Answered Why is this a rule?

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by sleepy panda, Dec 24, 2019.

1. sleepy panda

sleepy panda A panda that may be sleeping VIP Bronze

So how is walking in front of a gauss rifle shot any different from walking in front of a normal bullet? I understand if the damage was from the explosion but there’s absolutely no reason that walking in front a gauss shot shouldn’t be considered crossfire.

2. Sticky Bandit

Sticky Bandit Never fall below your standard VIP Bronze

because if them walking in front of the bullet killed them there's a good chance the splash damage would have too.

Unless like, it's straight up something like you're shooting at a guy in a tower on rooftops and then someone literally walks between you and the tower, like halway between, and you hit that guy instead so it's obvious cross-

ok yeah why is that a rule?

3. Peach

Peach sweet c: VIP Silver

Who told you it isn’t crossfire?? As long as you warn for it before shooting, it would absolutely be crossfire... You just need to warn since it’s an explosive.

Edit: taken straight from extended rules

2. CROSSFIRE
    1. A situation where a player accidentally causes damage or damages another player while trying to damage someone/something else with a valid reason.
    2. Not considered RDM.
    3. Does NOT apply to props.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  4. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

Hello, I wasn't around when the gauss rifle was added as a permanent T-weapon but I guess because of the explosion damage they decided to treat it under the same rules as a frag nade. You have to warn before use, and then none of the damage is rdm.

5. sleepy panda

what I mean, warning shouldn’t be necessary if someone walks in front of you. Should I warn my t buddies when I shoot so they don’t walk in front of me?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  6. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

The idea is that the gun is an explosive weapon and as such splash damage is common. If you fire a normal gun there won't be any splash damage and therefore crossfire can be, and usually is, an accident. Gauss rifles on the other hand pretty much guarantee that most of the people surrounding the impact zone will take damage, and so if your traitor buddies are nearby you should warn that you are going to use it. I mean, if your T buddies aren't around then warning is not realistically necessary. It is just that you are responsible for the damage.

7. sleepy panda

I’m not referring to splash damage, I’m referring to a t buddy walking in front and taking a direct shot.

8. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

Yeah it makes no difference. You have to warn because it is an explosive weapon. You may disagree with the rule, but that is beyond the scope of this QNA

9. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

I was part of the radical thinkers who got the rule to the place it is now a days; the Gauss was added during the first few months of death scene and it didn’t play as much into the ruling; the first thing that was ultimately strived for with the current ruling was consistency.

However, I can see a few benefits of splitting this up into two types of crossfire situations since deathscene can give you a great perspective on things; crossfire with the bullet projectile and crossfire with the explosive.

Crossfire with the bullet could be treated as any other bullet hitting an inadvertent target with or without warning, whilst crossfire with the explosive would be treated as any other explosive having some extra unanticipated splash damage.

Warning could negate any need for rule change, sure. But splitting it up may help newer homies stick around

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019