Answered Who are the night shift staff?

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by Woet, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Woet

Woet ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎ VIP

Every single day, especially during the week, there is no staff online between 06:00 and 14:00 UTC. This causes rampant RDM, mass RDM, mic spam, and at least 2-3 hackers every single day. If there is staff, it's usually US staff that stayed up late and join for 3 minutes before passing out.

This hasn't been a recent thing, this has been an issue for months, if not years. I've already asked several mods and admins, and no one seems to know the answer to this question. Who are the night shift staff?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  2. Dodley27

Dodley27 Dolfin VIP Bronze

I'm night shift

3. dazza

dazza Banned VIP Bronze

heh this has been something sgm has always struggled with , even when we did have dedicated "night" "day" and "eu" staff groups, nobody ever really staffed their assigned timezones, these days its just a rush to fill the slots with anyone and everyone then these mods just staff till they reach the 15 hour minimum and then say okay fuck staffing sgm i have the hours i need to keep my rank , where as having the dedicated staffing timezones did sort of help that and meant na mods didnt steal eu mod hours then leave their na servers at peak unstaffed

to answer your question, there are no night staff

4. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

We do not have a dedicated night staff team right now, but I do have plans in that regard. As far as EU goes, we still sort of have a few EU teams.

5. Woet

Woet ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎ VIP

Can't wait until you're promoted to an actual mod. :)

As far as I've been told, admins usually pick applications that match their shift. How is that expected to happen if there are no night shift admins? The lack of staff during these times have been an issue since November 2017, yet new staff applications can easily take 3-4 months, if not longer.

6. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

You are correct, the problems associated with finding volunteers on a gmod server are two fold: we need quality applicants and applicants that can fit a specific time. Very rarely do we find people who fit both criteria. We are often forced to sacrifice one for the other, and people are not so happy. Such is life though. My plan is to find an admin who's hours are already pretty much inline with what we would consider night, and then designate them a night admin who should specialize in finding applicants who can do night hours. This may take some time, and if no admin is present that can do those hours then we may have to consider moderators who show enormous potential and promote them to night admin.

This process is slow and will take time. Finding people who consistently staff late at night, who don't burnout so easily, and who are of good quality, is not so simple i'm afraid.