Your opinion on this build

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by project, Sep 17, 2016.

1. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

I assume you're going for a gaming rig more so than a workstation rig... Is 256 GB gonna be enough? I mean, If you want to download anymore than maybe 5 or 6 steam games at a time, you could run into some space issues. I'd get a second drive myself. Use the PCIe SSD for your OS, then get a mechanical drive dedicated for your steam library, and you should be fine.

2. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

4 x 3 = 12
    You can get 3 4 gig sticks

3. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

I don't know any packages that'd come with that. Not to mention with dimm slots, you're better off buying them in multiples of 2 personally.

4. Bogdanoff

Bogdanoff VIP

12 gigs is possible. You can have 3x4, or 1x8 and 1x4.

5. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

This was already established earlier on. Also, with dimm slots, it's generally not a good idea to try and leave either one spot open, or to mix memory of different kinds. (From my understanding)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bogdanoff

Bogdanoff VIP

Correct, optimal is 2 or 4 slots. You can mix memory, provided their CAS Latency is the same, their frequenecy is the same (i think, not 100% sure), you can for sure have the same type of ram but in varying amounts (e.g 2x4 and 2x8 of the same brand)

7. project

project VIP

Newer games are using more and more RAM as they are released. Also, as the person under you said, RAM is quite cheap. You can get 16GB (DDR4) for as low as $70 these days.

You can get 4GB sticks as well, and three of them would equal 12GB.

I have a second 256GB SSD in my old PC. I will install and format it once I get everything setup.

8. News Network

News Network broken Banned VIP

Okaaaaaaaaay, this RAM confusion; Yeah, you can get 12GB of RAM, for optimal speeds you want to dual channel your RAM though, if you're having three sticks of 4GB RAM, depending on if your mobo supports flex mode or not (I haven't looked up to see if yours does) it may be forced to run in single channel, which whilst not making much noticeable difference, you won't be smacking the full potential out your RAM which is obviously what you want to be doing, I guess. However, as long as the RAM is running the same frequency and is the same manufacturer (not always required but it's for the best) then you should be good to go. In regards to the storage problem, you'll have 512GB of ssd storage, I'd recommend you use this for you OS and games, then eventually buy a secondary mechanical drive just for movies, personal files etc, I'm pretty sure you'll already know this though. In all seriousness though you could have saved a couple of bucks on not going for the PCIe SSD as you're never going to notice the difference between this and a standard sata 3 2.5" SSD. There is a number of bottlenecks in place which'll stop that SSD running to it's full potential. However, it is kinda future proofing so it isn't a bad choice to go with either.

Overall for it's budget it's a nice build and will last you a good couple of years. People will also moan about the psu you went for saying that it's built with cheap parts.. it's a psu. Simple as that. No matter what psu you get it could blow the day you get it it could blow 5 years down the line or never, The only issue I have with that is the 550w, I would've recommended a 650/750w just incase you want to OC massively and upgrade further in future. The current prices of PSU's are dropping massively though so it wouldn't be an issue upgrading that when needed tbf.

tl;dr u r k and ur new pc is gunna be ok too

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sage.

Sage. VIP Silver Emerald

If you plan on playing games in 1080 then stick with the 1060, you'll be able to play every game with at least non-advanced settings on the highest setting. Especially if you have to give up the i7, it's starting to become a requirement.

EDIT: I'm here with a 970 and still running strong - even poorly optimized games (usually PC ports) can run on max non-advanced settings with more than playable FPS.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. fateburn

fateburn 自分のためが VIP

CPU Intel Pentium Dual Core G4400 Skylake
    Motherboard MSI H110M PRO-VH
    RAM KLEVV DDR4 1x8GB Value Series 2133MHz CL15
    HDD
    WD Blue 1TB
    Case ANTEC VSK3000B-U3 Mini-Tower Case
    PSU Corsair VS450 450W 80+ Power Supply

This is my build i can run fallout 4 maximun setting 120fps 4k 1440p

By the way, du har dålig smak av musik

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. project

project VIP

I went with a 1070 and kept i7 6700. The 1060 is fine as well and should give you at least 60 FPS in newer games with the highest settings.

12. project

project VIP

Which GPU do you have?

13. Ciibear

Ciibear VIP

Damn those words look techy, I really shouldn't be here as I fucking suck when it comes to building PC hence why mine is unable to load Chrome..

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

Everything looks great. You'll get solid performance for years to come.

Now, I'm an Intel guy, but if budget is your concern, I highly recommend the FX-9590.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It runs a lot cooler under load, and it's $140 cheaper.

edit: just stay with intel

I made a build with that CPU a few months back, and was surprised that the radiator was pushing cold air during heavy CPU load (gaming).

If you decide to stay with intel, another thing to note would be your ram speed. Although you won't "feel" a difference, you could always get higher speed (3000) LINK. Whether it's worth the extra $30 is up to you.

M.2 is wonderful, I've got the 950 pro 512. The best part about it is a cleaner build. no need to reroute the sata or power cables. Like thistle said, get a 2-4TB drive to store all of your LEGALLY DOWNLOADED movies and stuff

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  15. project

project VIP

I did consider this and looked at various benchmarks on different DDR4 speeds. The higher clock speeds did not seem to have a large effect in terms of performance in games.

Keep in mind that higher clock speed is followed by an increase in latency. You can get RAM at 3000MHz clock speed and CAS 15 latency which would be faster, but that would cost me an additional $30-40.