Answered What constitutes as 'Gravedigging' and why was Unclebee gravedigging, and Melodica not?

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by Juice Juice™, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

https://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/gravedigging.55952/#post-593715
    Since apparently asking valid followups aren't allowed, I have to make another question thread.
    What's the difference between what Unclebee did, and what Melodica Man™ did?
    Both comments were completely relevant to the context of their associated thread, as far as I could tell.

Jabba never gave a distinction between the two, just explained one, so... What's the distinction?

2. Coinston

Coinston "But what if Robots" - Chris Wedge VIP

From what I have learned it's not based on the relevancy of the reply but more on the relevancy of the thread, for example, replying to an ancient thread based on a 2 year old meme vs replying to a thread that people can discuss a subject that will be relevant pretty much forever. Is this more what you meant?

3. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

Makes sense, but that also conflicts heavily with what I've heard before. Even in Jabba's post, he specifically said ' 'wasn't irrelevant in context of the thread'.
    I'm all for memes/shitposts being treated differently, it'd just be nice getting an official response.

4. Voca

Voca o.o Administrator VIP

When looking at gravedigging these are some things taken into consideration:

How long ago was it since last comment was posted?
    Is the thread relevant?
    Is the new comment rellevant to the thread?
    Would it have been better to post a new thread?

If we talk case by case this is how the 2 would be evaluated.

Uncle:
    - Last comment was 25months old (2 years and a month)
    - The thread was a shitpost discussion that already had been finished, so it wouldnt need a continuation.
    - The comment itself was actually derailing the threads main topic, into attempting to discuss something new, so it wasnt rellevant to the thread's topic.
    - Since a new topic was started, it would have been better to start a new thread, rather than comment on a finished one.

Melodicas:
    - Last comment was 8 months old (3 times less than Uncles)
    - Thread is always rellevant as long as people wish to take the test and post their results.
    - Comment was certainly rellevant as they commented their test results.
    - It would not have been better to start a new thread for the same purpose.