Answered Why is there no forgive option when it comes to reports?

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by nikki, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikki

nikki Dutch female gamer: cocky, rude/toxic. VIP Bronze

On other servers, when the Victim reports the Reported Player, the Victim sees the Reported Player's response and can choose wether to forgive him or not. Why not add this? The atmosphere is a LOT nicer when you can choose to forgive people, mistakes happen in TTT, it is part of the gamemode.

There is literally no downside to this. Also why is F8 disabled?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

Allowing people to see responses promotes arguing and accusations of lying, thus more arguments with staff because you think you know more than staff members.

F8 is disabled for the same reason that players think they know the logs better than staff, when you don't.
    It also promotes ghosting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  3. Mason

Mason Banned VIP Silver

There are a few reasons for this.
    1. The victim's response could cause more arguing (it could be rude too and nobody needs an unnecessary fight)
    2. Giving the choice to not slay will make people more lenient about what they kill for as there is a chance you could always get the person to forgive you
    3. To lead off of number 2, if someone sees a person kill their friend because they know they will be forgiven, this could lead to the person killing the killer, then another person killing the killer, and so on.

4. nikki

I disagree, arguing will always be there, and giving the Victim the option to forgive or not will only increase player relations,
    Lying being '' promoted '' means absolutely nothing because if they are lying they will be slain anyway, because they are lying lol.

I have been an admin on another server for a year, and 8/10 of the regs forgive eachother when they make a mistake. It makes for a MUCH better atmosphere.

LittleJohnny might RDM me, and I would obviously not choose to forgive him if his response is '' fuck you faggot '' but if Johhny's response is '' oh wow so sorry dude, thought you did bla bla '' or something else that sounds apologetic or reasonable, I want to be able to forgive him.

Also the EU minecraft server literally has the whisper command enabled, so how does F8 cause more ghosting than being able to !psay lol?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. nikki

1. So what if it's rude? People are rude all the time, and the Reported player will be slain in that case anyway, any further harrassment will lead to a gag/temp ban.
    2. This is the only good argument. But it's really not that big of a deal, because they can get killed by all the innos for killing their friend afertwards, so it really isn't worth it.
    3. The 1st friend who thought it was funny to kill his friend should take responsibility for starting the RDM train and he should be slain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

You can see the logs so you can tell someone the damage logs.

It promotes arguing between players and staff.

And if 8/10 Players forgive the 2/10 are at a disadvantage and it's unfair.
    Im telling you as one of the longesr serving staff members that it will not work on the servers for the reasons stated.

7. nikki

1. You can only see last round's logs as a non-staff member.

2. What? How? They can choose not to forgive anyone that rdm them or makes a mistake, I don't get your point.

8. Falcor

Falcor ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ VIP Silver

Just another reason why you can not forgive people....
    As said, it promotes RDM between friends. Which can cause other players to lower there karma.
    Say player A and B are friends and innos
    Player A starting crowbaring shooting player B
    Player C (who is also inno) comes up and shoots either one or both players, not knowing what going on.
    Which leads player C to lose Karma.
    And we all know having karma lower then 1000 effects the damage you give, and noone really wants to deal less damage. And to many mistakes can lead to a karma ban.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. nikki

This wouldn't happen as much as you guys claim it would, after all we're all here to play the game. The pros heavily outweigh the cons IMO, people are much friendlier with eachother on servers with this feature. You can also make it against the rules to kill your friend for '' fun '' even if he forgives you in the report. But it barely happens so I don't see how the karma argument holds. You might aswell ban t baiting, I can shoot towards the Detective without hitting him and have him kill me, making him lose karma.

tl;dr Friends killing eachother for '' fun '' doesn't happen 24/7, because no-one likes being dead.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Falcor

Falcor ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ VIP Silver

Actually excessive T baiting is bannable by Admin discretion.
    In a way you are intentionally lowering anothers player Karma.

And I've seen many instances where players who are friends think its funny to damage there friends.....
    And any damage given is RDM. You do not have to die for it to be RDM.

The fact is still the same it promotes RDM on the server.

11. nikki

'' The fact is, it promotes RDM '' is such a great overstatement lol, it doesn't happen that much, and if two friends do it to eachother, slay them anyway. Giving the option to forgive promotes laidbackness and friendlines.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

1. Search for similar threads before posting new ones.

2. We aren't all here to play the game. Many times I have seen friends wanting to forgive each other because they are friends who intentionally RDM'D each other.

3. We have many new players on our servers that don't understand our rules as in depth as others. Many times, it's easier for a staff member to get the point across as to why a player is killed. Players are more receptive to someone with staff rank.

4. Say you're walking along and I shoot and kill you for what you think is no reason. I reply that I saw you walk by an unidentified body. That report then becomes word vs word. While you think I should be slain, a staff member would not slay me. This can increase the chances of arguments occurring on the server.

5. It can increase the instances of backseat moderating. Players would argue with staff when they feel a person needs slain that doesn't need slain. It would be best to just leave it to staff members to be the moderators between two players.

6. This has been suggested and the majority of the community doesn't like the idea. It takes the majority of the community to get something implemented like this.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Ravin

Ravin Determination VIP

I believe this has been answered fully by multiple members of the community. I will leave it unlocked for further discussion, but this question has been answered.

14. nikki

1. Most of those threads are locked, and I wanted to state my points.

2. If other people get killed as a result of their trolling, they will be slain for every inno that died as a result of that.

3. The staff member can PM the reported player what they did wrong even if they were forgiven on their report.

4. Get an admin to clarify who is right. People will always be mad and disagree, even if you don't give the option to forgive. Staff is already PMing people they slay to explain them why they were slain, so nothing changes in that aspect.

5. Again just get an admin to clarify who is right, if they continue; gag or mute them. Arguments between players will ALWAYS pop up and are just a part of TTT and every online videogame. I don't see how adding a forgive option does anything to increase the arguing.

15. ZaneLoehr (Masochist Ver.)

ZaneLoehr (Masochist Ver.) Warehouse 13 Next Generation VIP

Yes, indeed arguing is always going to be a part of the game, but why would you implement a means that would create more arguments?

The system is fine the way it is currently, there is no need to allow players the option of forgiving each other (They have the option to forgive goomba stomps.)

If it's really needed a moderator could always seek admin discretion to forgive players for any instance where it seems like it's needed.

16. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

1. The locked threads would contain your answer to why we don't have the system implemented.

2. Slaying those players would require admin discretion. We almost always have Admins to offer the discretion, but it would create unneeded demand for them.

3. Why let staff members get questioned on their decision. Players get upset enough as is and letting them see what the other player said will cause more arguments. More information always causes panic.

17. Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub

Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub i'm thinking i'm thinking VIP

Hi nilz,

The question has already been answered, but I thought I'd throw in some more information. Try to think of reports and slays as a means of learning from your mistakes. With the punishment of waiting out a round, the idea that you did something wrong and need to not do it again becomes quite clear. A worry of mine is that instead of learning how to properly play the game by reading the !motd and extended rules on the forum, people would simply learn how to be forgiven for their RDM through apologies and excuses, and continue to RDM when it could have likely been stopped in its tracks a long time ago.

As you said, yes, mistakes do happen in TTT, but it's important to learn from those mistakes as well, and be more careful the next time around. For instance, if you're throwing a grenade or shooting randomly or whatever and accidentally hit someone, the question shouldn't be, "Will I be forgiven for that accident", but rather "Why was I doing that in the first place, especially if I wasn't ready to accept a punishment for it?". "Mistakes" in TTT are still RDM on this server. People who are making mistakes and getting slain need to obviously learn from those mistakes in order to stop RDM'ing. That is a very important concept here. That being said, there are still exemptions to this.

1: If a player goomba stomps you and causes you damage/kills you, you will be asked by any present staff members if you want to forgive them.

and

2: If an Admin is online, and someone RDM's you, you can ask the Admin to use discretion and not to slay him for RDM'ing you, (they won't always oblige, but usually). Also, instead of having their response to the report pop up for you to read, you can simply ask a staff member what they said in response.

Although it is a very ideal world to have players simply forgiving one-another, and getting full access to the damage logs, there is a gigantic potential for abuse there. As well as, what I'd call, a general unnecessary addition to the current system. Remember that the rules and staff members are what hold up the servers, for the job of a staff member to be easier we would not want to incorporate forgiveness for reports, nor add in the F8 logs for the public, the best thing to do is try to get everyone to read and follow the rules, and I feel like this suggestion doesn't do much other than deter that goal.

Keep thinking of ways to better the server, though. The system here is pretty good, but things can always be better. Just make sure to use the search bar.

18. Chastity4lyfe

Chastity4lyfe *Eye roll* VIP Silver

Personally, i've staffed on servers with a forgive option, and it did not cause issues at all. It made things a lot easier, and I never had to deal with people fighting, even with the trolls. I will always be in favor of a forgive option as i've experienced it in TTT gmod before and thought it was great, from both a player and staff standpoint.

EDIT: We never had players see the f8 logs anyway. They just had to report pop back up when the player responded and had the option to forgive or not. But I can also see RDM between friends being a problem, but never experienced that issue.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. DieKasta

DieKasta :Blackalien: Forever VIP

It's not as if this issue has never been discussed. It's just that the cons of the forgive option seem to outweigh the pros in the eyes of the majority of the community.

This is not the same community as the one you used to be a part of. Things aren't always gonna be the same. If you can learn to live with the fact that the "forgive" option won't be available here, you'll enjoy your time here. If you can't live with it, this isn't the community for you.

20. nikki

Hello friend.

I think the option to forgive a player is a great way to bond with other players and learn the rules, the admin can and should PM the reported player what he did wrong, wether he was forigven or not. And let's be honest, how many people actually read the extended !motd when they join a server? Not a lot. Almost everyone learns through trial and error.
    There is only a VERY VERY small minority who comes up with clever lies so they can continue their trolling, there are not a lot of the people who are like this and eventually they give themself away anyway. And even if he was forgiven 3 times for blatant rdm, you can still slay him using your own discresion.

I still don't see how the victim getting the option to forgive the reported player hinders this, if it's blatant RDM then they will most likely not be forgiven. I do not consider randomly throwing incends/discombs a mistake at all, you shouldn't be doing that in the first place. But lets say the victim forgives the discomb thrower and he kills someone AGAIN next round, slay him twice next round.
    I very much disagree with you when you say mistakes is still RDM, RDM implies that it's random, for no reason. We've all blown up a barrell and had some guy run into it, killing himself. Or missheard a KOS and killed the wrong person, this is not random death match, because you had a reason. This is a huge part of TTT and even if you've been playing for years you are still bound to make mistakes.

2. Forgive option would be just as easy IMO, and in the case of a forgive option the reported player would know that the victim chose to forgive him, instead of the admin deciding not to slay him.

How is this heavily abusable though? You can only check last round's damage logs and allowing players to forgive eachother only spreads the love. If anything, allowing the !psay (PM) command to be allowed by everyone is what's heavily abusable.

Chastity4lyfe

Personally, i've staffed on servers with a forgive option, and it did not cause issues at all. It made things a lot easier, and I never had to deal with people fighting, even with the trolls. I will always be in favor of a forgive option as i've experienced it in TTT gmod before and thought it was great, from both a player and staff standpoint.

EDIT: We never had players see the f8 logs anyway. They just had to report pop back up when the player responded and had the option to forgive or not. But I can also see RDM between friends being a problem, but never experienced that issue.

Thanks for the support, I am in the same boat as you, this system is implemented on my regular server, the players love it, and it saves staff a lot of work. I really love it when 2 players manage to work it out between themselves, they usually end up as friends.

I always thought every server had this feature which is why I brought it up. I don't see why the f8 logs are disabled when you can get the logs through the console though. I like to be able to check the logs myself, admins are not perfect human beings who never make a mistake.

Sorry for any eventual typos, I am tired and I just got back from work.

Much love, mister meatballs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.