Workshop mods. (INSURGENCY Addition)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hongo, Mar 7, 2019.

1. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

Previous administration decided that workshop mods were not included in the 'altering' your game- this came up in a case where users were using wireframe models, and there was a lot of pushback from the community on this. It looks like the current administration has changed their thoughts on this however based on the fact that these are add-ons that are accepted in to the Garry's Mod workshop, are widely advertised and available for any players to use as a normal supported add-on addition to their client, and due to the fact that there is literally no way for staff to even enforce these rules other than players admitting that they use them.

If this is the case, there should probably be an official update given on this seeing as there are a lot of different items that can be considered unfair advantage such as:

- White wireframe mood that make gun models easier to see from a distance.
    - Increased gore mods - this has higher blood splatter making it easier to see if someone is shot from a far distance.
    - The Insurgency mod that Hongo is mentioning here to relating to bullet sounds.
    - The paintball mod making it easier to see where bullets lands since the bullet damage hole is replaced by paintball splatter.

These are all incredibly common and players that currently play on the server are absolutely using these mods.

@Fear☠ 's answer to that Q&A is inconsistent with prior SGM administrations, so if a change was made relating to this, there should probably be an update to the community letting them know.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Hongo

Hongo VIP

this mans a bloody god.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Ted

Ted The knight in white armor! Silver

Hey there Hongo,

Let me put this out of the shadows for you.
    This game is made on 24 december 2004, so having a upgraded PC is almost useless and will add nothing.
    Additional stuff as a better mouse, mousepad and electronic keyboard is for us as staff no way we can validly check on players and will most likely due to online connections, ping and the original lagg you have on the host not add anything, unless you play in single player mode (Please, the 0.5 seconds you press a key/mouse faster is destroyed by the 10 ping difference).

What we can check however is if you can pinpoint the shots. This so forward can end up in a slay or even a ban if found that you had a significant advantage.

So this said i don't discourage you to take mods, but what i encourage you to do. Be careful of what mods you add and that they don't hold any more value as the original game sound has.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Teroxa

Teroxa Vier Fäuste für ein Halleluja VIP Silver

There was no official change to the ruling on this under the new administration.

Personally, my initial stance was similar to how we treat macros.
    If they are simple addons for QOL or cosmetic improvements they're of course fine. Once they give you a significant competitive advantage, they aren't allowed, no matter the origin of said add-on.
    However, @neutral has a point here.
    Workshop content is indeed wide spread, especially on gmod, since the very concept of the game itself is based on modifying it.

Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate how we handle situations like this and officially and publicly formulate a rule/protocol for this.
    I'll bring this up with the team and the administration will get back to you with an official word on this.

In the meantime, please post you opinions in this thread. Keep the discussion going, we're listening.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

Yeah, Fear just messaged me asking me more info on what I said.

Apparently his answer stemmed from a misunderstanding of a ban I made (the wireframe mod) that was a mistake on my part, and that ban was voided at the time. So it sounds like this whole thing is just confusion on Fear's part.

That ban was lifted and voided at the time. We didn't make an announcement on it because there isn't very many threads saying "what is allowed" -- the rules focus on what isn't allowed. Regardless, enforcement of this throughout SGM's history is what you can look at to see how this was handled in the past. Hell, there was a time when half of staff was using the paintball mod and that absolutely can give you a benefit in the game mode.

So if enforcement is changing and players are being warned not to use specific workshop mods-- it needs to be stated that workshop mods that might provided a benefit are not allowed. This is different from SGM's way of historically handling it in the past and if it is going to be treated differently, players need to be aware so they can fix their clients as people using these mods on SGM is incredibly common.

6. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

just don't upload videos of you playing or talk about the addons ezpz

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

i have a mod that replaces all gun sounds (firing, impact, whizzing) with bow and arrow. huge is hilarious.

antiquated technology advantage, 'cause those impact sounds could give a deaf man a heart attack, jfc.

8. Fear☠

Fear☠ The Dark Lord VIP

As Helix already said, I spoke with him in PMs and with that I found out, that the old adminstration discussed this matter back in the day.
    Sadly, no official statement became public about this matter.

The staff team will in the near future discuss this matter, until then all players are free to use workshop mods.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

Uh... does this really matter? Does it really give any kind of serious advantage? Not really. "If it makes the gun louder or more directional" well cant kill on sound can you dumbass? "I can see through my gun" yeah, I can see a lot of stuff too if I just crank up my FOV. Besides, unless you use the fucking HUGE, you can usually see most things on your screen.

Also to all the people who said that staff can't enforce it, you are wrong. However, they shouldn't be forced to. Utter waste of their fucking time. If someone has a super advantage that clearly breaks the game, tell them to stop and ban them for hacking. Not that fucking complicated. The fact that this needs to be "discussed" blows my noggin.

Here, let me fix your problem: "Client side mods are allowed so long as they do not provide a major game play advantage to the user (This will be dealt with on a case by case basis)" You are welcome.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hongo's already a tryhard at the game. Who cares if he hacks anyway? It won't change anything.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Syn

Syn VIP

carrying props around as shields > actual game tactics