What do you want out of deathrun?

Discussion in 'Deathrun Discussion' started by Elvis, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

Well really I already have my plans with gaining the attention of new players. With this thread I’m trying to gain the attention of the players already in the community.

2. Pokeben10

Pokeben10 tell me pretty lies Moderator VIP Silver

I want to be able swap to holstered. The M9 Bayonet has a cool animation when you take it out, but you can only see it once per life since all you've got is the knife.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pokeben10

Also fix the crowbars at the beginning of each map. I paid for my knife :rage:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Elvis

Pm me about this so I can figure out what the fuck this means haha

Elvis#4427

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. littlememe

littlememe nothinglastsforever VIP Bronze

maybe remove the least liked maps (like that bright lego one :mad:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Elvis

Yeah don’t worry that’s on the list of removals.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zareaper

Zareaper Lord of the underworld VIP

my biggest issue with deathrun was death was fun to be but when you got people just bhoping over everything kinda makes it unfun period

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  8. Titan

Titan SGM's official music nerd Administrator VIP Bronze

This is something I share. Today was fun on death run, but I remember fondly in years past just having one person bhop past everything instantly, forcing the death to chase them and making it a free run for everyone else.

That's not fun. But, that didn't really happen today as much. Of course some people bhopped, I bhop, but nobody just zoomed to the end. I don't think anything can be done about this. Just sharing my opinion.

9. Elvis

I have some ideas of helping with this, however I dont want to take away from the runners experience so its going to be hard to find a good balance.

10. Titan

Titan SGM's official music nerd Administrator VIP Bronze

If you have some good ideas, go for it. But. I don't know how you go about limiting that without somewhat ruining the fun of being a runner.

11. Zareaper

Zareaper Lord of the underworld VIP

I think one of the only ways to prevent that people hoping over traps is to remove bhop

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. ori with a gun

ori with a gun just vibin VIP

yeah but from someone who doesn't bhop speaking for everyone here, deathrun is kinda boring if you can't bhop

13. Carl

Carl Kachow! VIP

Bro my guys, auto bhop is a thing and it’s literally so easy. Auto bhop is even better than manually bhoping so there’s no point to say that.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  14. ori with a gun

ori with a gun just vibin VIP

Should have made it clear I was replying to Zarock96. I am working on my bhop and it’s not the reason I don’t play deathrun often, it’s just not populated

15. Carl

Carl Kachow! VIP

Ahh this makes more sense. And yeah population is a big issue for me as well.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  16. Pokeben10

I wanna be able to practice the map even if there aren't enough people to have a runner and a death. Like how you're just stuck in spectator, I wanna not be in spectator.

17. Elvis

We have a ghost mode. Type !ghost in chat to play the map while you are dead or in spectator.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Orion

Orion He is Exalted Administrator VIP

I share the same concerns as some people who have spoken here. I've already spoken to you about this, but I'll just put it here as well so it's documented.

I have nothing against Deathrun, everything I say about it is a joke. In fact, I used to play a lot of Deathrun on TF2. So what is the problem? Bhopping. More specifically, people who just bolt through the entire map and leave everyone, including the deaths, behind. In TF2, you actually have to bait out the traps because there is no Bhopping and Scout has the same speed as everyone else and no double jump.

So to put it simply, everyone is on the same playing field, unless you're playing a class that is slower on purpose. You can't really go through the entire map without the deaths catching up to you. Now here, you have this huge gap of people that try to play that way and the one guy that jumps multiple traps in 1 jump. I would love to play deathrun if it was fun for both styles of play, and I know it's a hard thing to do.

You suggested a speed limit of 800. Honestly, I don't know how fast that is. If it's enough to jump a single trap without the player leaving everyone behind, that would be perfect because it appeals to the speedsters and also allows the more casual players to enjoy the map while also giving the deaths a chance to actually stop the speedster (even more for an inexperienced death).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Pokeben10

lmao idk why i didnt think of that

20. Elvis

The problem with introducing a speed cap is that I’ll be taking away from the runners experience. A lot of players that I see bhop or ask how they can learn to bhop shortly after seeing us do it, then they’re doing it as well. I’m trying to think of ways to instead buff the death rather than nerf the runner.

EDIT: maybe increase the area around the button claim so the death can get the buttons pressed easier and faster for those that are going zoom zoom

• Informative Informative x 1