World of Warcraft thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by ArcticFox29, Jan 11, 2016.

?

Alliance or Horde?

1. Alliance

22.9%
  2. Horde

25.7%
  3. Both

24.3%
  4. Brb gonna go play League

27.1%
  1. swagrid

swagrid current status "not okay" VIP

I remember begging my mother to talk me to the launch of burning crusade because i had to be the first person to make a blood elf. They are the only race ill ever play from the horde. My main is a lvl 100 night elf hunter. You young ones dont know the struggle of trying to get raid gear in bc.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ArcticFox29

ArcticFox29 Creator of lag. Silver

You young ones don't know the struggle of raiding in vanilla. ;)

3. Emtech2

Emtech2 The worst ones always live VIP Silver Emerald

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Mudpluggs

Mudpluggs VIP

Do any of you fine folk play on oceanic realms?

Just got back into the game after watching the movie yesterday (they gave me a copy of the game, all expansions and a month free with my ticket (which only cost $3.35 - not too shabby))

Cheers

5. ArcticFox29

With Legion out, how is everyone liking it?

I adored some of the quests, especially the protection and retribution paladin artifact weapon quests. So many feelings all at once...
    I completed my destruction warlock and marksmanship hunter artifact quests, but I just didn't feel the same connection. Well, until I took my hunter artifact to the Undercity to pay Lady Sylvanas a visit. She gives unique dialogue, as the artifact is a Windrunner heirloom. Made me smile a bit.

I did find a video on 5 WoW addons I haven't seen.
    Normally, I use very practical addons: Auction House prices, recount, auto-accept mail, a mailing list with all of my alts on it... things I actually need to make my life easier. But the ones in the video are really made to enrich your playing experience, which I found very interesting. I have yet to try any of them, but I honestly really want to.

This dude also makes pretty great machinimas.

6. Ravin

Ravin Determination VIP

All the addons you mentioned and you didn't mention the most important one of them all.

Deadly Boss Mods.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. ArcticFox29

I could not live without DBM, I'm surprised I forgot it :eek: I get so used to having it on current content that I go back and install all of the earlier versions as well for when I run legacy raids haha. And of course it's now useful at Darkmoon Faire even.

Edit: I decided to add some more addons to my list. So here's some of my new ones/old ones I haven't mentioned.

Storyline: okay, this is obviously the first thing mentioned in the video, but after installing it, I realized how valuable it is. It was hard for me to get into reading the whole huge block of text each quest gave me. I just mindlessly accepted, completed the objective, and yay, money. But having the text scroll on its own a bit at a time really helps, and I actually read the quest dialogue now. And showing my character actively interacting with the NPC back and forth with emotes... My favorite addon hands down.

EpicMusicPlayer: plays music when you're in game. Small little window to skip/pause, with a 3D model of a blood elf with a guitar, playing along. Epic.

GryphonHeart Items: this one was in the video above, but I just find it so fascinating, and a bit intimidating at first. It gives you some example objects you can spawn, but honestly you can spawn a book to write in, and create nearly anything that you can trade with others who have the addon.

PetLeash: I just installed this one today. Spawns one of my companion pets when I'm not busy, and /says really funny and amusing things along with it. Can also set to dismiss pet upon stealthing.

Mount Journal Enhanced: better way to search through your mounts, and divide into categories.

SpeakinSpell: easy way to create macros of phrases your character will say upon using specific abilities.

Toy Box Enhanced: same as Mount Journal Enhanced, just organizes your journal.

TriviaBot: allows you to host trivia questions while you're idle, or in between boss fights.

Altoholic: best creation in all of mankind if you enjoy having several characters. Let's you know how much money each character has, if a character has expiring mail, what items your different toons have, and so much more.

MogIt: looking for pretty gear, but not knowing where to get it or what will look good? Basically gives you a list of armor, you can make a wishlist, and it tells you how to get them. You can also view yourself in it.

Postal: allows you to open all mail at once and take all of the items instantly. Good for Auction House happy individuals.

Rarity: hover over an NPC, and it'll tell you if it drops a mount, pet, or toy. It will also show you how many times you've killed it, out of the average number of times it takes people to get it.

Tongues: shown in the video, learn and speak other WoW languages.

Auctionator: hover over an item and it will show you what it goes for on AH.

And of course, NPC scanner is one I love, but it's self explanatory.

*All addons listed are on Curse.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  8. ArcticFox29

So there's some recent rumors that Nostalrius (vanilla WoW servers) may be coming back. They're apparently trying to loophole around and host it in countries that Blizzard can't shut them down legally. One day, I can only hope.

So if the rumors are true, even if it takes months or years to achieve, who's up for the challenge? ;)

I remember the struggles as a little 8yo hunter, trying to manage my budget to afford arrows and food for my pets, usually not successfully, going broke, and ending up with no pet and no arrows. Fail. I also remember the mobs were horrendous to try and tackle alone, which sucked, but I feel like it forced me to be social in the game and I made some friends during that time period who I'm still friends with currently. Love hate relationship, would definitely need to bring some people into the server with me if it comes back.

Extreme love-hate relationship with the earliest version of the game. Mostly hate, but I long to try it again.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter.

9. Emtech2

Emtech2 The worst ones always live VIP Silver Emerald

I doubt that the owner of Nostalrius would take the legal risk of hosting the servers after the original cease and desist letter.

If he was to host the servers again it is likely he would be charged with felony infringement of a copyright as the amount of copies of vanilla WoW Nostalrius distributed/distributes would amount to over $2,500 of lost sales to Activision Blizzard Inc. (See 18 U.S. Code § 2319(b)(1) - Criminal infringement of a copyright and 17 U.S. Code § 506(a)(1)(A) - Criminal offenses)

Moving the servers themselves would not be enough if the owner of Nostalrius lives in any country with an extradition treaty to the U.S. The WHOIS of Nostalrius.org (Official Site) shows the owner of the domain lives in France under the name of "Philippe Tortel". Provided this is not false information he would have to move to a different country as France has an extradition treaty with the United States. (See France Extradition Treaty with the United States)

Felony copyright infringement has been shown to be enough for extradition as seen in United States v. Kim Dotcom. Kim Dotcom was the owner of Megaupload. The U.S. alleges that Megaupload caused more than half a billion dollars in harm to copyright owners.
    Nostalrius claims to have had hundreds of thousands of players and ran for 1 year. That would estimate to be a minimum $20,000,000 of lost sales for Activision/Blizzard (Cost of game and one year of subscription for 100,000 members). That does not include other items like WoW tokens, pets, mounts, level boosts, etc. I am not aware if Nostalrius made money on the players of their server however, if they did that would be even more charges against Philippe Tortel.
    If you would like to read more about Megaupload and Kim Dotcom you can at the following links.
    https://www.justice.gov/usao-edva/release-victim-notification
    http://kim.com/
    http://kim.com/whitepaper.pdf
    Or search "United States v. Kim Dotcom, et al, Crim. No. 1:12CR3"

There is some good news for people looking for a vanilla WoW experience. Elysium Project recently tweeted that they have "some big plans and exciting news after blizzcon." Just keep in mind that if Elysium was to become the size of Nostalrius Activision/Blizzard would likely send a cease and desist letter and if the owner refused to shut it down follow through with legal charges.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. swagrid

swagrid current status "not okay" VIP

What they said was they are going to be hosting the servers in russia, so i guess blizzard cannot do anything about it.

side note: the new class mounts look sick; However, I still feel as if warriors are getting the short end of the stick once again

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ArcticFox29

Dude I love the Warrior mount.
    Not a fan of Pally or Warlock. Very underwhelming.
    Priest and Druid and DK... Sexy as fuck.

THE BRAWL BATTLEGROUND EVENTS, OMG. PLEASE. ZERO GRAVITY PVP? NO PROBLEM! The rest of the ideas were just as amazing. And the micro holidays!!!!! I got really into it.

12. fateburn

fateburn 自分のためが VIP

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ravin

Ravin Determination VIP

Just did a run of Return to Kara.

I must say, Blizzard really outdid themselves to breath life into that dungeon. It is absolutely amazing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ravin

Ravin Determination VIP

Reminder Trials of Valor unlocked today as well as the new Stormheim WQ's you can unlock.

15. ArcticFox29

This is actually pretty badass. I love seeing their armor every year. :love: Definitely something I'd love to be able to do.

16. ArcticFox29

Reminder for @AnarkisT and the rest of you still-subscribed WoW players: today, and for the next 2 weeks, is WoW's anniversary event! Check your mailboxes. You'll get a lovely gift of timewarped badge currency, a quest to a unique timewarped currency vendor for the anniversary, and an item that gives you an hour long buff to increase your experience and reputation gain by 12%. This is NOT a single use item. Use it as much as you want during the next two weeks. Haven't made it to 110 yet? This is probably going to make your life so much easier, lol. Need to farm old reputation for outdated WoD flying? Also a solid reason to use. I'm going to try and level up some of my alts. Note: each one of your characters gets this in their mail! Log into all of them!

17. Grim

Grim VIP

Main Level 106 Alliance DH Vengeance - Ravencrest
    2nd Main level 104 Horde DK Frost - Skullcrusher
    Alt lvl 70 Alliance Paladin Ret - Grim Batol

Funny story happened to me, you see I had not played wow in forever and i came back to wow last year and I asked my brother to run me through heroic BC dungeons and we went to Magisters'Terrace. When we reached the last boss Kael my brother 1 hit him and I ran up to Kaels body and looted it and guess what happened, a mount dropped The Swift White Hawkstrider . At first I was like oh cool a mount , looks nice too then in the corner of my eye I see my brother angry and confused looking at me. I asked him what's wrong and he said - You fuck I farmed this mount for 3 months and you got it on the first run. I shit you not I did not understand how lucky I was ...

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. prochaos

prochaos VIP

Played Wow late BC to mid WOD.
    Here my main http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/haomarush/Prochaos/simple
    Too many good memories in that game, wish i had the time to raid these days but the addiction must stop.
    These effort and time getting thunderfury, thoridal, ashes and insane title were all worth it and id do it again, damn i love this game

• Like Like x 1
  19. ArcticFox29

20. prochaos

prochaos VIP

EU that is :p