What is your definition of music?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Mr. Disco, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

My definition of music is the beat that moves you causes you to either relax or get up and jump around like a mad man with four arms and eight legs. This is what a beat can do to me. Music is various things to people, to most people it's about relating to something. People usually relate to the type of music that contains lyrics that remind them of where they grew up, romance, dreams, basically just fantasy. Honestly though music to me is more than just that though. Music is about expressing yourself, and the type I listen to is how I express myself. I like strange kinds of music that might seem extreme, however I enjoy them because it's my expression, what is it, well there's a song for everything. For every mood I have, I would have a song. The main reason I like multi-genre bands is because of their variety in songs. It's wonderful, there's a song for every mood, and since you like the band and their style for each mood would already be set to your liking's, or probably. So the definition of music simply a question that is subjective, when you're speaking in technical terms. Music is a subjective art form. Art is subjective. thanks bye i don't know why I made this

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

"Music is like magic there’s a certain feeling you get when you're real and you spit and people are feeling your shit"

Music is effectively anything that can convey emotions through sound. Whether that emotion be something such as a happy easy going sound:

or convey a heavier emotional message:

I don't think one single definition of music is appropriate as it would confine the artistic ability of people who make music and enjoy making it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Base music is unnatural sequences of sounds. Then you take into account harmonies, which are several instruments phasing in and out of the same key. Then there's lyrics, which portray a concept or idea onto the instrument's sounds.

4. son

son VIP

Sounds that I can get off to.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. I'd say any arrangement of sound intended to be music is music