Your opinion on this build

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by project, Sep 17, 2016.

1. project

project VIP

So recently my PC burned and I am currently looking to purchase a new PC. I ordering the PC through a store that builds custom PC's. They have a variety of pre-built PC's which they let you customize to some extent, meaning that the changes that you can make are of components that still work with the build as a whole.

I considered building it myself but they currently have a sale and offer extended service, which results in the PC only costing an additional $100 as compared to if I was to buy all the components and build it myself.

MB: MSI Z170-A Pro, Socket-1151
    CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 Skylake Processor
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual Fan
    PSU: Corsair CX550M, 550W PSU
    RAM: Kingston ValueRam DDR4 2133MHz 16GB (CL15)
    HDD: Samsung PM951 256GB PCIe SSD M.2 PCIe

Price: $1250

I tried to keep the build as cheap as possible while still getting decent performance. The prices in my country are a little more expensive compared to the US as we have 25% VAT.

Let me know what you think :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Bogdanoff

Bogdanoff VIP

Only thing I would change is the i7 to an i5, and use the spare money to upgrade the GPU to a 1070.
    Other than that it looks great!

Also, you should it build it by yourself, its a great experience!

And change that PSU for a Seasonic or spend extra for a gold edition. CX has shit capictors.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. project

project VIP

I considered this as well but due to these being pre-configured and them having a sale, I would only save about $100 downgrading to i5. The real price difference is about $150 which made me stick to the i7.

Regarding the 1070, the price difference between them is close to $250 here. That is the real price difference and not if I change it through this pre-configured build, which would cost anywhere from $300 and above. Seeing as GPU's get rather large updates every 2-3 years, I thought it would be more wise to just upgrade the 1060 whenever it starts to have problems with newer games.

4. Bogdanoff

Bogdanoff VIP

I really really recommend the 1070, even a second hand one. 1060 won't last you as long.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. project

project VIP

The problem is that even with downgrading to i5, it would cost me anywhere between $150-200 extra upgrading to a 1070. I am trying to go keep the total price as low as possible right now, and for i7 and GTX 1060 $1250 is not extremely much in my country due to 25% VAT. I completely agree with you that the 1070 is better, though. I just feel more comfortable keeping the 1060 for now and then upgrading it as time goes, probably in the next 2-3 years. The only resource intensive games that I will be playing is GTA 5 and BF1, which run fine on 1060 with i7 according to benchmarks.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  6. Bogdanoff

Bogdanoff VIP

I said 1070, not a 1080.

7. project

project VIP

I know, but 25% VAT makes everything better. The price for 1070 here is close to a 1080 in the US, perhaps $50-100 less.

EDIT: Oh, I see that I wrote 1080 in my previous post. I meant 1070.

8. Bogdanoff

Bogdanoff VIP

Fucking commie taxes..

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. project

project VIP

Luckily the 25% VAT is on top of 50% income taxes. We sure do love taxes here.

You can see the full build here:
    https://www.komplett.dk/komplett-gamer-premium-i40-gtx1060-edition/11146

To customize and see prices, click "TILPAS PC'EN".

The only difference is that my order will come with a MSI instead, as they recently went out of stock. I could probably ask for the EVGA as they haven't started building it yet, but according to reviews that exact EVGA has bad temperature because of the fan solution.

10. Bogdanoff

Bogdanoff VIP

Too much communism for me.. anyway nice. If you're happy I guess.

11. project

project VIP

I was trying to be sarcastic, these taxes make me the very opposite of happy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. elyo-luk

elyo-luk VIP

I think it's a good PC. If I had to make a suggestion, I would recommend change the PSU (Corsair CX550M is about 74 € in Spain) to an Enermax Revolution X´t II 550W 80 Plus Gold Modular (About 84 € in Spain). For only 10 € more you'll have better performance :D

13. dugi

dugi Member

Don't get a GTX 1060 if you're planning to play upcoming games, it's not gonna pull out enough juice.
    A 1070 should do the job!

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Salisian

Salisian An unbroken series of successful gestures VIP

I'm always a little nervous about having a SSD as the only physical drive, especially one that's so small. If you know how to manage windows components to minimize writes to the SSD, it's *probably* fine, but I've always suggested a 1-2 TB HD in addition, especially for programs/folders with frequent writes (such as the windows user folder, browser caches, etc)

I know, SSDs aren't the special snowflakes they once were, crying for mommy after a few disk writes, but... once burned, twice shy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. dugi

dugi Member

As Salisian said, I must add that putting games and any other program that writes a lot on the drive will eventually reduce your SSD's life span.
    My personal opinion for you is to get a 128GB SSD and use it for placing O.S and basic programs only, while placing games on a simple 7200rpm HDD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. project

project VIP

I have an additional 256GB SSD from my old PC. I will most likely add it once I get everything up and running.

17. dugi

dugi Member

Then It'd be perfect @project. Never use the same SSD for both O.S and games!

18. project

project VIP

I decided to go with the 1070 instead and upgraded the PSU to CX650M, including a nicer case. It ended up costing me an additional $285, about $1540 in total.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

y not 8 or 12 gigs instead

20. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

In my experience, maybe next to a power supply, Ram is the cheapest part of the case. And it's very difficult to really get wrong at all. Toning down the ram wouldn't really help too much.

Also, I'm pretty sure 12 gigs would be impossible... Right? I don't know of any 2x6 purchase options myself.