grave I want VIP not RIP VIP

I see what you are talking about but here's the thing, a lot of people don't play TTT like crazy and only graze over the rules. So they know they can kill for curtain things but not others. I think 5 seconds is fine because not everyone can piece everything together. Generally when I play games and I'm not with friends I actually pay close attention to things but not everyone does. I think the 5 seconds should stay, I get its not human reaction time but it still is a reasonable enough time for someone to understand what's going on and choose to kill or to let it go.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Pirateer

Pirateer The Archbishop of Banterbury Supporter

5. CDriscoll

CDriscoll Lemme advise you VIP Bronze

I don't support this change. The rule has been fine for as long as I can remember, and if anything has to be done, I think adding the current rule into the !motd would be enough.

5 seconds allows ample time for those who are new to process information, and also veteran players who just take longer than some. Most of the input that has been given on these threads comes from very experienced players who are speaking for players who they cannot relate to. From my experience, newer players often get tunnelvision when they witness someone shooting at a traitor and often get carried away with hunting the player down, and with the 5 second rule, there is not as much margin for RDM as there is with the 3 second rule.

That's just how I see it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. While I like the idea of faster reaction times, I feel that some of the websites that you linked cant really be used as effective control groups for a test such as this.

TTT is an extremely complex game mode with a lot more going on than needing to react to a color change from green to red. With all the gunfire, players running around, map terrain, etc, along with server latency, your reaction time will be much slower than a simple human reaction test. Just as CD said, I feel the way it is now allows for players to process information and not feel rushed or scared to pull the trigger on someone who just killed someone.

Also, I don't really see this rule being abused very often, but when I do, I make note of players who kill because they can in a scenario like this and try to catch them in the act. As you all know, people who abuse our rules to RDM without being slain are met with extremely harsh punishment.

I feel, if anything, it would be harder to catch people who abuse this 5 second rule with a shorter time frame, because it would be harder to judge whether or not they killed because they thought that person killed someone, or because they thought they could get away with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. DocFox

By the looks of what we're getting, 4 seconds could be an easy average middle ground. However, this post is still in its infancy.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. CDriscoll

CDriscoll Lemme advise you VIP Bronze

I don't see a need to find an average middle ground, and I feel as if we should just stick with 5 seconds for the reasons I stated above.

Simply put, we shouldn't fix what isn't broken.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. DocFox

I don't think that me getting killed 5 seconds after me identifying the body of a traitor and that being okay is something that isn't broken.

I understand there has to be some leniency, but I feel that there is a little more leniency than needed when it comes to this kind of rule.

I guess when we first developed the rule it should have been decided upon to be less than 5 seconds. We just picked a time that was one of the first suggested times. Someone suggested that it be 5ish seconds and we all liked it so we just made it so. We approved of he idea of the grace period, but never really looked into the time frame.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. Zypther

Zypther #SuitUp VIP Bronze Iron

Truly a test to actually create the avg. For the time should be something like a timed math or something like the type in order to test. Maybe you can post it above the shoutbox box for people to take to create the avg of the community.

11. BlueCore

BlueCore Onward and Upward Banned VIP

Unfortunately, I cannot say I like this idea. Whilst five seconds can seem like a long time, in the grand scheme of things it's next to nothing. I'm not sure how much thought exactly has been put on the circumstances and situations players are put in when seeing someone kill/identify a Traitor. I myself, just last night, killed another player whom had IDed a Traitors body 4-5 seconds before. Whilst this player only killed the Traitor, there were other bodies around, and when he IDed the body the top right of my screen was filled with Names and Innocents. In the confusion of trying to work out what happened, I shot him thinking he was also a Traitor. If the Grace Period was moved to three seconds, I would have to slay myself for that incident. So I ask myself, is this a good thing..? Quite simply, no, it isn't. Whilst I'm not the greatest player ever; anyone who plays with me regularly knows that, I am a decent player, with experience, who has hundreds upon hundreds of hours on here. If it's taking veteran players up to four seconds, that extra second for newer players if not only desired, but needed. I will not be happy handing out additional slays because a player was "RDMed I killed a Traitor!", the player who killed him show himself, they know the risks of doing that. Sure, it's unfortunate that another Innocent got a little confused in all the action and killed them, but it's not enough to constitute slaying them.

I'm sorry Mango, but I cannot support this idea.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Steven

Steven VIP Silver

The grace period is going to remain at 5 seconds, we are not going to change this rule as a change in rules may affect players and staff members negatively. Players who are not aware of this rule change will be slain more times than the usual amount as they are following old rules.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.